Drones now banned in Indiana State Parks

Amazing how it all works,
Something tells me money would be applied to said license
DNR is also working on a license that user could apply for that would allow drones on park grounds

Amazing how it all works,
Something tells me money would be applied to said license
DNR is also working on a license that user could apply for that would allow drones on park grounds
While that "could" be the case that's not always the case. Take the state of North Carolina for instance. Commercial UAS operation requires an NC DOT Aviation Division Permit. This permit is FREE of charge and simply requires you to answer a few personal questions and pass the online course.

That's always the answer with drones - ban it. Looks like the FAA has no intention of stopping the patchwork of laws and local regulations that are forming and taking precedence over federal law. Until legally challenged, commercial SUAS airspace is quickly vanishing for reasons of what could or might happen versus in response to what is actually happening. Is any city or park writing rules that say drones are authorized - very rare. Imagine when the first camera came out and if the government had banned it due to privacy concerns? Why are we so quick to give up our freedoms over worse-case concerns of what might happen and most of which never do. Common sense needs to be applied, not more regulations.

Reactions: GMack
..... Common sense needs to be applied, not more regulations.

The way cities work, regulations make them more money. A speeding ticket makes far more money than ticketing a homeless jaywalker who they seem to ignore around here.

No doubt a lot of public complaining about drones will cause some cities to think about creating a drone police division if not outright ban. Federal drone wardens perhaps in the deserts.

I still think most all cities will become NFZ's sooner or later. Maybe if you pay, have a $2-5 million liability insurance bond, and have a 107 you can fly within one - maybe.

I'm not sure they can actually enforce it. It's not up the the FAA to challenge states rights it's up to the people it affects using the fact that FAA writes the law.

So I'm not from the area, but couldn't you still launch next to the park, if it is a legal/owner approved area and fly over the park with no consequences, right? But I would make sure where I'm going so I don't have to land in the park for some battery issue, etc.

Common sense needs to be applied, not more regulations.
I'm on your side but, unfortunately, common sense is a rare commodity these days. Not enough of it! There always seems to be knuckleheads who ruin it for all of us

Texas has banned drones in state parks for several years. Their policy is left up to the individual park managers as to approve one time use for drone use in their park. I was approved for the San Jacinto Monument and USS Texas, but not approved for the state park in Balmorhea state park. Go figure.

The FAA considers drones aircraft. Commercial, business, helicopters and general aircraft are all obviously aircraft, so why are those aircraft allowed over the park but drones are not. Seems to be Indiana is attempting to regulate one form of aircraft while allowing others.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4