Drone recommendations for chasing away birds?

Reaction score
We have a small farm and having problems with hundreds of birds eating fruits from all our trees. So are thinking that we can use a drone to chase them away. We want to dress up the drone to possibly resemble an Owl so they'd be scared away and think twice about returning. We need a drone that can fly maybe 15-30 mins and costs less than $100. Video camera is not necessary.

Any recommendations?

Welcome to the forum Fly :)
Not sure where ya at but having dealt with this issue with crows in pecan orchard's and deer in sowbean fields we use canons and 12 gauge scare shells here . I don't think what you are asking for is going to help you very much .
In MS the Wildlife Agency will supply you with a canon free if you contact them but don't know who you are dealing with and don't know if they will help .
This is what I am speaking of and that one is quiet compared to what we use .
( I just found this video and have nothing to do with them . Just showing ya a canon )
I have seen some small orchards using plastic owl's on post but have seen crows perched on top of them :rolleyes:

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Honestly finding a quad that could fly that time without being able to pick up enough weight to resemble a owl for less than $100 would be impossible, if it must be under $100 I'd recommend the MJX 600. If you can wait 30 days to be shipped from China it comes with a FPV setup (the live footage from the camera comes back to be viewed on your phone) and everything else you need to fly. For about $80. Price would be lower if you don't need the real time footage and even cheaper if you don't want a camera at all. The range isn't gonna be all that awesome and the flight time would be about 8 minutes but you get what you pay for

Hello,
I don't think you'll find a drone with a 15-30 min flight time for $100. As the phantoms only have a 20-25 min flight time! Also any drone under $100 is going to be a mini or micro, much too small to chase birds away!
As some birds will actually attack or try to attack your drone if threatened, or protecting their nests! As it has happened to me with a pair of kitty Hawks, apparently I got too close to their nest, with my vision, and they started dive bombing me, forcing me to land, to save my bird, and also I did not want to injure them either, since I was invading them! My bad, but lesson learned!

On the other hand ( positive note )
Banggood.com, has a wltoys, V222 quad copter, for around $70 comes with camera ( I know you don't need it, but I think you would end up using it if you had it ) flies great, about 8-10 inches across, not big, but not small either, also has several attachments you can buy for it, missle launcher, water cannon, bubble blower, hook and basket, ect. 6-8 minute fly time, and can go pretty **** far before signal loss. Might work for your needs? You might need something larger, not sure which birds you are shewing away?

Personally, I would buy a crap load of ( bottle rockets ) and scatter bomb the fields, every hour or so! Eventually, they will stay away!

Lastly
Going to sound strange, but here goes!
We live near a lake, and across the lake, this one house had HUNDREDS of seagulls, on it and in the lake, everyday, crapping all over this guys house, so the old guy went and bought a record or tape, not sure, but it played, sounds of a hawk, killing seagulls ( or birds in general? ) he played it loudly everyday for about 1 1/2 weeks, now no birds! True story. Neighbors were mad at first, but happy now! I'd be glad to ask him what that tape was, and where he got it?

Hope this helps!
Good luck

J Dot

Reactions: DreamsHD
Are you going to hire a full time employee to charge batteries all day and fly over your field all day? This is a terrible idea.

Farms have solutions for this issue and you should probably look at existing and proven solutions. My local farm has loud speakers that have a CD of birds occasionally fighting on it. Not a bird in sight. They stay far away.

Welcome to the party Flymango. Are you raising Mangos, or just having pun with words? LOL:D

Cool idea. Sounds like it needs a bit of refining though. Your price is a bit low for what you want it to do.

Perhaps a faux Falcon would do the trick with a bit less weight.
Maybe you could tow the bird instead of dressing up the drone to look like one.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Some folks may say you're harassing wildlife. :eek: I like eating fruit so I hope not.;)

This is claimed to work, but it's been tested years ago and disappeared. Don't know why... PICTURE: Robotic Hawk UAV disperses birds from airports - 2/25/2008 - Flight Global
Otherwise, if you go for a drone to mockup, I still recommend at least a small camera, very helpful for orientation where far from you. I will look for a 2nd hand phantom or similar, as you have good flight time, you can plan missions and is very easy to fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav