"Drone" Register on the cards (UK)

Reaction score
Re: "Drone" Register on the cards (UK)

I think most of it will not happen. Even registration at point of purchase is fruitless. We know there are illegal weapons around and in most cases they are the ones that do the damage. Law abiding citizens might register but the criminals and terrorists will not.

The massive IT infrastructure involved in a public traceable record of all flights! Ha!

I think PFAW holders are already aware of what's needed as far as insurance goes.

As far as 'safe to fly' kite symbol marking is concerned, what about all the genuine well built self builds? Also the off the shelf QC has a lot to be desired.

Yeah, to much red tape and lack of real usefulness.

Police enforcement training might be advantageous. The rules are already there just the lack of manpower to enforced them. While this is the case the law will continue to be flaunted, as with any law.

Re:

IrishSights said:
I think most of it will not happen. Even registration at point of purchase is fruitless. We know there are illegal weapons around and in most cases they are the ones that do the damage. Law abiding citizens might register but the criminals and terrorists will not.

The massive IT infrastructure involved in a public traceable record of all flights! Ha!
I think PFAW holders are already aware of what's needed as far as insurance goes.

As far as 'safe to fly' kite symbol marking is concerned, what about all the genuine well built self builds? Also the off the shelf QC has a lot to be desired.

Yeah, to much red tape and lack of real usefulness.

Police enforcement training might be advantageous. The rules are already there just the lack of manpower to enforced them. While this is the case the law will continue to be flaunted, as with any law.

The ultimate showstopper for me is that it is the old problem where those who dont represent a problem anyway will be at the front of the queue to register. The terrorists, drug dealers, and other law breakers are the ones who wont bother to register at all. A waste of time and money.

Around here, you are in far more danger from someone speeding on a bicycle. They don't have insurance either, perhaps there should be a register of all bicycles? And of course anyone under 18 would not be allowed to buy one.

Have you seen the amount of scaremongering about drones is going on in the UK press? Have a look at the Daily Mail website if you can bear it. Apparently drone-owners are the biggest threat to privacy! Of course reporters from the Daily Mail would never think of infringing privacy in any way....oh wait....

Reactions: Electric Warrior
"We have a huge opportunity to make Europe a world leader in drone technology," said committee chairwoman Baroness O'Cathain.
"But there's also a risk. It would just take one disastrous accident to destroy public confidence and set the whole industry back.
"So, we need to find ways to manage and keep track of drone traffic.
"That is why a key recommendation is that drone flights must be traceable, effectively through an online database, which the general public could access via an app."
It's obvious from this sort of quote that the people coming up this sort of guff have no idea what they are on about and are responding to their overactive imaginations rather than anything relevant or fact-based.

This is where the Small UAV Coalition should be active taking drones to influential but misguided people like these (and journalists) to take them flying and give them some hands-on experience to dispel a lot of their fears so that we can get more realistic laws and reporting. Now there's a good gig for someone .. being a drone ambassador.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1