Drone for land inspection

Reaction score
I am looking to buy 30 acres and was wondering if I need to get permission from the real estate (they own the property) to do my own land inspection of the area before making a bid? I just want to make sure the land and trees aren't being used for a junk yard or clear cut trees.
This property is visible from the roadway but nobody has been allowed on the acreage to see it. The bidding starts next week I just want to see what cant be seen from the road. Thanks.

Check out this DJI website, type in your address and see the flight restrictions...

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

The FAA controls all of the airspace, not your neighbors or realtors below.

You can 3D map it using Hivemapper.com for free, just need Litchi app for $25.

You can take pictures in a "lawn mower" pattern using GSP app from DJI for free and stitch them together using Maps Made Easy . Com If you have less than 68 20 megapixel pics it is free.

Reactions: pdqdl
I am looking to buy 30 acres and was wondering if I need to get permission from the real estate (they own the property) to do my own land inspection of the area before making a bid? I just want to make sure the land and trees aren't being used for a junk yard or clear cut trees.
This property is visible from the roadway but nobody has been allowed on the acreage to see it. The bidding starts next week I just want to see what cant be seen from the road. Thanks.
It depends on four things legally:
  • What is the airspace like over the property? If not controlled then you are allowed to fly over it per the FAA. The FAA has legal jurisdiction over all airspace in the USA so no local government or property owner can say otherwise.
  • Do you have a suitable location to launch and land from? This must be either private property whose owner has given you permission, or public property without any local ordinances against drone takeoff and landing.
  • Can you fly the entire mission while maintaining VLOS at all times? If so, you are legal. If not then, you would be violating FAA regulations.
  • Can you fly the entire mission without at any time being directly overhead of people or moving vehicles? If so, then you are legal.

Reactions: TontoFAC
If I am correct, the GSP app from DJI is only for apple ios, not for android. Is there an equivalent dji free app?

If you simply download Google Earth Pro and type in the address of the property .....you can get a pretty good look at all those 30 acres from above without leaving home.

Reactions: pdqdl
(NOTE: State-level laws and regulations can only dictate where you may take off and land from, NOT what airspace in which you may fly.)

From the FAA:

UAS flying in a yard or over private or business property is considered to be in navigable airspace. Navigable airspace is from the ground up. Anyone flying a UAS in compliance with FAA rules is permitted to fly in all such navigable airspace. The FAA regulates the airspace not local ordinates [It] is a federal offense to interfere with the operation of an aircraft, so private property owners and business owners are prohibited from interfering with or preventing the operations of a UAS in navigable airspace even if that space is private property.

§ 40103. Sovereignty and use of airspace: >>Page 748<<

govinfo

And then again, there is always the trespassing option. If a property owner was unwilling to allow inspection, you can bet that there are undisclosed problems. Aerial photography will never equal the resolution you can get by walking under all those trees. And no amount of photography will reveal buried problems or other ecological contamination that might be far more expensive to correct than the property is worth.

Google earth isn't very high resolution, and the images can be rather old. That, however, might be a HUGE advantage anyway, as the Google Earth Pro includes a history of the aerial photography. By comparing changes in the property, you might discover all kinds of changes. A picture of a big open trench filled with trash taken 5 years ago might tell you a lot about the property. 20 years ago, there might have been a farm sewage lagoon present, or an auto salvage yard. I have looked at properties from more than 30 years back, on the occasion that the aerial photograph history goes back that far. In general, the older pictures always have very low resolution.

I'd be more inclined to look for public records on the property. County & city records on a property often include a history of building permits and code violations. I suspect that there are also state & national records concerning ecological violations, but I have no experience with finding that.

My first step would be to check with county or local property tax records, discover the ownership of the property, and then look into the owner to see what financial problems can be discovered. Some sales and most auctions are forced by financial necessity. Discovering the nature of that necessity might very well tell you what you need to know.

I bought a property many years back from the "land bank" of our county. Naturally, it had no warning precautions on the listing nor published drawbacks. A little bit of digging for information and talking to folks familiar with the location revealed that it had about 200 tons of sandblaster sand that was widely believed to be contaminated with lead-based paint. The California bank that held the note never paid the taxes to keep it out of the land bank property sale, so the concerns were real enough to keep them from retaining ownership of the property. It was zoned for industrial use and had an 8000sq ft building with an overhead trolley crane in it, so something had to be wrong to just let it all go.

There was never any provable history of lead contamination, so I bought the deeply discounted property and dealt with the sand pile on my own.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj