Dual antenna setup?

Reaction score
Anyone know if it is possible (does it improve signal strength?) to use an SMA T-adapter (splitter) to hook two antennas (complimentary: helical plus patch antenna) together for FPV flying? I'm not talking about a Diversity system, but just getting a splitter and plugging in both antennas, combining their input to the receiver? Thanks in advance.

seems overly complicated. If you have a non-diversity receiver, just get a premium helix antenna and keep it pointed in the direction of the Phantom.
If you pair that with a matching premium pinwheel on the transmitter, you should be fine. Depending on the power of your transmitter say at least 400mW a pair like that will get you many kilometers, longer than the range of your Phantom itself.

I have a diversity receiver and I find myself usually only attaching 1 antenna. If I'm in a low interference environment I just use the Rx pinwheel. if I attach my Rx helix, it's always the stronger signal so if I'm going to attach my helix, I only attach the helix there's no point in another antenna.

If $110 is in your budget, you can get the same 3 antenna kit I did from FPVLR.. it's a Tx pinwheel and then the Rx pinwheel and Rx helix antennas I mentioned before. I can link you if you want to look into it further

Thanks. But, I guess what I want to know is not whether it is overly complicated but whether it might be advantageous. Specifically, combining two antenna types might offer the benefit of long-range and short-range as one with a narrow line of signal could be combined with another with a wide angle signal.

so you're basically trying to get diversity out of a non-diversity receiver :)
the only "advantage" I can think of to having both a short range omnidirectional and a long range directional at the same time is that at short range you wouldn't have to have the antennas pointed directly at the Phantom (FPV transmitter).

like I said in my application, whenever I have BOTH antennas attached it NEVER uses the short range antenna, the helix is always the stronger signal.

anyway cheers, maybe someone else will have different input :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20