Drone Decorating/Spray Paint

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has decorated or spray painted their drone. I know Casey Neistat did it but he did it unknowingly spray painting the sensors and everything. Haha. I think it would be Pretty cool to at least spray paint the propellers and the landing gear. Has anyone thought of this or have done it or does it seem pretty ridiculous?

From what I understand the drone has to be disassembled to do a decent job. Thats a 4 hour process to disassemble and reassemble if you take your time.

You can do it but some choose to hydro dip their drones or just go super simple and get a decal set.
Like the ones found here DJI Phantom 3 Skins | DecalGirl

Much easier to remove as well. There is no sticky goo left behind.

With paint it can scratch and nick easily with just moderate bumps of the quads shell or landing gears. Looks great on the first flight . After the 100th now so much.

BTW, Casey is not much for patience with very intricate details and has a "bull in a china shop" approach to his painting skills (or lack there of) .

for the props people have dyed them came out great

Reactions: scootrkitz
My wife bought a set of "Sharpie Brush Permanent Markers" and drew this on. She thought about putting a clear coat over it but it dried strong.

Reed's P3P.jpg

From what I understand the drone has to be disassembled to do a decent job. Thats a 4 hour process to disassemble and reassemble if you take your time.

You can do it but some choose to hydro dip their drones or just go super simple and get a decal set.
Like the ones found here DJI Phantom 3 Skins | DecalGirl

Much easier to remove as well. There is no sticky goo left behind.

With paint it can scratch and nick easily with just moderate bumps of the quads shell or landing gears. Looks great on the first flight . After the 100th now so much.

BTW, Casey is not much for patience with very intricate details and has a "bull in a china shop" approach to his painting skills (or lack there of) .

I did t know you could get skins for the phantoms. I'll definitely check that out!! I don't think I would want to disassemble the entire thing. I wouldn't want to break something in the process of that. I didn't think about how bad it would look after a while. I would just re paint it knowing myself. Haha. I haven't watched many of Casey's painting videos but after watching him paint his, I take your word for it!

for the props people have dyed them came out great

Dyed them in what? Is there any sources to see some of these? I would love to see what they look like!

My wife bought a set of "Sharpie Brush Permanent Markers" and drew this on. She thought about putting a clear coat over it but it dried strong.

View attachment 50510

THAT'S AWESOME! I personally don't have the starting skills to do that and the fear of messing up!

search threads on here you will see it also we have done skins on here alot

Dyed them in what? Is there any sources to see some of these? I would love to see what they look like!
Fabric dye.
Boil some water, pour water into an 8"x12" aluminium foil cake pan(don't use your wife's good metal one).
Ensure it's deep enough for the props to be completely submerged, add powdered dye, stir.
Place the props in and the plastic will absorb the colour.
Use rubber gloves when removing the props from the dye, rinse the props with water and voila, coloured props!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460597553.984613.jpg

The longer the props spend in the dye, the darker/deeper the colour will be.

Fabric dye.
Boil some water, pour water into an 8"x12" aluminium foil cake pan(don't use your wife's good metal one).
Ensure it's deep enough for the props to be completely submerged, add powdered dye, stir.
Use rubber gloves when removing the props from the dye, rinse the props with water and voila, coloured props!View attachment 50522

You're amazing!! I definitely want to try this on the future once I get more comfortable with the P3!!

search threads on here you will see it also we have done skins on here alot

A lot of those are really badass!!

I did t know you could get skins for the phantoms. I'll definitely check that out!! I don't think I would want to disassemble the entire thing. I wouldn't want to break something in the process of that. I didn't think about how bad it would look after a while. I would just re paint it knowing myself. Haha. I haven't watched many of Casey's painting videos but after watching him paint his, I take your word for it!

THAT'S AWESOME! I personally don't have the starting skills to do that and the fear of messing up!
RIT DYE. at any grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

+1 for Decalgirl. Super selection, and can do custom designs.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi there -

I'm going to replace my shell (and motors) in the next week - would dyeing work for the shell as well?

Cheers!

Mike

Fabric dye.
Use rubber gloves when removing the props from the dye, rinse the props with water and voila, coloured props!View attachment 50522

Hi there -

I'm going to replace my shell (and motors) in the next week - would dyeing work for the shell as well?

Cheers!

Mike
Welcome to the forum Mike . Rit dye like I have used on props won't work on the shell or skids .
Read this post and you will see what TJ used . RIT Dye

20160817_213131.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik