Drone sunk to bottom of waterfall, Need Help!

Reaction score
My phantom 3 professional recently was blown down and drowned 10ft into a murky river. We recovered it the following day because it was too dark to see anything the day before. I tossed the battery, opened it up and dried everything with a hairdryer, setting it now in rice. After everything is dried out, what is salvageable and what should I replace? Also, any recommendations for other ways to be sure everything will work properly? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My phantom 3 professional recently was blown down and drowned 10ft into a murky river. We recovered it the following day because it was too dark to see anything the day before. I tossed the battery, opened it up and dried everything with a hairdryer, setting it now in rice. After everything is dried out, what is salvageable and what should I replace? Also, any recommendations for other ways to be sure everything will work properly? Thanks!

don't bother with the rice, use a vacuum to get the water out, take the top shell off and get the mainboard out and soak it in 95 percent pure (or better if you can find it) isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes. Move the board around and try to be sure all the crevices have isopropyl alcohol in them. I used to fix iPhones and iPads that had water damage with this method only I used an ultrasonic cleaner with isopropyl alcohol but that was needed as the components were already corroded.

Don't soak the camera in alcohol though but you should vacuum out the gimbal motors really well. basically it might appear to work after it dries out but you have to prevent corrosion of the electrical components.

Not sure why you say don't bother with the rice ,many here have used it and it works .
Just saying .
Good luck djmccoy

Reactions: 750r
Not sure why you say don't bother with the rice ,many here have used it and it works .
Just saying .
Good luck djmccoy
the rice takes too long to get the moisture out, you have no idea how many people have told me they did the rice trick with their iPhones and they still got corroded and brought to me to fix.

Reactions: lookin4pain
Thanks for the tips! Just finished vacuuming out the board and motors, about to soak with isopropyl. After I finishing with it all I'll probably give it a day to cool off, should I go ahead and test it out afterward? Also, is there anything that might malfunction or I should have to worry about or look for(device lights, sounds or motor function)? Anything helps.

Thanks for the tips! Just finished vacuuming out the board and motors, about to soak with isopropyl. After I finishing with it all I'll probably give it a day to cool off, should I go ahead and test it out afterward? Also, is there anything that might malfunction or I should have to worry about or look for(device lights, sounds or motor function)? Anything helps.

the bearings in the motors are sealed, you still might want to blow some compressed air around them to be sure any debris is gone, same with the gimbal motors. After the alcohol has long evaporated I would go for a test flight, just hover around a bit and see how everything works.

Stupid question but.......since it was muddy water shouldn't you at least rinse (give it a bath) of clean water before drying it out? Its wet already........

This is better than rice. Its pure silica gel. It contains no dust or rice powder thats abrasive.

715fX3DaYsL._SY355_.jpg

Reactions: Prairie Pyro
Yeah, actually the first thing I did was rinse in water(forgot to mention). Since it was under for more than 16 hours I figured it wouldn't do any more damage than had already been done. Also, didn't know cat litter worked, appreciate the idea. I'm hoping the alcohol cleaned anything left by the rice. Anyhow, I'm gonna leave it to sit for the rest of today and not push for luck quite yet. I'll keep posted how it pans out. Thanks!

Rice has a dubious history on if it does or doesn't work. Below are a few that say it does and a few that say it doesn't. Personally I would go with deiccants like you get in new product packaging. It is usually in a tiny bag along with your item to prevent moisture on the trip to you from manufacturing.

Myth Debunked: Uncooked Rice Isn't the Best Way to Save Your Water-Damaged Phone « Smartphones

Rice Myth Busted: New Study Proves Using Rice to Dry a Wet Phone Is Not Effective | Business Wire

Using desiccants to soak up wet electronics

http://lifehacker.com/use-instant-rice-when-reviving-a-wet-phone-not-uncoock-1575785111

Putting your wet phone in rice probably won’t save it. But do it anyway

It really depends what you crash into. Salt water/Pee = faster corrosion, swimming pool of orange juice/coffee = grey dark fungi.
What I do is:
Metho Bath > Use tooth brush and metho for deeper clean. Let dry or use a hair dryer.
Then use rice or silica gel for a day or 2 to absorb any liquids that cant be seen or accessible like under an LCD screen/Digitizer (works on phones).

Attempted a test flight today, but my app nor the remote was able to successfully connect. The drone battery turns on, and the lights flash red, but there's no motion in the gimbal. At this point, I'm thinking the best option is to get a replacement. Any advice? Salvageable parts? Cheap replacement parts? Thanks again guys..

Attempted a test flight today, but my app nor the remote was able to successfully connect. The drone battery turns on, and the lights flash red, but there's no motion in the gimbal. At this point, I'm thinking the best option is to get a replacement. Any advice? Salvageable parts? Cheap replacement parts? Thanks again guys..

Best option is to contact DJI, they will want your flight logs etc. Once they determine the crash was your fault they will offer you a discount on a replacement. They usually start off by offering 30% off a replacement but you can talk them up to a maximum of 50%. I personally have not experienced this, but there have been many on the forums reporting their experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic