Drone spotted in LAX airspace at 4000 feet

nwillitts said:
that's pretty **** high.
i wonder what model drone it was.

Yeah, me too. I was wondering if it was fixed wing and thinking about the that one in Florida that looked like an F4 Phantom, but the article said it was hovering so probably a multirotor or helo.

4,000ft is a one way ticket unless you can descend really fast. So a fool and his drone are soon separated. More interesting is the report of the drone near Los Angeles city hall. I'm glad they said it was perfectly legal as I will need to shoot it for a documentary very soon.

Suffice to say LAPD continue to be super cool about drones. I was filming on Spring Street downtown and a cop pulled up and asked if I could stand closer to the curb. I was a little close to the bike lane. He then asked what make and model it was and then left.

ianwood said:
Suffice to say LAPD continue to be super cool about drones. I was filming on Spring Street downtown and a cop pulled up and asked if I could stand closer to the curb. I was a little close to the bike lane. He then asked what make and model it was and then left.

Can you please export a few of these nice LAPD officers out to Ohio?

Sadly, all we have here in the Buckeye State are former skinheads who only became cops because they flunked out of community college.

Bad attitude + poor education + gun + badge = Ohio police.

:twisted:

Interesting story but the report is almost completely lacking in detail making it impossible to work out what really happened. A bit of googling only finds other cut and paste reports with identical detail (or lack of it). All that we have to go on are drone, 4000 feet,10 miles from LAX, Canadian jet on Aug 4 and the vague word hovering. There's nothing about the size, shape, colour or details of its behaviour that might allow an understanding of what was really seen.

This story reminds me of a report from Perth, Australia when on 19 March 2014 and airliner on descent to Perth encountered a "drone" at 3800 feet. Again very little detail but initial news reports were decorated with the mandatory photo of a DJI Phantom. At least the crew's description of "cylindrical in shape and grey in colour" and having a bright strobe light gave some clue that it was not someone's quad or a DJI flyaway. The location above a military base and in military airspace was another clue.

Once it was that there were so many UFO reports that people seeing something unexplained in the air believed they were seeing a UFO. There is enough hysterical reporting relating to drones that unsophisticated people having this in mind, frame their interpretation for unexplained sightings as drones. These might not have been "drones" at all. Perhaps it was a weather balloon, the planet Venus or who knows what else?

Meta4 said:
Interesting story but the report is almost completely lacking in detail making it impossible to work out what really happened. A bit of googling only finds other cut and paste reports with identical detail (or lack of it). All that we have to go on are drone, 4000 feet,10 miles from LAX, Canadian jet on Aug 4 and the vague word hovering. There's nothing about the size, shape, colour or details of its behaviour that might allow an understanding of what was really seen.

I get what you're saying, and agree with you... but in the end, it doesn't really matter. And that's the problem... now everything that flies by remote control is going to be lumped into the UAV/Drone category for the regulations, no matter the size, shape, colour or details of it's behaviour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic