Drone intermittently switches between Atti mode and GPS mode?

Reaction score
I've had my Phantom 3 Standard for a few days now and everything is going well. There is one thing that happens a fair bit though..... the drone will come out of GPS mode and switch to Atti mode on its own...moments later it automatically switches back. It will do it off and on several times in a flight. It seems to happen at any height and even in areas that are wide open.

So far it's not a huge issue as I have been mostly watching the drone itself when flying, and when it goes into Atti mode, I'm ready for it but I am curious if this is normal.

Cheers, Kevin

When it does it check sat. Numbers like 5-6 or 8-12 it could just be your in a area with low amounts

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thanks JBE420, I'll check those numbers next flight. So with a low number it's possible that it will fade in and out of GPS?

Does the number of satellites typically change throughout the day, or is the number fairly consistent depending on where you live?

Last edited:
You should read your manual cover to cover before you fly again.

The number sats will change but not dramatically. I like to look at uavforecast.com before I fly.

Reactions: Surrealplaces
once i had a hard lock of gps sats when first time i tried to took off from a balcony. it was about 5 and 6 sats number showed on the screen. and i can clearly remember that gps vs atti mode automaticaly switched between 5 and 6 sats.

if you are sure you were at wide open area, and you have tried on another place and still find the same result, you probably need to check the gps antena and cable inside the quad. . . . it might be loose or something.

I don't feel the lack of lightbridge is causing his problems.
I have a standard and mine doesn't change to atti unless I hit the switch.

Lightbridge and GPS are worlds apart.............if it doesn't see enough GPS sats it will go ATTI. The difference is that ADV/PRO also use the other sat system as well..(GONAASS ) or whatever it's called..............

Hey there...I had the p3s and the whole atti mode thing is why I decided to spend the extra 200$ and get the advanced. The reason it's doing that is it doesn't have the "light bridge" sensors that the advanced and professional has. Direct connection on the adv. and prof. as opposed to the choppy wifi signal on the standard. I had a fly away with the standard due to atti mode, be careful and don't push it too hard. And unfortunately it's quite common of an issue ..
bollocks!!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20