Drone Registration non-FAA site! Beware

tcg

Reaction score
I was helping a friend register their drone. They had done a google search for "drone registration" and the first return was NOT to FAA.GOV. Looked a lot like the faa site but in the fine print at the bottom they admitted they were just a go-between. They would have charged my friend 24.99 to "register" his drone! And, if you spent 49.99 they would register AND send you FAA compliant labels! Thankfully I stopped him before he sent his credit card information to them.

Maybe calling this site a rip-off is a little strong but I see absolutely no value added. Especially since the FAA site is pretty darn easy to use.

Be careful when you register - don't use "federaldroneregistration dot com" unless you need the additional services they provide.

PS I didn't charge my buddy anything for the help, maybe I should have! LOL

Reactions: joet
Reactions: doktorinjh
Reminds me of the sites that offer to renew your ham license, for a fee. You can do it for free on the FCC site.

My son-in-law almost got sucked in by one of those - he had spent a half hour or so on one of those sites, going round and round, so he came to me. In five minutes, I had him renewed by going to the FCC site.

I was helping a friend register their drone. They had done a google search for "drone registration" and the first return was NOT to FAA.GOV. Looked a lot like the faa site but in the fine print at the bottom they admitted they were just a go-between. They would have charged my friend 24.99 to "register" his drone! And, if you spent 49.99 they would register AND send you FAA compliant labels! Thankfully I stopped him before he sent his credit card information to them.

Maybe calling this site a rip-off is a little strong but I see absolutely no value added. Especially since the FAA site is pretty darn easy to use.

Be careful when you register - don't use "federaldroneregistration dot com" unless you need the additional services they provide.

PS I didn't charge my buddy anything for the help, maybe I should have! LOL
Yeah, we had a guy n here a couple of months ago with a video of he and his wife complaining about the "true cost" of FAA registration. Had an "oops" moment when we pointed out that he had gotten sucked in by these people and took the video down.

I respectfully disagree with you that "maybe calling the site a ripoff being a little strong".

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk

We have been transitioning from a manufacturing to a service based economy for about 2 decades.

These people offer a service.

You are free to choose to engauge those services at the offered price or not.
Just like the afforementioned FCC renewal service there must be thousands of businesses based on this model.

Yea, I got suckered into this site as well. Being a newbee, I wanted to do the right thing and register. Did the Google search and went to the site. Hum, $24.99? Must be the FAA raised their fee. WRONG!! Tell all to use the FAA site!

This keeps coming up. Always look for the .gov label on the site anything else is bogus. Unfortunately, many find the forum and heard about this after they have been suckered in.

This keeps coming up. Always look for the .gov label on the site anything else is bogus. Unfortunately, many find the forum and heard about this after they have been suckered in.
Totally agree make sure you are on a .gov site before you send/pay them anything

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4