Drone flight over 3/14/18 Nationwide student protests of Gun Law inaction

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am an FAA Part 107 Certified sUAS pilot. I have been asked to capture video on my Mavic Pro of the Berkeley High School March 3 2018 Nationwide School Protest of US Congressional Inaction on Gun Control.

Such a series of sUAS flights over a crowd of people is clearly forbidden by FAA Part 107. (content removed by Moderator)

Am I correct that the FAA Part 107 law explicitly forbids drone flight over people not directly participating with the team actively performing the sUAS maneuver? And to apply for a waiver would take time and is far from assured. How does the news media contend with their own drone flights undertaken to capture video footage of events that require flights over crowds of bystanders?

Many thanks

WA1PGB

Reactions: keyguitar99
But, one is tempted to find rationals, to put these laws aside, in order to confront a national emergency,

If you mean rationalizing breaking the law for a 'greater good' that you believe in, better hope you don't crash into a crowd or get caught. Prosecutors don't care much for rationale from a law-breaker.

Am I correct that the FAA Part 107 law explicitly forbids drone flight over people not directly participating with the team actively performing the sUAS maneuver?

You have a 107 ticket and have to ask that question?

Yes, you are correct.

And to apply for a waiver would take time and is far from assured.

Yes

BTW, except for the first sentence, you could (and should) have left out that entire second paragraph.

Take the political discourse elsewhere.

Last edited:
I've edited the first post to remove the political rant. This is a sUAS forum not a political Soap Box. PM sent!

You can't pick and chose when to follow FAA Regulations/Law. They aren't there for your "convenience". If you're going to be an FAA credentialed RPIC then you need to step up to the plate and act like it and be an ambassador and not condone (let alone trying to justify) skirting of the rules.

You are only allowed to fly "Over" your flight crew and those are only the people directly responsible for safe flight of the aircraft (pilot, VO, Safety Officer etc).

IMHO flying over such an event is a horrible idea and likely (very likely) to shine a very negative light on you, our industry, and if you screw up will most likely cost you your coveted Part 107. Is your "cause" really worth all that?

Keep in mind that such "events" are often over-seen by local Emergency Services Dept and Law Enforcement. There is likely to be a heavy LEO presence which could mean LE Air Assets as well as Media Air Assets.

How does the news media contend with their own drone flights undertaken to capture video footage of events that require flights over crowds of bystanders?
They don't fly OVER the crowds.... pretty simple. And if they do, they risk losing their Part 107 and more.

Is it just me or did everyone miss the question?

"How does the news media contend with their own drone flights undertaken to capture video footage of events that require flights over crowds of bystanders?"

Did you even read post #4? ^^^^^^^^^^

There was more than one question but as far as I can tell all were answered. Now do the answers "satisfy" that's a whole other can of worms but they have been answered and not missed.

Reactions: RW8888
Did you even read post #4? ^^^^^^^^^^

There was more than one question but as far as I can tell all were answered. Now do the answers "satisfy" that's a whole other can of worms but they have been answered and not missed.
I was hoping to to hear some others weigh in. I have deleted that post. Moving forward, I plan to avoid certain discussions and participants. These threads often get ugly and I'm weary of the elitist tone of some individuals.

Hello All,

I am an FAA Part 107 Certified sUAS pilot. I have been asked to capture video on my Mavic Pro of the Berkeley High School March 3 2018 Nationwide School Protest of US Congressional Inaction on Gun Control.

Such a series of sUAS flights over a crowd of people is clearly forbidden by FAA Part 107. (content removed by Moderator)

Am I correct that the FAA Part 107 law explicitly forbids drone flight over people not directly participating with the team actively performing the sUAS maneuver? And to apply for a waiver would take time and is far from assured. How does the news media contend with their own drone flights undertaken to capture video footage of events that require flights over crowds of bystanders?

Many thanks

That's correct . no flight if you have no waiver or everybody is not directly participating . the news media most likely has waivers in place that may run for days or years . to bad so sad

Reactions: BigAl07
That's correct . no flight if you have no waiver or everybody is not directly participating . the news media most likely has waivers in place that may run for days or years . to bad so sad

Keep in mind that there have only been (14) granted (as of last week) and only 3 of those were for a news agency. Ironically all 3 for the same agency, CNN. Keep in mind they are for very specific flights by very specific aircraft so the odds of any of us getting
  • Flying directly over a person or people (§ 107.39)
are slim to none.

You don't have to fly over a crowd to show a crowd.

You don't have to fly over a crowd to show a crowd.

Bingo and you get better pictures/video by NOT flying directly over them.

I was hoping to to hear some others weigh in. I have deleted that post. Moving forward, I plan to avoid certain discussions and participants. These threads often get ugly and I'm weary of the elitist tone of some individuals.

I agree with you 100% and it seems to be the same few almost everytime. They ruin alot of threads that could be education.

Reactions: LarBear360
I wonder if King George would have let you fly your uav? This is soooo sad. Berkeley...what else needs to be said. Molon Labe!

Thank you for taking out the POLITICS, BigAI07. I agree that these post should be kept to subject matter at hand. Go tweet or something if you have an agenda!

My flights to show the crowd at a local kite festival were never over people and the photos and videos were good. Not as close as I would like to have been (after all, there were kites in the air), but nary a person was threatened or harmed. If the drone dropped, it would have been in the ocean. I do hope someday a zoom lens is an option.

Hello All,

Many thanks

WA1PGB

TV media (local/national news) tend to use helicopters which they stand off as far as 3 miles and take video with stabilized gimbal mounted cameras. Not sure how many, if any, are using drones. Print media, maybe.
You can't pick and chose when to follow FAA Regulations/Law. They aren't there for your "convenience". If you're going to be an FAA credentialed RPIC then you need to step up to the plate and act like it and be an ambassador and not condone (let alone trying to justify) skirting of the rules.

You are only allowed to fly "Over" your flight crew and those are only the people directly responsible for safe flight of the aircraft (pilot, VO, Safety Officer etc).

IMHO flying over such an event is a horrible idea and likely (very likely) to shine a very negative light on you, our industry, and if you screw up will most likely cost you your coveted Part 107. Is your "cause" really worth all that?

Keep in mind that such "events" are often over-seen by local Emergency Services Dept and Law Enforcement. There is likely to be a heavy LEO presence which could mean LE Air Assets as well as Media Air Assets.

They don't fly OVER the crowds.... pretty simple. And if they do, they risk losing their Part 107 and more.

Very good response & to the point

Well stated & to the point !

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
My flights to show the crowd at a local kite festival were never over people and the photos and videos were good. Not as close as I would like to have been (after all, there were kites in the air), but nary a person was threatened or harmed. If the drone dropped, it would have been in the ocean. I do hope someday a zoom lens is an option.
There is now!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik