Drone parts pro fake props

Reaction score
Thought I was buying genuine DJI products but got cheap imitation from drone parts pro. Stay away
1496175269344.jpg

Same here. Purchased of ebay. The ones that I received, went on loose, slopy. I can see if there was any vibration were these would get slung off. From BTG. So I bought replacement from DJI.

I've read so many stories on here about getting fake props online that I'm pretty much only going to buy props from Target or Best Buy.

I only buy genuine products from DJI... remember guys that you may purchase these things cheap but in the long run you will pay a higher price when you lose your bird.

Mr. Salty, try living on a Government pension and you'll hear plenty of stories about props which cost half the price doing exactly the same job. When you hear these "horror" stories about props ask the person you hear it from what actually happened to them. I'm sure you'll find it didn't happen to them, it happened to someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone else. Each time the story's told it gets embellished and after half a dozen tellings, it's blown out of all proportion.

I've yet to meet anyone who's had a prop part company from the craft unless it was due to a crash or a close encounter with something else. Those prop stories have been around for years and fair enough in the earlier days props would fly to pieces and wreck motors and mounts. Mainly due to air bubbles within the prop. Poor quality control and plastics not hot enough or simply a bad mix would leave voids within the prop and as soon as it met any stresses it broke where the void was.

I recall having props impossible to balance because of those bubbles and we threw them away rather than use them. Today they're a much better quality and if there are any problems it's due to the hubs on the self tightening props. I was sent a box full of old and new DJI props and among them were a fair few non-originals. I won't call the fake, because I have no idea if they came off the same assembly line as DJI's. I've run tests on my bench and as yet I haven't found any reason to condemn the non-DJI props. I wasn't happy with the 3 bladed versions, but that was usually down to balancing or less thrust or in some cases too much thrust.

I've given both the Non DJI and the genuine DJI a fair run and to be honest I'll fly whichever comes out of that box as long as they match of course. Take those stories with a bag of salt, the chances of getting a bad Non DJI is about as good as getting a bad DJI prop. And until I see one come adrift with my own eyes, or YouTube gets swamped with videos of wayward props I'll continue flying with whatever I have.

Oh yes, and don't forget the old snob value. There are a number of people who want to keep this DJI is best thing going, they're the ones who want everyone to know they fly the best and only the best. I'm sure you've come across them. They wouldn't lower themselves to use a non DJI part, more interested in what they think other will think if they dared use anything else but DJI. The slap an exorbitant price on and it must be better brigade. :)

I only buy genuine products from DJI... remember guys that you may purchase these things cheap but in the long run you will pay a higher price when you lose your bird.

I would agree with @macoman in that I buy only OEM DJI props, although I can buy genuine OEM DJI props online for a fraction of retail. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with "snob value" or buying "only the best" but, rather, minimizing failure points. When I've got a $600 - $1200 bird several hundred feet up and "X" number of feet downrange, the last thing I need to be concerned about is integrity of the props. Trust me, if your drone crashes due to a failure of aftermarket props, the very LAST thing you'll think about is how much you saved when you bought those aftermarket props. Don't think so? Guess again, it's still your turn. And do you think that you'd have any recourse whatsoever against the seller or aftermarket manufacturer in that situation? You know the answer to that. For me, it's much smarter to pay 35 - 40% less on genuine OEM DJI props (which I just did very easily) and know exactly what I'm getting, than to save a few bucks on "no-name" aftermarket props. It's your bird, fly with whatever equipment you want to, but do you really want to take that risk? Ok, I'm done. As always, just my two cents.

Yes most definitely. I'll take whichever course is the least expensive. Basically I refuse to pay premiums for nothing more than a name. Every bloody thing I buy has to work in with our fortnightly budget. If the car's registration is due, that means I buy nothing for for 3 or 4 pensions. If the house insurance is due that's another 3 pensions. Each and every purchase has to fit in with annual costs. It's hard to live that way when you've been used to having a healthy nest egg and a lump sum in the bank. It's not a rare thing when I hand over whatever I've saved to pay for something we didn't expect. We get by, but it's from pension to pension and any savings of just a few dollars makes all the difference.

I do however stay well clear of the really bad purchases such as the props at the head of this page. I try to stick with those which I've used or a friend has recommended. Once in a while I'll be tempted and later regret it, but over the years I've managed to make those less likely. Anyway, it's not as if I buy props that often. I have a nice stash of balanced props and among them a few DJI, enough to make up sets of the same type. I'm currently looking for a replacement gimbal, hopefully DJI, only because that's what I have and the camera won't fit anything else. But failing that I'll get a $59 gimbal and use my GoPro clone. I've got past the hand-me-down complex. If I can buy used it's a matter of having to. That's where I caught out by other people's greed, but sadly there's no protection against that. I've already reached the stage of Paypal only and the number of sales I have to pass up because of it is unfortunate, but I refuse to have anyone scam me again. Not when I find my wife crying after some Ebay or GumTree user has sold me garbage.

It's entirely down to what we can and can't afford. Of course I could give the thoughts of flying a Phantom away, My dreams consist of me flying a Mavic, but whilst awake I know it's not going to happen. As a boy I used to daydream about owning a Rolls Royce and putting a set of Magnesium wheels on it. (the rebel in me :) ) I know what's supposed to be the best and when it comes to Quadcopters I've been told by many that DJI is the Rolls Royce of the quad world. I still have to discover that for myself, but I will and hopefully before I'm unable. I still have a couple of years to go according to the Doc. But hey! let's no go there. I hope maybe I've explained why some of us CAN'T buy originals or maybe rely on those USED columns on Ebay. Please don't tell us we're only getting other people's problems or we should only buy genuine. Believe me, we're already well aware of that and have had to change our ways of doing the next best. Whilst it's become a way of life, I'd love to be in the other camp, but that's life.Sometimes we have to stick to the bumpy roads whilst the remainder use the highways. Let's face it, some of you may even come down here and join us and that again is life. No good fighting it, have fun flying, that's what it's all about. :-D

Reactions: RunningWithScissors

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20