Drones/uavs and forensics

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post, thought I would come here given how active it looks. I am currently invovled in forensic analysis of UAVs and it probably is covered in the news, these devices can prove troublesome when in the wrong hands. Just wanted to ask a few questions about the technology involved in these devices as you guys will have a lot more knowledge than me.

here goes:-

1. Is there any programmable/ downloadable / 'open source' software available that you can programme locally, then upload to your drone. Or software that you can programme routes etc and then just 'sync' the route? This is probably a novice questions - apologies? I am curious as to how customisable software is on these. ANy software names I could go and look at would be appreciated.

2. in terms of traceability, what tech/software functionality allows a lost drone to be tied back to its owner?

3. What are the new developements in terms of software? I had a basic parrot drone, and flew it using my phone with the AR.freeflight2.4 app. I take it there is now more adavanced content available?

I appreciate any comments

Thanks

These are pretty broad questions.

<rest of post edited out in light of the below post>

Last edited:
First post, thought I would come here given how active it looks. I am currently invovled in forensic analysis of UAVs and it probably is covered in the news, these devices can prove troublesome when in the wrong hands.

And therein lies my very worried concern! Let me explain why....
  1. You joined this site today; no history
  2. You did not list your location
  3. Everyone misspells on occasion, but you did in first sentence - English not your native language?
  4. You SAY you are into "forensic analysis of UAVs" yet you seem to have zero knowledge of them.
How can you be into "forensics of UAVs yet know nothing about them? BIG RED FLAG to me!

Then you tell us it is all in the news anyway and then tell us about wrong hands....

YOU SCARE ME!

I truly doubt what you say and at this point I certainly would NOT share any information with you as I strongly suspect YOUR SIR are one of the "wrong hands."

Please try to prove me wrong!

Reactions: microraptor
Hi guys,

thanks for the reply, excuse the spelling, I wrote it in a rush. haha i feel a bit ashamed that you thought it was that bad!!

Also, I realise this might look weird, and rightly so tbf, I am new here, because I thought it would be a good place to start with regards to knowledge. I have a feeling I wont be able to win you round but just wanted to post anyway so it didnt look even more suspicious.

I am here purely for knowledge. Unlike traditional forensics, when you working with technology in forensics, you dont know everything and never will so when you encounter a new problem (UAVs...) you have to do R&D. Hence I was here.

Location = UK.

Reactions: BigAl07
Look I'm not comfortable answering these questions. I've got to be honest with you, they seem a bit odd.

First let me apologize for above...

WELCOME to our forum!! You'll find a wealth of knowledge, experience and sometimes "sarcasm" scattered throughout our forum. We're glad to have you on board and hope you find your answers and more.

For the rest of our members let's please be considerate and WELCOMING to new members. Don't forget we didn't know everything about UAS when we started and others along the way have given us guidance and support which we should ALL pay-it-forward.

imagesthink-before-you-speak.jpeg

I'll toss some answers to your questions:

1) Yes there are several available. One of the most common is Litchi. It allows many flight modes and features but also allows for pre-programmed (from your tablet or even from your PC) flight missions to be uploaded to the aircraft and then the aircraft flies autonomously from there to complete the mission.

2) With DJI (at least phantom series aircraft) you have to Register the aircraft via the DJI Go Ap in order to fly the aircraft. This requires you to have an account with DJI and ties the aircraft to your DJI identity. In the US we are required to have a registration # on the aircraft (Hobby or Commercial depending on your situation).

3) TONS! Check out Drone Deploy just as a sample of some of the advanced image acquisition options from a standard camera. Beyond that you can get very specific and advanced cameras (Thermal etc).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.