Drone Pilot License?

Reaction score
I know others have made jokes about this but....

Is there some kind of online course we can do just to show that we are aware of the rules and regulations of flying a drone? A license that would actually hold some kind of weight with law enforcement in case they decide to question you?

Nope. How would that help if you're not doing anything illegal?

The "legality" of anything drone related is a can of worms right now. The FAA has only issued "Guidelines" and, as yet, no Rules or Laws, other than reckless endangerment, as it applies to hobbyists flying drones. The police do not enforce FAA guidelines, so unless a local law has been passed, which is likely unconstitutional, there are no laws presently, other than the wreckless endangerment ones that apply to all aircraft.

So awareness of Rules and Regulations, of which there are none currently from the FAA, won't help you.

If confronted by law enforcement, do as they say, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. Don't poke the bear. Never argue with a man with a gun and a badge. It never ends well!:cool:

The "legality" of anything drone related is a can of worms right now. The FAA has only issued "Guidelines" and, as yet, no Rules or Laws, other than reckless endangerment, as it applies to hobbyists flying drones. The police do not enforce FAA guidelines, so unless a local law has been passed, which is likely unconstitutional, there are no laws presently, other than the wreckless endangerment ones that apply to all aircraft.

So awareness of Rules and Regulations, of which there are none currently from the FAA, won't help you.

If confronted by law enforcement, do as they say, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. Don't poke the bear. Never argue with a man with a gun and a badge. It never ends well!:cool:
Understood. I was at the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday and was tempted to fly to get some shots however I had a feeling it wasn't right and after speaking to a park ranger decided against it.

I tried googling and noticed a man was arrested for flying near the bridge.. I'm assuming he went to close to the bridge. I wanted to take pictures of the water and buildings etc which is away from the bridge.

A warning, I can handle... but being arrested for flying my drone? That's kind of stiff. Do they have grounds to arrest you if you arent putting anyone in danger or will it most likely be a warning if I happen to be flying somewhere I ahouldnt? Now most of the time I fly in an open park but I am running out of places now lol.

Ok, so for the uneducated, what goes into getting a pilot's license for drone use? I am a sports photographer, and was looking to get my P2 involved in my photography. If I fly commercially I need to be licensed, but have no clue where to begin.

Thoughts?

Ok, so for the uneducated, what goes into getting a pilot's license for drone use? I am a sports photographer, and was looking to get my P2 involved in my photography. If I fly commercially I need to be licensed, but have no clue where to begin.

Thoughts?

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing more info on this also.

I don't think it would hurt if you hold a AMA current card ( Academy of Model Aeronautics) which is very inexpensive and provides with your membership free insurance. Interested www.modelaircraft.org/supportama with over 175,000 members.

We are a screwed up country now. We live in fear. We're afraid of our own shadow. We have to prohibit 999 people from taking pics, because 1 person is a bad guy. The terrorists have won. What a country.

Reactions: Mark_DeKruyter
I don't think it would hurt if you hold a AMA current card ( Academy of Model Aeronautics) which is very inexpensive and provides with your membership free insurance. Interested www.modelaircraft.org/supportama with over 175,000 members.

Yea, I was planning on joining the AMA, the insurance doesn't hurt... lol...

They can't arrest you, if they can't find you! :D Like a military strike, get in, conduct your mission, and get out, before they even knew you were there! Launch from a safe, but remote, and unseen location. Learn to handlaunch and handcatch, so you can quickly deploy and get out. Not recommending reckless flying, but you can still get your shots from up to 2 miles away with good LOS transmitter control with the P3P.

BTW, anyone know how to disable the way too loud annoying beep noises upon turning the battery on in the aircraft? They attract far more attention than I need or want!:cool:

Understood. I was at the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday and was tempted to fly to get some shots however I had a feeling it wasn't right and after speaking to a park ranger decided against it.

I tried googling and noticed a man was arrested for flying near the bridge.. I'm assuming he went to close to the bridge. I wanted to take pictures of the water and buildings etc which is away from the bridge.

A warning, I can handle... but being arrested for flying my drone? That's kind of stiff. Do they have grounds to arrest you if you arent putting anyone in danger or will it most likely be a warning if I happen to be flying somewhere I ahouldnt? Now most of the time I fly in an open park but I am running out of places now lol.
Flying a drone is like having an open container of alcohol in your car while driving, even if you aren't drinking from it. As long as you are aware that it is there, and don't attract attention to yourself or the open container, you will be fine, but if you are stopped for any reason, that open container will likely get you in trouble. Either put it in your trunk, or proceed with caution. YMMV! :cool:

I wouldn't assume why the guy was arrested. Find out. If it was for photographing the bridge, and you aren't, you can prove you weren't immediately. If it was for flying within proximity to the bridge, find out how close is acceptable. I was at on the beach in front of a hotel and wanted to shoot the hotel. The cabana boy told me I couldn't fly over the hotel property, but could fly outside the perimeter. I didn't argue. I just asked him if where the aircraft was currently in the air was OK with him, after moving it outside the hotel airspace. He said OK, and I got 95% of what I came for. Police helicopters never fly directly over their target. They circle around it from a very wide radius, so I flew along the beach at 250 feet and orbited from outside the property. Next time, I'll set up out of sight! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_DeKruyter
Canada has a certification for UAV pilots and seeing how many countries are working together to form uniform rules, guidelines and laws to be introduced in 2016, it wouldn't surprise me if the U.S. has a certification plan . Transport Canada's guide is TP 15263E .
Canadian Commercial UAV pilots are also required to have a ROC A radio licence

It won't help, either, unless you are flying at an approved airfield.:cool:
This is a common misconception but it is untrue. It covers you wherever you fly (recreationally, not commercially). Does not have to be at a sanctioned event or at an AMA airfield.

You can verify this information on their website: Join AMA Today

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441759127.313970.jpg

Reactions: TheWire and snerd
This is a common misconception but it is untrue. It covers you wherever you fly (recreationally, not commercially). Does not have to be at a sanctioned event or at an AMA airfield.

You can verify this information on their website: Join AMA Today

View attachment 30061
Aren't all those already covered by a standard homeowner's or renter's policy anyway?

You'd of course have to look at your own policy (majority of renters don't choose to buy renters insurance). However, renters insurance typically only covers theft away from home if you pay extra for it...and many policies exclude "aircraft" all together...some do allow model aircraft coverage. Depends on your individual insurance terms. So the answer is maybe. Certainly not in all cases. Also some may have limits to their coverage if they do hold renters/homeowners and this will cover any excess damage beyond that coverage.

The AMA insurance covers you wherever you are. And I doubt most homeowners or renters insurance would touch drones with a ten-foot pole. Unless you paid for a very expensive rider.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik