Drones in and around Los Angeles

Reaction score
I am looking to find a place to shoot some drone footage of people riding longboards, skateboards, etc. Can you recommend any good places where drones are allowed and I can take my friends?

Thanks!

Longboards I think you'll find them mostly at a beach and any beach will do and skateboards at a skatepark (preferably outdoors). As far as I know, there isn't any "bans" on these kinds of places (unless it's a national park but I don't think you'll find either there anyways) as long as it's nowhere near an airport (~4-5 miles or from any air activity).

Longboards I think you'll find them mostly at a beach and any beach will do and skateboards at a skatepark (preferably outdoors). As far as I know, there isn't any "bans" on these kinds of places (unless it's a national park but I don't think you'll find either there anyways) as long as it's nowhere near an airport (~4-5 miles or from any air activity).

UPDATE: Drones/UAVs are banned in all City of Los Angeles Parks. Effective December 2nd, a new ordinance in the City of L.A. will mirror current FAA guidelines and adds that you can only fly from official Sunrise to Sunset. No more night flights! Also, you must maintain 100% LOI without the help of FPV. Also, if you're caught flying and breaking the rules you risk having your bird confiscated "impounded per se" and may face up to $1000 in fines and/or six months in jail.

Drone pilots could get jail time, fine for violating new L.A. ordinance

Last edited:
Dayam.....cracking down

I would say that Los Angels is flying against the wind. We all want to be safe but safety can be made by providing good sites to fly.

I would say that Los Angels is flying against the wind. We all want to be safe but safety can be made by providing good sites to fly.

Technically speaking, these new "City ordinances" such as in Los Angeles and West Hollywood are illegal since cities and municipalities do not have the right to implement or enforce such laws. Only Congress and the federal government can create laws that govern air space. On that note, I still would not like to fight this in any court but if you find yourself in such situation you can certainly raise the issue.

UPDATE: Drones/UAVs are banned in all City of Los Angeles Parks. Effective December 2nd, a new ordinance in the City of L.A. will mirror current FAA guidelines and adds that you can only fly from official Sunrise to Sunset. No more night flights! Also, you must maintain 100% LOI without the help of FPV. Also, if you're caught flying and breaking the rules you risk having your bird confiscated "impounded per se" and may face up to $1000 in fines and/or six months in jail.

Drone pilots could get jail time, fine for violating new L.A. ordinance
that's awful. no public parks. that sucks. where do they expect one to fly? obliviously they don't give a rats A##

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj