Drone crashing for $100

Reaction score
My previously favorite magazine (Popular Science) arrived today. In it is an article entitled: "Are there electronic defenses against drones?" The article says: "Yes."

Then it goes on to say that you need a $100 GPS jammer and states that it is available on the net. They even suggest reasons for crashing, or overtaking a drone. It is suggested that some will wish to crash the drone, while others may want to keep it as a "trophy."

They go on to mention reasons such as: privacy or just not liking drone deliveries flying over your house. They mention that the jamming radius is two miles, but could be larger if "you have a nice vantage point." The article does mention that it is illegal, but to me, it is supportive of such illegal activities.

This all started with a very negative article about personal drones. Subscribers wrote in, too complain and a second article was published. It wasn't supportive, but was a list of pros and cons.

I've been a subscriber since age 8, but I will be canceling my subscription, immediately. We all have a lot invested in our drones and I find this highly offensive. Yes, we could fly without GPS, but the point is we shouldn't have to. A FPV drone is a major investment and the vast majority of us will be flying over personal property, not to spy, but to get to our destination.

Your thoughts?

Maybe it's $100 for a GPS jammer but it's about $50,000 or more for the fines from the FCC. And if it can be proven that using the device compromised 911 or other essential services, they can expect a raft of criminal and civil proceedings.

Playboy has an anti-drone-jammer jammer, which bursts the drone jammer's home into flames and curses them with a scorching case of herpes.

ianwood said:
Maybe it's $100 for a GPS jammer but it's about $50,000 or more for the fines from the FCC. And if it can be proven that using the device compromised 911 or other essential services, they can expect a raft of criminal and civil proceedings.
Anyone with basic RF engineering knowledge can make a GPS jammer with a range of a couple of hundred feet. Heck, with a little adjustment a microwave oven can be made into a powerful GPS jammer with a range measured in miles.
But jammers are illegal to buy or possesses, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
But when I hear of people who can't fly without GPS, I am reminded of a few major airline crashes where the pilots simply forgot how to fly the airplane.

So, Popular Science advocates using an illegal device to disable a legal one... perfect logic.

Theron1Mcclune said:
power jammer can be got at best price , and if there don't permit the cellphone signal and has strict requirements, then this one can meet the demand perfectly. you can come to gain more detailed information about it.
As this is your first post here we usually extend a welcome. However in this case based on your post I cant welcome you here. We fly drones and do not want one of your gadgets. Besides it looks like you are promoting something that is illegal and damaging to what we do. Selling is also fobidden in this particular forum. Reported.

Theron1Mcclune said:
power jammer can be got at best price , and if there don't permit the cellphone signal and has strict requirements, then this one can meet the demand perfectly. you can come to gain more detailed information about it.

+1 to Isish, I too reported.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik