Drone used to film Treehouse Masters in Seatle

Reaction score
I know there is restrictions the FAA is trying to put on us for commercial use but I just watched an episode of Treehouse Masters which showed building a treehouse is Seattle. Since we here see so much aerial footage it was obvious to me some of the footage was shot from a camera mounted on a drone. How did they do this without the FAA approval. Or have they just not got caught. Here is a clip on YouTube where you can see around the 24 second mark the footage in question. The full episode had more footage.

http://youtu.be/VsvfWB2dbrI
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VsvfWB2dbrI[/youtube]

Your thought/ comments.

a) how do you know they did not get FAA approval?
And
b) how do you know it was filmed after the FAA restrictions were put in place?

a) based upon this article from Forbes, the FAA has only granted one approval for non hobby use. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... il-fields/

b) The FAA restrictions on RC operated aircraft only for non commerical use "FAA Advisory Circular 91-57" was issued in 1981. It was clarified in 2007 to state it specifically excludes individuals or companies flying model aircraft for business purposes.

So I doubt they had approval.

This is what I have had to do in order to operate a UAS for a Governmental agency:
1) Pass the FAA pilot Knowledge exam
2) Attain manufacturer certified training on the system you will operate.
3) Obtain a Class 2 medical certificate
4) Apply for, and receive a training Certificate of Authority (COA) from the FAA, then after FAA inspection attain an operational COA.
In addition you must:
5) Operate only in airspace allowed by the FAA.
6) Notify FAA one hour in advance of flight the location of use, purpose and duration (NOTAM)

I have made it to step #4. It is a long and arduous process but once completed I believe you may commercially fly a UAS or operate a UAS as a Governmental Agency.

what if, I own the property, and the drone?
I take the video for myself. When they come to do the filming, I show them my video and they want to include my video.
No money involved.

Can anyone show me the exact law that says unmanned aircraft can not be used for commercial purposes?
Or have we all forgotten so soon that the NTSB ruled the FAA can not cite on a law that does not exist!?

ISP5557 said:
This is what I have had to do in order to operate a UAS for a Governmental agency:
1) Pass the FAA pilot Knowledge exam
2) Attain manufacturer certified training on the system you will operate.
3) Obtain a Class 2 medical certificate
4) Apply for, and receive a training Certificate of Authority (COA) from the FAA, then after FAA inspection attain an operational COA.
In addition you must:
5) Operate only in airspace allowed by the FAA.
6) Notify FAA one hour in advance of flight the location of use, purpose and duration (NOTAM)

I have made it to step #4. It is a long and arduous process but once completed I believe you may commercially fly a UAS or operate a UAS as a Governmental Agency.

Somewhere along the line it will likely also require insurance coverage and some amount of hours in a flight log, and possibly communications capability and a local sectional.

Yes we use Zululog to keep track of our monthly currency. My agency requires three hours training per month and a minimum of 3 take off and landings. The state is self insured but if I wanted to go commercial I would be stupid to not have insurance to protect my investment, and for safety.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues