Drone hobby, is it for me ?

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

After weeks of reading i finally created an account here, because i have a question i can't figure out;

For 5 months i'm looking to buy a drone, i was planning to buy the P4, but when i heard the rumors about the P4P i decided to wait a little longer. After i have seen the upgrades to the camera ( especially stills) i want to get the P4P.

BUT: i'm a student (the Netherlands) and i can afford the P4P (1699 euro) but is a big expense. I'm worried that i don't fly it after a while. That is also what i read on the few dutch forums, this because the regulations.

Regulations are: max 120m height, no max distance but you should always have the drone in a line of sight. And there are a lot of no fly zones in our little country.

What i'm i planning to do with the P4P, flying for fun. I love to edit video, and would like to take more aerial photos too. For me as an IT Engineer it is also a plus to be more outside :p.

So my actual question is how do you decide if it is worth the 2k investment for you ? I already tried a cheap drone that my brother owns but i didn't like that, but i'm also interested mainly in drones because the ability to record video and take fotos.

Thanks,

Wouter

PS: English isn't my native language. So i'm sorry if it isn't perfect.

Reactions: Reed L
120 meters is 393 feet, that's plenty high enough in my opinion, You can't notice the difference between that and 400 feet. To me I own a drone because I like flying and I like taking videos, If you want to get into flying and video then definitely get one. I got hooked right away when I flew my first drone years ago, its an awesome and scary experience some times, but looking at the video at end of the flight makes it all worth it to me.

You might not become this famous youtuber that makes drone videos but I never expected that I make them just to see the world from a different angle.

I don't know if your brothers cheaper drone had GPS but that's what makes these drones nice is that you can just let it hover there.

Well I think only you can decide if its worth the investment. I am fairly new to drones although I own and use a Syma X5C but its pretty boring now. Pretty much just sits in the corner now. So I just bought a Phantom 3 Pro from DJI on eBay for $599. It is the cheapest I have found (refurbished). Full warrantied by DJI too. I don't take a lot of video or pics but it is something I am interested in maybe getting in to.

Worst case scenerio is you bought one and decide its not for you, as long as you don't wreck it I imagine they are pretty easy to sell, albeit at a bit of a loss. But its not likely you'll take too big of a hit and especially if you can afford one to start with a minor hit shouldn't be too hard to take ;)

Thank you for your quick response ! The reason to buy a drone for me is also taking photo's and video's. Becoming a famous YouTubers isn't a goal or my expectation. My brother had a Husband 4x, no GPS or altitude holding etc. so totally different than a P4(P).

Of course i can always sell, but i try to prevent that from happening...

First off don't worry. Second, if this seems fun for you then go for it and enjoy. It is amazing. I don't know anyone who said, "this isn't for me." You can utilise the drone for some school work too depending on what classes of course.

You might even want to look at the cheaper Phantoms. If you want to just take videos for your own enjoyment there isn't anything wrong with the P3 line they are very good drones still. Any Phantom from the 3 line would be a good chance. But if you want a P4P go for it.

The reason i want the P4P is the picture quality. At the moment i already have a entry level DSLR that i use. And photo's from the P3P or P4 aren't nothing like my DSLR ( not an expensive model) but more like my iPhone SE. So when i read the P4P is a huge improvement especially on picture quality i decided if im going to do it, im going to do it good. And that means buying the P4P.

And also every year in Januari a Dutch shop ( like best buy) has a no tax week. That means you get like 18% off almost every product they offer. So a P4P will be 1420 in stead of 1699.

The reason i want the P4P is the picture quality. At the moment i already have a entry level DSLR that i use. And photo's from the P3P or P4 aren't nothing like my DSLR ( not an expensive model) but more like my iPhone SE. So when i read the P4P is a huge improvement especially on picture quality i decided if im going to do it, im going to do it good. And that means buying the P4P.
I don't even know if the P4P will be DSLR quality, I've shot with DSLR's for years and I'm not sure if a drone will come close to the quality.

I don't even know if the P4P will be DSLR quality, I've shot with DSLR's for years and I'm not sure if a drone will come close to the quality.

I don't expect it to be the same quality, but it is much better if i may believe the specs. And i hope there will be good reviews before Januari

I don't expect it to be the same quality, but it is much better if i may believe the specs. And i hope there will be good reviews before Januari
Well the only way you're going to get Arial photographs is to buy one. So might as well take the plunge. I can't see anyone not enjoying these, Being able to see what the drone see's with FPV through your phone is awesome I know that's not what you're concerned about but its just an extra bonus.

I have been a keen photographer for over the best part of 30 years, started shooting film and as technology improved now shoot with 1series canon and Leica. There is no comparison, image quality wise, in what I get from drones but the shots I can get from the air make that outright quality an almost insignificant issue.

If you want to save money but older models and work your way up as time progresses.

To start with a phantom 3 you won't be dissapointed. If you enjoy the art of imaging this is not a hobby that you will get bored with.

And please don't worry about your English. It is very good- I understand exactly what you are saying.

Happy flying.

I have been a keen photographer for over the best part of 30 years, started shooting film and as technology improved now shoot with 1series canon and Leica. There is no comparison, image quality wise, in what I get from drones but the shots I can get from the air make that outright quality an almost insignificant issue.

If you want to save money but older models and work your way up as time progresses.

To start with a phantom 3 you won't be dissapointed. If you enjoy the art of imaging this is not a hobby that you will get bored with.

And please don't worry about your English. It is very good- I understand exactly what you are saying.

Happy flying.
Kinda of true, Sure the quality won't be the same as a DSLR but are you getting a DSLR up there to get that photo? Not without A huge amount of cash. So the quality doesn't matter because the image won't ever happen with a DSLR.

Kinda of true, Sure the quality won't be the same as a DSLR but are you getting a DSLR up there to get that photo? Not without A huge amount of cash. So the quality doesn't matter because the image won't ever happen with a DSLR.
"Kinda of true"? I may not have been clear to you in my post although on reading what I have said it seems we are in agreement. My point was, and in fact is, that the superior quality of an SLR imaging system is of minor significance when you consider the images that you can acquire in the air. If you are serious about quality the new inspire with M43 sensor and access to great lenses will give you results indistinguishable by most from full frame SLR's in most conditions and the pricing now puts it within the budget if most serious hobbyists.

"Kinda of true"? I may not have been clear to you in my post although on reading what I have said it seems we are in agreement. My point was, and in fact is, that the superior quality of an SLR imaging system is of minor significance when you consider the images that you can acquire in the air. If you are serious about quality the new inspire with M43 sensor and access to great lenses will give you results indistinguishable by most from full frame SLR's in most conditions and the pricing now puts it within the budget if most serious hobbyists.
Sorry I should of said true.:rolleyes:

Wouter,
I am a photography hobbyist with a Canon 5D MkIII so I tend to take photography pretty seriously.
For me photography still and video is about getting the shot.
To do that means expanding your abilities. It's a never ending quest.
Whatever you get will teach you more and you'll then know more of what you want. Try your hand at flying you might really enjoy it !

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I sold my DSLR to get a Phantom, I'm pretty good at taking photos but got bored of it so I got me a Phantom, not regretting selling my DSLR as im kinda burnt out on it but in the future i'll probably end up getting another one. But I tell ya flying and taking video and photos in the air is pretty addicting.

No, i'm 50% of the time in Rotterdam and the other 50% in a small village in the province zeeland.

But Amsterdam doesn't seem like a good spot, because there is a large no fly zone because the airport 'shiphol' that is near the city. So you are not allowed to fly there.

( URL of the no fly zones in the Netherlands -> Drone PreFlight by Aeret )

You may want to look into buying a used Phantom 3 Standard or even a Phantom 2 Vision +. These can be had for a few hundred US dollars and should give you a very good idea if you will use the drone.

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie