Drone Base is a rights grab

Reaction score
the app drone base is a work for hire rights grab. after you shoot the images they process and post them and if their client pays them you get a percentage but after that they own the images and copyright.
they can market to third parties and you have no rights, this is work for hire. once you create an image the copyright belongs to you unless you agree to the work for hire agreement by using their app.
this is not a fair proposition.

Reactions: lmmavrick
Why is it not fair? It's your choice on whether or not to work with them. If they were the only option for selling images or video, then you could make that argument. You can always use other stock footage sites.

Ill check them out. Sounds fun. My question is what are you doing with the pics anyways if you own the copyrights, are you getting paid some other way off them? Unless youre a huge stockpiler of images for sale i dont see how this would be a bad thing to do.

Ill check them out. Sounds fun. My question is what are you doing with the pics anyways if you own the copyrights, are you getting paid some other way off them? Unless youre a huge stockpiler of images for sale i dont see how this would be a bad thing to do.
If you own the copyright, then you can use the images in any way. Including selling them on other online sites.

Photographer's choice ( business decision) I would say, I just shot for 4 days for the same client, she owns the copyright to all the work. She paid for my standard rate for SLR photography, which includes my time and equipment. I came away with no creative assets, just more knowledge and cash. I price my work depending on the who will end up with the rights and how marketable the images are. If I am taking product pictures or photos for some corp. annual report, they are not of much value to anyone but the guy making the product so the copyright really would not be of any valve to me. However, that picture of a bald eagle diving after a fish or big foot, that is an other story.

Reactions: MTO and anotherlab
the app drone base is a work for hire rights grab. after you shoot the images they process and post them and if their client pays them you get a percentage but after that they own the images and copyright.
they can market to third parties and you have no rights, this is work for hire. once you create an image the copyright belongs to you unless you agree to the work for hire agreement by using their app.

Yes and it's clearly stated on their website. Nothing is hidden so long as you do your due diligence and read the terms etc.

How is it not fair? YOU have the OPTION to not use their "service". It's perfectly fair even if it's almost predatory in some ways. It's up to you do know who/what you're dealing with. Also they do a lot of work on the backside getting clients etc.

If you want ALL the $$ then you've got to do the leg work to shoot the work and draw in clients. It's a fairly simple process but it requires time and dedication.

I searched "drone base" and do not see this app. Can someone advise me how to find it?

Reminds me of the photo "contests" where gullible photographers submit their best work and the contest holders then own the use of the images having paid the photographers nothing for their work. There are rip and burn wedding photographers who give a DVD to their clients and that is that and they demean the business and give people the idea that good photography should be cheap or even free.

One does not have to choose between not selling and selling or giving away the rights to their work. What is smarter is to license the work for a particular use and for a fixed period of time. If I submit images that are to be used for an annual report that is one fee and if they want to reuse the images for advertisements then that is another fee and it is also for a limited period of time or usage.

The only time I donate my work is when it is for a charitable organization and even then I provide a free license and not outright ownership which would make no sense.

Important also to have in the agreement a statement that allows you to use any work that is produced for a client for your own promotional purposes. If you give away the copyright and license then you cannot even use your own work to promote your business.

If I am taking product pictures or photos for some corp. annual report, they are not of much value to anyone but the guy making the product so the copyright really would not be of any value to me.

However, that picture of a bald eagle diving after a fish or big foot, that is another story.

Agree 100%.

What world do you live in. I have been a Professional Cinematographer and Photographer for 20 years. Work for Hire is JUST THAT. You do a job, you get paid, the people that hire you own the work, Its how professionals photographers, painters, writers, animators, game coders have worked since the invention of the "copy right" If you want to own your own work, GO OUT ON YOUR OWN DIME, film and then license it. That way the risk is yours, maybe you will license it maybe you wont but you will own it.

Reminds me of the photo "contests" where gullible photographers submit their best work and the contest holders then own the use of the images having paid the photographers nothing for their work. There are rip and burn wedding photographers who give a DVD to their clients and that is that and they demean the business and give people the idea that good photography should be cheap or even free.

One does not have to choose between not selling and selling or giving away the rights to their work. What is smarter is to license the work for a particular use and for a fixed period of time. If I submit images that are to be used for an annual report that is one fee and if they want to reuse the images for advertisements then that is another fee and it is also for a limited period of time or usage.

The only time I donate my work is when it is for a charitable organization and even then I provide a free license and not outright ownership which would make no sense.

Important also to have in the agreement a statement that allows you to use any work that is produced for a client for your own promotional purposes. If you give away the copyright and license then you cannot even use your own work to promote your business.

Drone Base IS NOT a contest. They post jobs, you click on the job if you want to do the work. You do the work, you submit the pics/vids, they pay, a simple easy work for hire. Or go out and shoot your own pics at "random" spending your own money, post them on a Photo Site that licenses footage like over stock and maybe hopefully someone will license it. I refer to get paid for my work, If I am out flying for fun and maybe get a killer shot, sure I'll post it on OverStock, but I don't do that to try and earn a living. I have done a dozen jobs with Drone Base. Pick a gig, shoot it, get paid.

For more than 20 years I have been a videographer and for the past 11 years, I have sold video footage through an agency in NY. They handle all the curating, marketing and licensing while I do all the editing, uploading, tagging, pricing for 50% of the sales. Of course, I retain copyrights of all my footage.

For more than 20 years I have been a videographer and for the past 11 years, I have sold video footage through an agency in NY. They handle all the curating, marketing and licensing while I do all the editing, uploading, tagging, pricing for 50% of the sales. Of course, I retain copyrights of all my footage.
Which agency do you sell your footage through?

Which agency do you sell your footage through?

I didn't post here to disclose which agency I deal with. But if you are interested in selling footage then go online and research stock footage agencies.

I get that. They tell you all that in their FAQ's. If you go into it knowing that I see no big deal. What chance would you have of selling photos of a piece of real estate later anyway? They offered to pay $250 for me to photograph some buildings and if I hadn't crashed I maybe would have collected. I still think it's a good deal if you've got spare time. When I told them I crashed one of the bosses called me and said if there were any usable images he would try to cover some of the costs of repairing my drone. Unfortunately I crashed like 60 seconds into the first location.

The final jury is still out though because they did something recently that makes me wonder if it was shady. I'll tell you about it next time if you're interested...

Drone Base IS NOT a contest. They post jobs, you click on the job if you want to do the work. You do the work, you submit the pics/vids, they pay, a simple easy work for hire. Or go out and shoot your own pics at "random" spending your own money, post them on a Photo Site that licenses footage like over stock and maybe hopefully someone will license it. I refer to get paid for my work, If I am out flying for fun and maybe get a killer shot, sure I'll post it on OverStock, but I don't do that to try and earn a living. I have done a dozen jobs with Drone Base. Pick a gig, shoot it, get paid.

What did you sell and how much did you get?

Reactions: Chirp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1