Drone flys over UK nudist beach. Sunbathers feel overexposed

That is so stupid. Let's see. I want to go to a beach...take off all my clothing and be totally nude where all the other beach goers can see me....but the thought of a camera in the sky taking pictures violates my privacy. I remember years ago I went on a call to service a hvac unit. The young girl was in the back yard wearing a very tiny bikin . ..no fence or anything blocking her view from the public. Her back yard was next to a busy street for all to see. As I drove up, I honked. She knew who I was and why I was there. I went to the front door....she answered...tightly wrapping a large towel around her to hide her bare skin. I thought, how dumb is this.

Oh. I forgot the best part. As the gal opened the front door...there was another gal....totally naked...ran through the front room as the gal opened the door. She panicked. I acted like I had not seen her. I did my work...got paid..all the while the naked gal was hiding in the kitchen. As I left, I thanked her and said Your friend is not as fast as she thought she was. I then heard an arg type of thing from the kitchen. The gal at the door thought it was funny. I have been running service since 1971. Man, I could write books on the crazy stuff I've encountered.

I can see their point. If you are at a designated nudist area there is a strict rule of no photography allowed. The story said the area is off limits to drones anyways. A nudist location is almost always shrouded by shrubs or fences and even though you are outside, there is an expectation of privacy. I myself am a nudist, I hang out at nudist resorts and beaches. I am also an official photographer for the resort I belong to. I am the only person allowed to take public photos there and for good reason. I do fly my Phantom there, but I am never directly over people and I am never at an altitude that you could pick someone out. There are good reasons to remain anonymous including fear of job loss among others. I know many nudist school teachers, nurses & doctors and other professional people who would not like to be outed. People like to judge others so you can see how this could be a problem for some.
@Monte55 - I alway laugh to myself when I see the propane truck or other service vehicles coming in through the gate. I bet the other guys in the shop give them the business for having to go there. LOL :D

On the odd occasion I have walked through a nudist beach all I have seen is overweight wrinkliy people with leather instead of skin. I can't imagine wanting those images on my camera.
I wasn't going to say that but yes, nudist are ordinary people with ordinary bodies. Sure there are the 'super model' type, both male & female, but most are just like you and me.

Reactions: dirkclod
You have an expectation of privacy in your own backyard if you have a privacy fence up. Many people who are members of nudist colonies greatly enjoy that those colonies/resorts have a high expectation of privacy and they typically research and limit their members.

I can easily agree with the nudist folks not wanting a video of them enjoying what they pay for. And that is privacy. The fact that UAV's are restricted from the property notwithstanding.

You have an expectation of privacy in your own backyard if you have a privacy fence up. Many people who are members of nudist colonies greatly enjoy that those colonies/resorts have a high expectation of privacy and they typically research and limit their members.

I can easily agree with the nudist folks not wanting a video of them enjoying what they pay for. And that is privacy. The fact that UAV's are restricted from the property notwithstanding.

I agree with what you are saying, except wouldn't your expectation of privacy be lower at a public beach? Sure, they are protected by vegetation on one side and water on the other, but the end(s) are protected by a sign saying "Naturists Area 900m" Still, the pilot was in the wrong for doing this.

Oh. I forgot the best part. As the gal opened the front door...there was another gal....totally naked...ran through the front room as the gal opened the door. She panicked. I acted like I had not seen her. I did my work...got paid..all the while the naked gal was hiding in the kitchen. As I left, I thanked her and said Your friend is not as fast as she thought she was. I then heard an arg type of thing from the kitchen. The gal at the door thought it was funny. I have been running service since 1971. Man, I could write books on the crazy stuff I've encountered.
LOL :D Dear Fourm I thought this only happens ........:p

"Irony"
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.

Yes lets go nude and lets be offended :)

Years ago I rode my motorcycle to Austin with a church group. On the way home I saw a sign that said Hippie Hollow. Curious, I drove up to the gate with a guard and said I'd like to look around. He said you won't see much...I said that's OK, just wanted to have a look. Rode through the parking lot, saw nothing and left. It wasn't until later I found out it was a nudist colony! :eek:

Geo

I agree with what you are saying, except wouldn't your expectation of privacy be lower at a public beach? Sure, they are protected by vegetation on one side and water on the other, but the end(s) are protected by a sign saying "Naturists Area 900m" Still, the pilot was in the wrong for doing this.

Sure it's a public beach. However, the "public" is very limited in this instance. So while the person isn't going to have any expectation of privacy from fellow members, they SHOULD have the expectation of privacy from non-members.

Just like being a member of a Veterans only shooting club reassures me I'm not going to have to answer questions from non-military people about the scars on my body. I feel fine explaining them to Veterans who've been to war. Those who have served. But not to civilians who are asking questions they have no business asking.

If you pay for a certain privilege, you should be able to enjoy what your money is being spent on IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcknows0
"Irony"
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.

Yes lets go nude and lets be offended :)

If your wife and daughters were in your backyard sunbathing, and you paid to have a privacy fence surrounding that yard, wouldn't you expect to not be harassed by someone overflying your property with a camera enabled Quad?

Paying to be a member of a nudist beach is the same concept. Someone owns that property and there is an expectation of privacy. What is confusing people about this rather simple concept leaves me confused.

Ha Ha! I would take what the Daily mail say with a grain of salt ...Have you seen this sunny british beach? Nobody there... It's just too cold to lie on a beach over here, so sunbathing naked would deserve the medal of courage! Probably quite difficult to find some naturists to peep at with a drone !
Temp on Dorset beach today, middle of the summer: 17C / 62F!:D:D:D

Years ago I rode my motorcycle to Austin with a church group. On the way home I saw a sign that said Hippie Hollow. Curious, I drove up to the gate with a guard and said I'd like to look around. He said you won't see much...I said that's OK, just wanted to have a look. Rode through the parking lot, saw nothing and left. It wasn't until later I found out it was a nudist colony! :eek:

Geo
I've had that same thing happen twice, no signs and it all felt very disconcerting at the time but I did smile.

"If your wife and daughters were in your backyard sunbathing, and you paid to have a privacy fence surrounding that yard, wouldn't you expect to not be harassed by someone overflying your property with a camera enabled Quad?"

I agree and we here now or shortly will have laws against such things, please don't be confused with my "irony" post and reality outside of that. I wasn't saying any right or wrongs going on, but we have to see the slight irony of it all.

Ha Ha! I would take what the Daily mail say with a grain of salt ...Have you seen this sunny british beach? Nobody there... It's just too cold to lie on a beach over here, so sunbathing naked would deserve the medal of courage! Probably quite difficult to find some naturists to peep at with a drone !
Temp on Dorset beach today, middle of the summer: 17C / 62F!:D:D:D
I think I found a picture on another site of the incident. It looks like they are waving to the drone

Attachments

• 184298488-snowman-couple-winter-vacation.jpg
    184298488-snowman-couple-winter-vacation.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 846
Reactions: snowghost
I think I found a picture on another site of the incident. It looks like they are waving to the drone
Of course! I'm pretty sure they don't care at all, you know the media, always a twisted look on things...

"If your wife and daughters were in your backyard sunbathing, and you paid to have a privacy fence surrounding that yard, wouldn't you expect to not be harassed by someone overflying your property with a camera enabled Quad?"

I agree and we here now or shortly will have laws against such things, please don't be confused with my "irony" post and reality outside of that. I wasn't saying any right or wrongs going on, but we have to see the slight irony of it all.

The Internet and forums being so limited in so many ways as to a persons communicative intent, it was with great caution I posted my reply.

I am always looking for ways to post my outright beliefs without being an ***. So thank you for not taking that post as a confrontational one. It wasn't intended that way as you so obviously deduced.

Yet others need the lesson. Keep your privacy as close to your vest as you would ask others to do as well.

Sometimes, I'm amazed at the hypocrisy on the Internet. And I await that person who would display such.

;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1