Drone Registration

If you mean the FAA registration, it's only $5. Register here.

Thanks. I must have ended up at some reseller BS. So, do you guys actually do it? Is there any benefit to doing it? Any penalty for not doing it?

I did it. If you want to follow US law, you should do it too.

Here's what the FAA says about those who feel they don't need to register:
Failure to register an unmanned aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

See more details in their FAQ.

The fine you will receive for not registering them is more of incentive for me to register. Why flirt with having something happen, someone get hurt, you be responsible and never having registered it. It's $5.

Do you guys actually register them? Ridiculous that its costs $25.

Also while it's aim at drones... you are registering yourself and not any one drone. If you are registered then you can fly any drone with your registration number on it and while carrying your ID and registration print out.

I think most people here register. Honestly, for $5 it gives you an air of legitimacy. If you tell most people that you are "registered with the FAA" they think you have some special permit or training.

I wouldn't be surprised is it was $25 when renewal time comes around.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: cfd701
I would.

FAA registration has been $5 for years.

Now State registration is another thing...

So if you register, and your drone flies away and crashes into a public event and hurts someone then there is a nice neat registration number for the FAA to find you and then the lawyers to come after you anyways....or you can fly it unregistered and if something goes wrong it is very hard to trace it back to you.

Seems like reverse incentives to me.

Seems like reverse incentives to me.
Why would anyone want to hide from the law if they do something dangerous and injure an innocent bystander? Perhaps those people should not be flying.

Reactions: Fat Daddy and 10X
Aren't you an idealist.

Consider the following. I am a responsible pilot. I could be flying my drone in the middle of a field miles away from the nearest person, airport, and below 400 feet. For whatever random reason, be it a solar flair, EMP, or god knows what the phantom decides to take off any never return through no fault of my own as has been evidenced by previous random flyaways. It flies 5 miles right into someones house or building and does major damage. Guess what? There is a sticker on it that points right back to you. And guess what, the lawyers are shortly behind the FAA. And also guess what DJI will not back up the operator. They are a million dollar company with lawyers on their side. Their sole purpose is to make a profit. They arent going to spend a dime of their money to protect the operator. They are going to do just the opposite and deflect the blame away from themselves. They are going to say we have million of units that work fine it must have been user error that caused the flyaway. You can be the most law abiding citizen in the world but in this case the operator is going to be the one on the other end of the lawsuit, not DJI. The court is going to rule against the operator every time. It is your word that "you were flying responsibly and it wasn't your fault" verse a million dollar company with lawyers, engineers, and tech guys who are going to say it is not their fault.

Keep living in your dream world.

Reactions: Str8down
there you go being an idealist again.

In this case being responsible is a reverse incentive, you are now opening yourself up to more liability. I dealt with the FAA daily in my previous career. They are a bunch of bureaucratic idiots just like the rest of our malfunctioning government. They are not on your side. This registration program isn't designed to help the operator out. Its only paperwork bandaid, a blame game for the inevitable day when someone does something REALLY stupid with their drone. If however there was some sort of insurance policy that was offered with the registration it would be a positive incentive.

If you are too naive to realize that then you are not worth the argument anymore.

Aren't you an idealist.

Consider the following. I am a responsible pilot. I could be flying my drone in the middle of a field miles away from the nearest person, airport, and below 400 feet. For whatever random reason, be it a solar flair, EMP, or god knows what the phantom decides to take off any never return through no fault of my own as has been evidenced by previous random flyaways. It flies 5 miles right into someones house or building and does major damage. Guess what? There is a sticker on it that points right back to you. And guess what, the lawyers are shortly behind the FAA. And also guess what DJI will not back up the operator. They are a million dollar company with lawyers on their side. Their sole purpose is to make a profit. They arent going to spend a dime of their money to protect the operator. They are going to do just the opposite and deflect the blame away from themselves. They are going to say we have million of units that work fine it must have been user error that caused the flyaway. You can be the most law abiding citizen in the world but in this case the operator is going to be the one on the other end of the lawsuit, not DJI. The court is going to rule against the operator every time. It is your word that "you were flying responsibly and it wasn't your fault" verse a million dollar company with lawyers, engineers, and tech guys who are going to say it is not their fault.

Keep living in your dream world.

You make it sound like DJI is going to sue you.

If you slide your car on ice & damage someone's property do you take off? Sounds like you do since it wasn't your fault.

If however there was some sort of insurance policy that was offered with the registration it would be a positive incentive.
If you fear greatly that you are going to harm anther human being with your drone, then I urge you to contact your insurance company immediately. You can most certainly buy insurance to cover those types of extreme situations.

You make it sound like DJI is going to sue you.

If you slide your car on ice & damage someone's property do you take off? Sounds like you do since it wasn't your fault.
did you not read my post. DJI is not going to sue the operator. They are going to deflect blame from themselves to the operator should their product malfunction

Wow. I don't think it's just a military thing but I believe in personal responsibility. The other day when I thought my Phantom was a flyaway I didn't worry about the liability. I was just worried it might crash into someone or damage someone's property. The Phantom 3 has my phone number on it as well as the FAA number.

I have nothing to fear because I'm a responsible remote pilot and the Phantom records the flight path. So even if I were in the woods (not a National Park :) ) seeing whether or not I can hear a tree fall while flying my Phantom and the apocalypse happens and my Phantom flies off and injuries a football stadium of people (apparently the impact caused the bleachers to collapse in a domino effect, reducing the entire structure to large mess) then the data up to the apocalypse will be recorded and should reduce my liability. Since I'm not likely to survive the apocalypse then I not really going to lose any sleep over it.

Every unmarked Phantom (in the US) that is out there flying potentially gives the hobby a bad name and is in clear violation of the law.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj