drone laws canada

fill out an SFOC form from TC and wait upon approval

Reactions: Mark keo
Reactions: Mark keo
Flying a drone or an unmanned air vehicle (UAV) for work or research - Transport Canada

Look at apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate

Outline of info to include in your Application SFOC staff instruction.

See also this form underneath the staff instruction paragraph
Notification form - exemption for UAVs from 2 kg up to and including 25 kg

You can see why companies have sprung up that charge 1400 loonies for an application submittal.
thank you very much

Just remember there are different criteria if you are using for work/research than recreational flying. Dor a search for "Transport Canada uav" on google.

If you would like a little help...A little note on exemptions!!

Don't be misled that the weight and or size of your drone automatically means you can go where you want.
For recreational users its very tight and commercially within the exemptions (Phantoms etc. based on weight) it is illegal to fly a drone within 5 MILES of any town and or built up area in Ontario. That means there actually has to be 10 miles or more between 2 towns to legally fly recreationally or under exemptions without an SFOC from TC (Transport Canada).(The law actually states "built up area". What actually is a built up area? Ontario defines a built up area as a crossroads, hamlet, 10 buildings within a 500 meter distance or 4 buildings within 1 hectare. All the best trying to fly under the exemptions with that!)
So really, even cottage country still won't cut it for most.
Such flyers are also prohibited from flying within 5 miles of any airport and or aerodrome. Ad that to the 5 mile restriction outside of a built up area and you have to even go further!
Under exemptions you can't fly over streets, people or vehicles, buildings AND animals that are not in direct relation to the place you're shooting.
Under exemptions, if flown commercially, liability insurance is still required. Here's a kicker - if you have insurance, have a collision that needs reporting, and it is found out by the insurance company that you weren't flying legally as per TC guidelines either with an SFOC or under exemptions, they won't cover you. Can you say "lawsuit and fines?"
I've heard guys say "I don't need an SFOC because I fly under the exemptions".
Read the actual exemptions. Unless you're pretty much somewhere up in the North West Territories with nothing else around, (including moose lol), you can't really fly under the exemptions in Ontario. This is why most legitimate flyers apply for SFOC's. TC is doing this to make sure that airways and towns are safe. If people apply for SFOC's TC has a better chance of monitoring it.
On top of that, you'd actually have to look into other restricted airspaces.
There's a ton of illegal flying in Ontario...and those flyers are playing Russian Roulette. The laws are clear, they're clearly posted on TC's site...and it's the flyers responsibility to know those laws.
I wouldn't want to be a real estate agent and or any other company using illegal flyers for that day that something goes wrong, or even if someone calls in a complaint. They also could be held liable using an illegal flyer. They should be asking to SEE a flyers SFOC before hiring them for their services.

Still want to fly a drone in Ontario? :)

Last edited:
It is really irritating when people do not properly convey tc rules... Please refer to the Transport Canada Website here: Flying a drone recreationally - Transport Canada

Recreationally you must stay 9km from airports, heliport or aerodrome. You also must not fly within 150 metres of people, animals, building, structures or vehicles.

There is so much misinformation out there and as a company you should really check your facts better.

Reactions: Erised
It is really irritating when people do not properly convey tc rules... Please refer to the Transport Canada Website here: Flying a drone recreationally - Transport Canada

Recreationally you must stay 9km from airports, heliport or aerodrome. You also must not fly within 150 metres of people, animals, building, structures or vehicles.

There is so much misinformation out there and as a company you should really check your facts better.

I agree. ...which is why you and other flyers should be careful and look at the proper link that lays out the law article by article. Not a brief tutorial link that skims over the basics.

Recreationally it's so tight it's virtually impossible to fly within any city or town limit. You can't fly:
Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport or aerodrome.
Higher than 90 metres above the ground.
Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles. (That means your drone has to remain 500 feet away in any given direction...try being compliant with that inside of any town or city limit?!?!)
In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.
Near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
Within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.
Anywhere you may interfere with first responders.

However, my reference previously was mainly to those trying to fly commercially (for payment) under the exemptions.

TC detailed Link:

Exemption from Paragraph 571.08(1)(b) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations - Transport Canada

This is an excerpt from that TC link regarding exemptions of just some of what I had said. I hope it helps:

Flight Conditions
  1. The pilot operating under this exemption shall maintain continuous unaided visual contact with the UAV sufficient to be able to maintain operational control of the UAV, know its location and be able to scan the airspace in which it is operating to decisively see and avoid other air traffic or objects.
  2. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not use a first person view device.
  3. The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV from a single control station and control relays or visual observers to extend the operational area are prohibited.
  4. The pilot shall operate no more than one UAV at any one time.
  5. The pilot operating a UAV shall give way to manned aircraft at all times.
  6. The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall only operate a UAV during daylight hours.
  7. The pilot operating under this exemption shall operate a UAV at or below 300 feet above ground level (AGL).
  8. The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall only operate a UAV in Class G airspace.
  9. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV over a forest fire area, or over any area that is located within five nautical miles of a forest fire area.
  10. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV in airspace that has been restricted by the Minister under Section 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act.
  11. The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles away from the centre of any aerodrome.
  12. The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles from a built up area.
  13. The pilot operating under this exemption shall operate a UAV at a lateral distance of at least 100 feet from any building, structure, vehicle, vessel or animal not associated with the operation and at least 100 feet from any person.
  14. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV over an open-air assembly of persons.
  15. The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall only operate a UAV under visual meteorological conditions, clear of cloud with not less than two (2) statute miles ground visibility.
  16. The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall be able to take immediate active control of a UAV at all times.
  17. The pilot conducting operations under this exemption shall establish and follow normal, lost link and emergency procedures, including those established by the manufacturer.
  18. Any person conducting operations under this exemption shall confirm that no unacceptable radio frequency interference to the UAV system is present prior to flight, nor is likely to be present during flight.
  19. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not operate a UAV system unless it is operated in accordance with the operating limitation specified by the manufacturer.
  20. The pilot operating under this exemption shall not conduct a take-off/launch of a UAV if explosive, corrosive, bio-hazard or bright light emitting (laser) payloads are carried onboard.
  21. Any person conducting operations under this exemption shall ensure that the appropriate air traffic service unit(s) is advised immediately anytime the flight of a UAV inadvertently enters into controlled airspace.

I'd like to add one more small point if I may. There is also the Criminal Code that comes into play if accidents or injuries are involved etc. There are also town and or city bi-laws that if flying is prohibited within city limits, that bi-law trumps Transport Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: droneshop
Pardon me but you are quoting for commercial or research not recreational.

I quote from your original msg "For recreational users and commercially within thw exemptions it is illegal to fly within 5 Miles of any town or builtup area in Ontario". That means there actually has to be 10 miles or more between two town to legally fly Recreationally.".

This is absolutely incorrect as it is 150 metres not 5 miles for recreational flying from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.

Provide proper information and quit the fear mongering.

Obviously you have not read my last post for further clarification that provides direct quotes of TC guidelines for both recreational flyers and commercial flyers wanting to fly under exemptions?
Don't shoot the messenger! lol ;-)
But I'd be upset too if I found all that out for the first time after spending a fortune on a drone and realizing that I pretty much have to go to
Timbuktu to fly it!!
There's no fear mongering...anyone can read it.

If you would like a little help...A little note on exemptions!!

Don't be misled that the weight and or size of your drone automatically means you can go where you want.
For recreational users its very tight and commercially within the exemptions (Phantoms etc. based on weight) it is illegal to fly a drone within 5 MILES of any town and or built up area in Ontario. That means there actually has to be 10 miles or more between 2 towns to legally fly recreationally or under exemptions without an SFOC from TC (Transport Canada).(The law actually states "built up area". What actually is a built up area? Ontario defines a built up area as a crossroads, hamlet, 10 buildings within a 500 meter distance or 4 buildings within 1 hectare. All the best trying to fly under the exemptions with that!)
So really, even cottage country still won't cut it for most.
Such flyers are also prohibited from flying within 5 miles of any airport and or aerodrome. Ad that to the 5 mile restriction outside of a built up area and you have to even go further!
Under exemptions you can't fly over streets, people or vehicles, buildings AND animals that are not in direct relation to the place you're shooting.
Under exemptions, if flown commercially, liability insurance is still required. Here's a kicker - if you have insurance, have a collision that needs reporting, and it is found out by the insurance company that you weren't flying legally as per TC guidelines either with an SFOC or under exemptions, they won't cover you. Can you say "lawsuit and fines?"
I've heard guys say "I don't need an SFOC because I fly under the exemptions".
Read the actual exemptions. Unless you're pretty much somewhere up in the North West Territories with nothing else around, (including moose lol), you can't really fly under the exemptions in Ontario. This is why most legitimate flyers apply for SFOC's. TC is doing this to make sure that airways and towns are safe. If people apply for SFOC's TC has a better chance of monitoring it.
On top of that, you'd actually have to look into other restricted airspaces.
There's a ton of illegal flying in Ontario...and those flyers are playing Russian Roulette. The laws are clear, they're clearly posted on TC's site...and it's the flyers responsibility to know those laws.
I wouldn't want to be a real estate agent and or any other company using illegal flyers for that day that something goes wrong, or even if someone calls in a complaint. They also could be held liable using an illegal flyer. They should be asking to SEE a flyers SFOC before hiring them for their services.

Still want to fly a drone in Ontario? :)
Thank you for taking the time to write that. Too many people think it's under 2kg and you are ok. Which is NOT the case in 95% of instances. If anyone takes the time to talk to TC they will realize any commercial or seemingly commercial flights need an sfoc permit. Plus insurance. Plus procedures in talking to your local flight region to submit you flight plans. Plus in some cases file NOTAMS. There is alot more to flying legally than many think and I applaud those who are taking the legal path.

If you in to fact checking. Check your local city bylaws as well. If you are flying recreationally it's a model aircraft. Not a uav in TC terminology. Example for Calgary: is there is no RC flying in the city parks. And no where else but a large Park would you be 150m from stuff. So add all that together is there is no flying in the city of Calgary. Or the NW corner because of springbok airport. Or the SE corner because of the airport and hospital helipad down there. You have to basically go the 9km outside of the city. Away from highways. Not sure about other cities but they likely have similar bylaws.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj