Dronefly Response to Free Battery Request

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned about getting two duds and having the distributor think they were nice to replace them.

I agree with them though. You didn't buy it during the offer period, just exchanged them.

I, too, have dealt with DroneFly. I was able to get a replacement for my first Vision, but it was with NO help from them. I had to get the ok email direct from DJI and forward it to them, then they offered to send me a shipping label. While I am bummed about the free battery, I realize that I preordered because I wanted the Vision as soon as I could... that's on me. Two valuable lessons for us all... NEVER be the first to get a new DJI product and when you do buy it, go through B&H! Simple as that.

Khakis1999 said:
Pete I see both sides. But I just feel I could have asked for a refund after 2 duds and I stuck with them. Than I make a cordial request and feel like that email was unprofessional. Guys on here who bought from B&hphoto are getting the free battery if within 30 day return period.

I feel your pain, like many others. I think the overall fault lies with DJI and not Dronefly. They are the ones who are doing a disservice to the early buyers.

That said, the dealers do have to make some choices on their own. Remember, when the invalid battery issue was in full bloom, B&H was replacing Visions while Dronefly was in "wait and see" mode.

Dronefly said:
we are probably the largest west coast distributor

We are free to direct our future business to B&H next time, correct?

Apparently the free battery from B&H was the result of a store policy of a 30 day Price Match Guaranty. I was denied because my purchase date was a few days out of the 30 day limit.
So it wasn't that B&H was just handing out free batteries. It was that store policy that they were honoring.

B&H are still great folks to deal with!!!!

Khakis1999 said:
Pete I see both sides. But I just feel I could have asked for a refund after 2 duds and I stuck with them. Than I make a cordial request and feel like that email was unprofessional. Guys on here who bought from B&hphoto are getting the free battery if within 30 day return period.

I'll give you my take on this and it won't be popular with a lot of folks...it's based on experience though.

I own a video company and use a lot of stills from game cameras. I don't buy one or two, I'll buy a half dozen when I use them.

I've tried giving the little fellows a break and always get let down. It's not that they don't want to service accounts, they simply can't and stay in business.....So I have a policy of always buying from larger companies like Adorama or B&H and Amazon.

I bought my Phantom from a small company in Maryland after I talked o them but it was through Amazon, on my AmEx which gives me extra protection. As a matter of fact, I ordered one from B&H and the rep I talked to didn't know anything about the quads and told me it was the latest, greatest.....and it wasn't. Went right back and I looked elsewhere.

Had I been in your position, I'd have sent it back for a refund the first time, then reordered somewhere else if they griped.

Batteries cost twenty five bucks. Consider it a cheap education about dealing with small shops.

we didnt buy it during the time the promotion was offered so we wont be getting free batteries plain and simple. here is the response from centuri heli

Unfortunately, DJI's promotion for the free battery is only valid from
12/11/13 through 12/25/13. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a good day.

Best Regards,
Sales Department

here is the response from DJI:

Dear ******

please contact your dealer .thank you .

I bought the Vision three weeks before the promo was announced through Amazon, and after I sent them the link of the promo, they sent me a battery.

Tough predicament for sure. I see all parties points, other than DJI. They are creating the mess, they could step up for those that contact them. To me, a free battery is the least DJI could do after two duds, let alone the promotion!

DJI is charging $100+ shipping on top of the promo. However, B&H is not, that's free shipping and killer service. I agree with Peter Glen and only do purchases of this size with the larger stores. I don't have to fear their service or price match if I need it. Dronefly did not do you a favor nor show extraordinary service with replacing them. They did what was expected and what is right by any consumer.

What credit card did you use? At this point I would ship that sucker back to Dronefly, dispute the restock with your CC based on two faulty units, you will win. Reorder from B&H and get your free battery. If it was the $25 battery I'd eat the cost to and move on. $160 battery, that's an issue worth fixing. Good luck!

Of The Opera said:
Khakis1999 said:
What I don't get is this. You have a 30 day return window whenever you buy anything I think it's the law.

Yes. You don't get it.

The "30 day return window" that you imagine is not law.
plus it was announced at 35 days so even if a 30 day return existed it was still announced on dec10 when most people took posession on nov 5th

After dealing with drone fly, b&H, atlanta hobby, and 1uas, I would have to say that I am pleased with 1uas and b&h. I called drone fly in regards to a purchase I made and they said "we are the largest DJI dealer in north america and if we don't have it, no one does" (this was in regards to buying a ground station while others had the same ground station at the same price with bundled items). Atlanta Hobby also said "we are the largest dji dealer in the world and we have the best price" (I asked if they would price match a phantom that everyone else had dropped and they still had at full retail). B&H also claimed to be the largest dealer and I think that might be closer to the truth. They have screwed up vacation times due to how Jewish holidays fall but they are really good and have good customer service. If it was based on price and speed, I go with 1uas (intelligentuas) because I've found that they are always the lowest price and they ship same day and I've found that I get items within 48 hours. Great for parts when you really need them. I've called them and they have very strict asian accents which makes it a little tough but they do their best.

In my opinion, 1uas or B&H is the only way to go. I'm buying the phantom 2 with 1uas because they gave me the $150 rebate off the top and I didn't have to wait.

I've also found that Aerial media and dslrpros are way over priced and neither are easy with getting in touch with.

I think you will find that everyone agrees with B&H. The other nice thing about them is that they sell more than the phantom which means they have more at risk from bad publicity and in turn focus more on customer service. I could be mistaken but I think they have staff that only handles phone calls and emails and they pride themselves on customer service. DJI makes pretty good products but the truth is that their stuff has a history of showing up DOA instead of ready to fly. Due to this fact, return policy and customer service is super important. If you were buying a sony camera or laptop I would say the dealer doesn't matter because it will for sure work out of the box. Not so with DJI.

also, the 30 day return policy is not a law.

Dronefly does have a 30 day return policy but it does state that once it is used, they will not take it back. I think breaking the seal on the box will make it "used". The best part of their return policy is the 15% restocking fee which on a phantom is almost $180. Combine that with the $40 to ship back and its cheaper to just buy another battery out right.

Lesson learned, DO NOT BUY FROM DRONEFLY (maybe there is a reason that rhymes)

buggs, I can't believe you got the battery from Amazon, I ordered mine from them on Tuesday and saw the promo on Wednesday, contacted them, sent them the link from the DJI website and they still said no I was shocked. So before it even arrived I got a return label and bought mine from B&H. Got it today and can't wait to try it out

Ksc said:
I think you will find that everyone agrees with B&H. The other nice thing about them is that they sell more than the phantom which means they have more at risk from bad publicity and in turn focus more on customer service. I could be mistaken but I think they have staff that only handles phone calls and emails and they pride themselves on customer service. DJI makes pretty good products but the truth is that their stuff has a history of showing up DOA instead of ready to fly. Due to this fact, return policy and customer service is super important. If you were buying a sony camera or laptop I would say the dealer doesn't matter because it will for sure work out of the box. Not so with DJI.

Another interesting thing about B&H...and Adorama and concern about their image....both have a customer service Rep who's sole job is to surf the net looking for problems, and fixing them.

I was fussing about a rep at B&H on a wildlife Photo site once. He told me an adapter, which was fairly common...didn't exist and I had to order it from somewhere else.

Within 15 minutes their rep was online asking who I talked to and when so they could listen to the recording, that they did carry the adapter and would send me one free and educate the Rep.

Helen Oster at Adorama does the same thing.

They want happy customers!

I know the feeling. I picked up my Phantom Vision from Dronefly on Thursday December 5. I called them about the promotion and they refused saying that it started on December 7th. Legally, they may be right, but you would expect better from them. Two days???? Give me a break!!!

Ksc said:
I've also found that Aerial media and dslrpros are way over priced and neither are easy with getting in touch with.

I concur.

I bought mine a few days before the promo. So just days from the promotion and my dealer is flipping painful to deal with and acted offended when I contacted them. I did my best impression of caring about their feelings, but after two apologetic emails from me over HIS misunderstanding, I have heard nothing back. Thanks guys!!!.

So why the hell is a customer apologizing trying to keep things good to get some good customer service? I thought it worked the other way....I hadn't demanded anything, simply asked if I could get in on it.

I have gone to DJI and humbly asked for a battery, even shipped at my cost. It's such a piss off because I spent good money on this....then they arbitrarily initiate what I consider an over the top promotion. 158$ value is no small thing. And simply put, those of us who got excited 2 days earlier get the finger. Un-freaking-believable.

DJI needs to vet their dealers better and deal with businesses that can afford, and get results from great customer service...

I'll keep you all up to date - BTW this is my first post. A bit ranty but valid.

Pain
ful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers