DRONE JUSTICE TONIGHT! YOU'LL LOVE THIS WEIRD ONE!

Reaction score
The condo where I live has a lot of paranoid people about "spying drones". Typical I bet, but bizarre. A dusk this evening I went flying, and was going to keep it down over the beach, far away from the building. I was flying it from my balcony. I was going to hand catch it, or land it below me in the grass, which because of the wind I wasn't enthralled with. Bottom line: It was real windy, probably too windy to fly. But these things fly SO WELL.

OK I was near this building over the beach, and I got a "Motor Seizure" RED WARNING (I would think catastrophe, and there wasn't one). Followed by a "Motor at Idle" RED WARNING. And the wind was really picking up. I figure I need to get it down quickly, take the warnings seriously, and if they are false alarms great. I also figured I was going to land in the grass, and if anyone got upset so be it. ANYBODY SEE THESE? IT SPINS RIGHT UP NOW IN MY LIVING ROOM. NO PROBLEMS!??

The wind hitting the building created a lot of turbulence. Not my finest idea. Live and learn right? The wind had it bouncing around, and I was paranoid about the motors, so I just set it down quickly. Successfully. Video up. Seemed undamaged. I go down there, forgot my key, had to climb a couple fences to GET to the stupid grass, and it's GONE!

I glanced at my phone and saw a lady in the lobby with it, and that thing transmitted out of the elevator, through re-bared concrete and I saw it take an elevator ride, and I saw it being taken into a Condo. NOTE THIS IS AFTER THE BIG EVENT. The GPS told me where in the building it was. South side. 3rd floor, my first try, found it. These people were pompous *****, and were convinced that I was hovering outside their balcony to look at the wife. I told them about my problem, the red faced husband said BS, and they told me that it had landed "ON OUR BALCONY, ON OUR PROPERTY. We're going to keep it and let the board decide what to do tomorrow. FAIR ENOUGH! Or we'll call the police right now." They knew I knew they were lying, but knew (WRONG) they couldn't get caught. She at least let me tell them out to turn it off, and they did, and slammed the door in my face. I HADN'T REVIEWED OR EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THE VIDEO YET. OMG WHAT A SURPRISE!

I NEVER SHUT THE VIDEO CAMERA OFF! I got stunning 4K video of the setting sun, the rough beautifully colored water, and my whole landing fiasco. And, to my SURPRISE AND DELIGHT, I got the FELONY GRAND THEFT from the grass, the trip up the elevator, and the door closing to their condo. SO I CALLED THE POLICE! Told him what happened, showed him the videos, we hit it off good. The couple had gone out to dinner, wouldn't answer the phone, and had called the "BOARD President", and said how it flew onto their balcony. The deputy tried their phones a bunch of times, and said he wasn't going anywhere until he confronted them and I got my drone back, and he'd take them to jail for Grand Theft. I said that might be a little much, I'd be mad if I REALLY thought it was looking at me. He said then he'd just wait until they came back, and give them a talking too, and "they better not screw that conversation up!" Yikes, smoke was coming out his ears.

They called back, and stuck to their balcony story for a while! BAD move. The deputy said, "Listen, I don't think you understand the trouble that you're in. I have videotape here proving that you are lying to me now. You are looking at Felony Grand Theft, and now Lying to a Police Officer. You're potentially in a lot of trouble." (IN PERSON, WITH THEIR ATTITUDE, THEY'D BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW.) That shut them up, and they promised to give it to the president that night, and she's my next door neighbor, and we're friends. I said I wasn't going to press charges The deputy told me about 3 times to call and confirm I got it back. He was just looking for an excuse. DON'T BE A POMPOUS RICH PERSON WHO LIVES IN THEIR 1/2 MILLION DOLLAR CONDO 3 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR, AND BLATANTLY LIE TO A COP, WHO DEALS WITH DRUNKS ALL DAY, making peanuts compared to you. HE'S GOING TO GET REALLY MAD. REALLY REALLY MAD. I got it back by the bemused president.

I texted a "sorry to have bothered you" semi make nice text, and got a nasty reply. So maturely, I said that if I didn't receive a apology within 10 minutes, "I "just might" change my mind about pressing charges, and if you think your dinner was ruined, a night in jail on felony charges will ruin an entire vacation." Then I gave them Roy Black's Contact Info, the highest profile criminal lawyer in the state (Rush L, William Kennedy Smith, lots of others), and said he's probably really expensive, but he'll almost surely get you off with probation. I don't think I got the apology. I'm not a very good *****. It takes a LOT.

HOORAY FOR DJI LIGHTBRIDGE! MAGIC!! Transmits to my phone through a metal elevator, through multiple floors of a concrete slab, re-bar re-enforced structure, and allowed me to compliment the lady on her toenail polish! Sends me accurate GPS coordinates spot on their condo. If I had thought to look at the altitude, I might have guessed 3rd floor. There are 2-8 floors here. I was still getting video, but the camera gimbal was pointing down. Half the owners are never here. I just rent, but am leaving in a month. And I'm friends with my landlord and gave her husband a wounded Blade 350QX he loves. A "warning from the board" about her tenant will just amuse her. The deputy could also see I couldn't see in their bedroom. Actually, I could, not very well. A HAPPY ENDING DRONE STORY!!

Wow... what a story. Good ending.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
If the average person who was paranoid about drones actually looked at some videos (most videos), they would clearly see that the drone would literally have to be right on top of you to really see much. Most people think these are as sophisticated as the drones the military uses, close up zoom and such. Sorry people...no missiles here...move on.

Great ending to the story though.

Guys- We HAVE to do repair PR on our Drones. The media Hype has gotten Joe Average to want to shoot down anything they see in the sky near them. Usually, It's Little Timmy's Air Hogs helicopter from WalMart. The Phantom is what they see on all the TV reports about drones... the white one is what they have seen. When you fly in parks... let the kids come over... talk to the adults...show them how cool they are.

I got yelled at in the park last night by some grouchy old bastard..he actually started charging me while screaming. Whatever.

So, good PR whenever possible.... until this crazy "Drone Slayer" story and associated BS dies down.

Guys- We HAVE to do repair PR on our Drones. The media Hype has gotten Joe Average to want to shoot down anything they see in the sky near them. Usually, It's Little Timmy's Air Hogs helicopter from WalMart. The Phantom is what they see on all the TV reports about drones... the white one is what they have seen. When you fly in parks... let the kids come over... talk to the adults...show them how cool they are.

I got yelled at in the park last night by some grouchy old bastard..he actually started charging me while screaming. Whatever.

So, good PR whenever possible.... until this crazy "Drone Slayer" story and associated BS dies down.
No, they just just don't get it. Or probably do, but just don't care. I'm gonna fly where I want and to hell with everyone else.

"I also figured I was going to land in the grass, and if anyone got upset so be it."

Keep flying in the hood. Keep starting incidents. Get more people mad at us. Cause more problems. This sure is a different generation than I grew up in.

Reactions: Ti22
I was not there so I can't say for sure what I would have done. Also, it appears that you need to live near this person. However, they stole your property which is bad enough but then they lied to the police and the only thing that saved you was video. Theft and lying to police... what else will they do. Seems like they think they can just do these things without recourse. They should not have stolen your drone in the first place but then they should have given it back. If anyone needed a felony charge I'd say it's that person.

I wonder if things would have taken a totally different direction if the words "Reward If Found, call 000-555-1212" had been displayed on the bird.
mw_hmmm.gif

Reactions: Clipper707
Monetize the video and put it on YouTube. You'll be rich.
Seriously, that's a great idea! Also, nothing better than a public shaming of lying, Phantom-stealing a**holes! :D Just make sure to blur any faces if they appear.

What a
The condo where I live has a lot of paranoid people about "spying drones". Typical I bet, but bizarre. A dusk this evening I went flying, and was going to keep it down over the beach, far away from the building. I was flying it from my balcony. I was going to hand catch it, or land it below me in the grass, which because of the wind I wasn't enthralled with. Bottom line: It was real windy, probably too windy to fly. But these things fly SO WELL.

OK I was near this building over the beach, and I got a "Motor Seizure" RED WARNING (I would think catastrophe, and there wasn't one). Followed by a "Motor at Idle" RED WARNING. And the wind was really picking up. I figure I need to get it down quickly, take the warnings seriously, and if they are false alarms great. I also figured I was going to land in the grass, and if anyone got upset so be it. ANYBODY SEE THESE? IT SPINS RIGHT UP NOW IN MY LIVING ROOM. NO PROBLEMS!??

The wind hitting the building created a lot of turbulence. Not my finest idea. Live and learn right? The wind had it bouncing around, and I was paranoid about the motors, so I just set it down quickly. Successfully. Video up. Seemed undamaged. I go down there, forgot my key, had to climb a couple fences to GET to the stupid grass, and it's GONE!

I glanced at my phone and saw a lady in the lobby with it, and that thing transmitted out of the elevator, through re-bared concrete and I saw it take an elevator ride, and I saw it being taken into a Condo. NOTE THIS IS AFTER THE BIG EVENT. The GPS told me where in the building it was. South side. 3rd floor, my first try, found it. These people were pompous *****, and were convinced that I was hovering outside their balcony to look at the wife. I told them about my problem, the red faced husband said BS, and they told me that it had landed "ON OUR BALCONY, ON OUR PROPERTY. We're going to keep it and let the board decide what to do tomorrow. FAIR ENOUGH! Or we'll call the police right now." They knew I knew they were lying, but knew (WRONG) they couldn't get caught. She at least let me tell them out to turn it off, and they did, and slammed the door in my face. I HADN'T REVIEWED OR EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THE VIDEO YET. OMG WHAT A SURPRISE!

I NEVER SHUT THE VIDEO CAMERA OFF! I got stunning 4K video of the setting sun, the rough beautifully colored water, and my whole landing fiasco. And, to my SURPRISE AND DELIGHT, I got the FELONY GRAND THEFT from the grass, the trip up the elevator, and the door closing to their condo. SO I CALLED THE POLICE! Told him what happened, showed him the videos, we hit it off good. The couple had gone out to dinner, wouldn't answer the phone, and had called the "BOARD President", and said how it flew onto their balcony. The deputy tried their phones a bunch of times, and said he wasn't going anywhere until he confronted them and I got my drone back, and he'd take them to jail for Grand Theft. I said that might be a little much, I'd be mad if I REALLY thought it was looking at me. He said then he'd just wait until they came back, and give them a talking too, and "they better not screw that conversation up!" Yikes, smoke was coming out his ears.

They called back, and stuck to their balcony story for a while! BAD move. The deputy said, "Listen, I don't think you understand the trouble that you're in. I have videotape here proving that you are lying to me now. You are looking at Felony Grand Theft, and now Lying to a Police Officer. You're potentially in a lot of trouble." (IN PERSON, WITH THEIR ATTITUDE, THEY'D BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW.) That shut them up, and they promised to give it to the president that night, and she's my next door neighbor, and we're friends. I said I wasn't going to press charges The deputy told me about 3 times to call and confirm I got it back. He was just looking for an excuse. DON'T BE A POMPOUS RICH PERSON WHO LIVES IN THEIR 1/2 MILLION DOLLAR CONDO 3 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR, AND BLATANTLY LIE TO A COP, WHO DEALS WITH DRUNKS ALL DAY, making peanuts compared to you. HE'S GOING TO GET REALLY MAD. REALLY REALLY MAD. I got it back by the bemused president.

I texted a "sorry to have bothered you" semi make nice text, and got a nasty reply. So maturely, I said that if I didn't receive a apology within 10 minutes, "I "just might" change my mind about pressing charges, and if you think your dinner was ruined, a night in jail on felony charges will ruin an entire vacation." Then I gave them Roy Black's Contact Info, the highest profile criminal lawyer in the state (Rush L, William Kennedy Smith, lots of others), and said he's probably really expensive, but he'll almost surely get you off with probation. I don't think I got the apology. I'm not a very good *****. It takes a LOT.

HOORAY FOR DJI LIGHTBRIDGE! MAGIC!! Transmits to my phone through a metal elevator, through multiple floors of a concrete slab, re-bar re-enforced structure, and allowed me to compliment the lady on her toenail polish! Sends me accurate GPS coordinates spot on their condo. If I had thought to look at the altitude, I might have guessed 3rd floor. There are 2-8 floors here. I was still getting video, but the camera gimbal was pointing down. Half the owners are never here. I just rent, but am leaving in a month. And I'm friends with my landlord and gave her husband a wounded Blade 350QX he loves. A "warning from the board" about her tenant will just amuse her. The deputy could also see I couldn't see in their bedroom. Actually, I could, not very well. A HAPPY ENDING DRONE STORY!!

What a story!! I'm glad you got your drone back after all that drama. Yeah, there is so much hype in the media about drones that it's created such a negative bias. That's why I hate flying anywhere near people. You always have those folks that come to you and ask, "Is that a drone?!", in that snarky sorta attitude and you have to be like, "Well... yes and no, it's quadcopter but yes you can call it a "drone". lol Ugh... Anyway, great story! Oh by the way... the motor idle warning. Where was that coming from? What was it? Was it an actual warning that the engine would soon shut off?

Last edited:

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT.

I'll eat crow if I have to, and this time I have to. The malfunction I'm afraid was real. But it was caused by gross negligence. The props were not CLOSE to snugged down.

This caused me to be struggling with it, 20' away from their balcony, with the wind blowing the sound in. They couldn't know with a wide angle lens, not pointed at them, I WASN'T peering in, or thinking about them. Perception is EVERYTHING. PR is horrible for these things. Most people have never SEEN one, but have all kinds of preconceptions. I really screwed up, and in their shoes I might have been mad enough (I wouldn't have, but doing so wasn't terribly immoral, given their perception) to grab the thing from the bushes/grass. They were going to eventually return it.

None of this would have happened if I'd used a checklist to prevent gross negligence, so I can't really criticize anyone else. If a malfunction just does a little PR damage, that's another straw on the camels back. If the malfunction was caused by absurd negligence, it's YOUR fault.

The deputy should have shot me, and put me out of my misery. Not verifying the prop tightness is REALLY bad.

What a

What a story!! I'm glad you got your drone back after all that drama. Yeah, there is so much hype in the media about drones that it's created such a negative bias. That's why I hate flying anywhere near people. You always have those folks that come to you and ask, "Is that a drone?!", in that snarky sorta attitude and you have to be like, "Well... yes and no, it's quadcopter but yes you can call it a "drone". lol Ugh... Anyway, great story! Oh by the way... the motor idle warning. Where was that coming from? What was it? Was it an actual warning that the engine would soon shut off?

I ate crow below, but the props had recently been put on, I hadn't flown in a week, and didn't verify they were snug. Gross negligence. The self tightening props worked good, but it was still obvious. Idling in my living room, I suddently got a big grossly out of balance vibration going. A touch on the skid damped it out. Tightened the props hand snug, never happened again. I think something like that caused some sort of momentary motor bind, and then it went to idle. Telemetry had my flight at 28,000,000', the video was amazingly penetrating, but things weren't right.

I was lucky to get it down. My intent was to be nowhere near anything. Everyone fears these are out to peak in their windows. If it wasn't TOTALLY MY FAULT, I wouldn't feel so bad. Nobody was in danger, it never came near anyone (outside), but I caused a couple to hate drones even more. Imagine the PR hit if the deputy had arrested them for lying to him! OMG HORRIBLE. If his contact to them hadn't been via telephone, their wealthy privileged arrogant attitude (and lying to him), probably would have ended bad. AND REALLY BEEN MY FAULT. Tighten the props, use a checklist. I was such an idiot.

If the average person who was paranoid about drones actually looked at some videos (most videos), they would clearly see that the drone would literally have to be right on top of you to really see much. Most people think these are as sophisticated as the drones the military uses, close up zoom and such. Sorry people...no missiles here...move on.

Great ending to the story though.

Read me flogging myself below. Not REALLY so great. When you think about it.

I was not there so I can't say for sure what I would have done. Also, it appears that you need to live near this person. However, they stole your property which is bad enough but then they lied to the police and the only thing that saved you was video. Theft and lying to police... what else will they do. Seems like they think they can just do these things without recourse. They should not have stolen your drone in the first place but then they should have given it back. If anyone needed a felony charge I'd say it's that person.

Read my follow up post. A really dumb no checklist type screw up, DID course me to be lucky to get it back, but it was SO preventable. A felony charge would have turned this PR blip, way worse.

And preconceptions are so bad, and it's irrational, but they are. My fiasco caused me to be scewing with it 20', maybe 30', with the wind making it seem even closer to them. They were probably sure it was looking at them. Wide angle lens, bad exposure, not really directly pointed at them. Irrelevant. They were sure they had been spied on by one of these infamous things, and confiscating it was justice done. They were going to eventually give it back, indirectly.

But, I did one thing RIGHT. I didn't allow this thing to get returned by the "Condo Board", which just would have made it worse. The president is my next door neighbor, not elderly, we're very friendly, and I'll make sure she knows everything, and gets to see some of the positive PR. The only thing is she smart and pretty sensible, with some common sense. I'll be convincing someone totally unconcerned. But at least maybe she can spread the word.

Seriously, that's a great idea! Also, nothing better than a public shaming of lying, Phantom-stealing a**holes! :D Just make sure to blur any faces if they appear.

I've done enough PR damage. The video from my Samsung is incriminating enough, but from the CD card, LOL. People like caught on video (unless it's them) more then they hate the drones they've never even seen. A modestly paid sheriff's deputy watching the video, and a rich arrogant couple steadfastly saying it flew into their balcony, is gonna have smoke coming out his ears.

But we agreed that perception is everything, and I calmed him down, so no further damage was done. This was before I knew that my gross stupidity caused this. BUT THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Everyone can be stupid. Stupid can cause adverse events that hurt our image. Even if to ***** we still can't afford to hurt it. My lesson: USE A CHECKLIST. Even if you memorize it, use it anyway. I do in light planes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj