Drones abroad? Traveling on a cruise, restrictions

Reaction score
Are there restrictions for traveling with a DJI drone? As in, will I have any issues at the airport? I'm going on a cruise in December, leaving Florida, going to the Bahamas, a private island, then back to Florida. Should I even bother bringing it? or will I get in trouble for having it at the Bahamas? I don't want to waste the money to check it on the plane, and carry it around if I don't have to. I think I would get amazing shots.. and make a great video, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money, headache of possibly getting in trouble, destroying it, or even having it confiscated while on an island.

If anyone has any experience, please help me out.

As an officer in the U.S. Navy, I would advise against this. Not due to any restrictions, but rather the odds of losing your bird. I'm a public affairs officer and I know aboard the ships I've served on, our cameras and microphones go totally haywire due to the radars and electrical interference. I would imagine your going to experience the same on a cruise ship, although not as bad aboard an aircraft carrier. While the photos would be amazing, I just wouldn't risk it.

Dave

Davehecht said:
As an officer in the U.S. Navy, I would advise against this. Not due to any restrictions, but rather the odds of losing your bird. I'm a public affairs officer and I know aboard the ships I've served on, our cameras and microphones go totally haywire due to the radars and electrical interference. I would imagine your going to experience the same on a cruise ship, although not as bad aboard an aircraft carrier. While the photos would be amazing, I just wouldn't risk it.

Dave

Good afternoon, Sir. I was a Marine, and hats off to you for serving. As I understand your concern, I won't be using this on the ship itself.. but instead on the corresponding island visits, a private island, and the Bahamas. I believe those are our only 2 stops on our 5 day cruise. I was hoping to use it on the beaches, and during some of the attractions.

What cruise line? I´m going on a 21 nights "Back 2 Back" cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship and they said that they normaly doesn´t allow multirotors, but since I was willing to hand it in during the time onboard I got permission to bring it. I have this in written and I will bring this paper with me.

You should not check in LiPo batteries on flights, they should be in your carry on bag. I will bring my Phantom 2 in a backpack and use that as my carry on bag.

ExtraKim said:
What cruise line? I´m going on a 21 nights "Back 2 Back" cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship and they said that they normaly doesn´t allow multirotors, but since I was willing to hand it in during the time onboard I got permission to bring it. I have this in written and I will bring this paper with me.

You should not check in LiPo batteries on flights, they should be in your carry on bag. I will bring my Phantom 2 in a backpack and use that as my carry on bag.

Interesting, I'm going on a Royal Caribbean cruise as well. Who did you call/contact? I don't mind handing it in, as long as they gave it to me when I arrived at port. I wouldn't want it while underway anyways, I would probably lose it in the ocean, or take someones ear off at the pool :cry:

I sent a e-mail to Royal Caribbean in Sweden and explained that I wanted to use it for filming the caribbean nature and that I had no plans on using it onboard the ship. They contacted the ship and I got their permisson. Don´t know if you are a member on Cruise Critic, but what ever you do DON´T ask ANYTHING about multirotors on that board! A lot of people goes TOTALY mad.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Then by all means Marine, yes, take the bird with you. That's a great venue to get some cool aerials. Hooya!

Dave

Done it on Carnival cruise to western Caribbean Jul 2014. Took it on flight from LAX to MIA. Then onto cruise ship, off cruise ship, and flown around.

Obviously you can't fly while on the ship. However, once you are onshore, no issue (at least in the countries that I have visited).

3rd day into my cruise, the ship officer insisted that I keep my drone with them and retrieve it when I go onshore to ensure that I do not fly while on-board. Not an issue. Just pick it up when you get off and check it back in when you get on-board.

For anyone thinking of going on a Carnival cruise

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length and Drone Cameras. These items must be stored in stateroom.

I'll be taking my setup with me tomorrow for the Bahamas on Carnival

drone_pack.jpg

yawnalot29 said:
Obviously you can't fly while on the ship. However, once you are onshore, no issue (at least in the countries that I have visited).
Where did you go? Have you been flying in Aruba, Antigua, Barbados, Boniare, Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Lucia or St Thomas?

ExtraKim said:
yawnalot29 said:
Where did you go? Have you been flying in Aruba, Antigua, Barbados, Boniare, Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Lucia or St Thomas?

The other side: Mexico (Cozumel), Grand Cayman, Hondurous (Roatan), and Belize.

Okay im scheduled for a cruise on the Caribbean ship to Europe and just tried getting approval from them in boarding with my drone under the condition that I be willing to turn it in with a ships officer and have no intentions of flying while the ship is inroute. They can give it back to me when I port to europe stopping at various ports for 7 nights. I wanted a wriiten letter before my trip so i wouldn't have a problem and being honest verses sneaking it on and off 7 times. Well guess what they placed full restrictions in drones on all there cruises and would not allow me to board there ship with a drone. At this point Im bummed because that was the whole reason I was gonna go to Europe to capture footage from the air in 4K.

Done it on Carnival cruise to western Caribbean Jul 2014. Took it on flight from LAX to MIA. Then onto cruise ship, off cruise ship, and flown around.

3rd day into my cruise, the ship officer insisted that I keep my drone with them and retrieve it when I go onshore to ensure that I do not fly while on-board. Not an issue. Just pick it up when you get off and check it back in when you get on-board.

Getting permmission doesnt work anymore in 2015.

Okay im scheduled for a cruise on the Caribbean ship to Europe and just tried getting approval from them in boarding with my drone under the condition that I be willing to turn it in with a ships officer and have no intentions of flying while the ship is inroute. They can give it back to me when I port to europe stopping at various ports for 7 nights. I wanted a wriiten letter before my trip so i wouldn't have a problem and being honest verses sneaking it on and off 7 times. Well guess what they placed full restrictions in drones on all there cruises and would not allow me to board there ship with a drone. At this point Im bummed because that was the whole reason I was gonna go to Europe to capture footage from the air in 4K.
That is a policy of blanket ignorance.
I would have wanted to film onshore also.
Feel bad for you.

Anyone else with experience on cruise ships? specifically, I am going to Alaska on Norwegian, and would like to know their policy. On their website's FAQ, there's a list of prohibited items, and it doesn't mention anything about UAVs

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Kanina
Anyone else with experience on cruise ships? specifically, I am going to Alaska on Norwegian, and would like to know their policy. On their website's FAQ, there's a list of prohibited items, and it doesn't mention anything about UAVs

Thanks in advance
They will allow you to bring it. However it will need to be checked in while you are onboard. You can check it out when get off the ship. And then just check it back in when get onboard.

They will allow you to bring it. However it will need to be checked in while you are onboard. You can check it out when get off the ship. And then just check it back in when get onboard.

I would like to see how that is going to work. I've been on 8 NCL cruises. My wife and I always board with a carry on and a small backpack. I've never been ask what is in the bags.

Their is not one word about Drones on the NCL website

What can't I bring onboard?
Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors/beverages*, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal. *For more information read our FAQ "What about alcohol consumption and wine corkage?" Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.

I would like to see how that is going to work. I've been on 8 NCL cruises. My wife and I always board with a carry on and a small backpack. I've never been ask what is in the bags.

I carried my in the original P2V+ packaging. :) Got a big color picture of the P2V+ in front of it.

That said, I can retrieve it whenever I am getting off the ship. So not a big deal. I mean unless you want to fly while you are on the ship or while the ship is moving (not recommended), makes 0 difference really. I take my memory card, battery, and charger with me to my room. That's it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie