Drone and Airport security

Reaction score
I'm planing to fly in January out of UK ( European route ) and planing to take my drone in backpack - of course i don't want to give it away at the check in as I.m worry it will be destroyed when treated as cargo bag. does Anybody have idea if going trough personal security with drone as hand luggage will be a problem? - i dont want to be told that propellers are dangerous and can be used as weapon and this sort of bullls*&(^*(. and be forced to leave drone at the airport.

I'm planing to fly in January out of UK ( European route ) and planing to take my drone in backpack - of course i don't want to give it away at the check in as I.m worry it will be destroyed when treated as cargo bag. does Anybody have idea if going trough personal security with drone as hand luggage will be a problem? - i dont want to be told that propellers are dangerous and can be used as weapon and this sort of bullls*&(^*(. and be forced to leave drone at the airport.

There are a bunch of threads on this topic. While I can't speak for Europe, I can say that I have never had any issue traveling with my Phantom in the US and carrying it on. I definitely wouldn't check it if you don't have a hard case... I have checked my Phantom a number of times in a hard case and zip tied the gimbal lock in place and used extra bubble wrap around the gimbal as well.

Hi i did contacted Airport Security and thats the answer i got from them:
Maybe will help some people traveling from UK.

My message to them :
Hi ! I'm planing to fly from Bristol , and take my drone camera with me - as it cost fortune i would prefer to take it with me on board, is there any restrictions for example voltage of battery or propellers etc ? drone will be in back pack of standard cabin bag . I went on same forums about drones but most of them just talking about US laws - which is not help for me at all. thank you for respond. Regards A.

THEIR ANSWER:

Good Evening

Thank you for contacting Bristol Airport today.

I have spoken to a member of the Security Team and they have advised me that it should not be a problem, however I would like to draw your attention to this page of the .GOV website about Electronic Devices and Hand Luggage Restrictions at UK Airports where it has some information regarding batteries:

Hand luggage restrictions at UK airports - GOV.UK

I should also point out that Airport security staff won’t let anything through that they consider dangerous - even if it’s normally allowed in hand luggage.

More information about baggage guidelines can be found on the Bristol Airport website here:

Baggage guidelines and restrictions

I hope you find this information useful.

Kind Regards,

Customer Experience Team

I've traveled extensively with my Phantoms and the only issues I've ever had were with Customs, never with security. However, on the last trip I took to Costa Rica, the counter agent was very specific in asking about lithium batteries and getting visual assurance they were in a Li-Po safe bag. They were, so no problem.

I am going to Caribbean Sunday, I am brining my p3 with, I wasn't aware LiPo bags we're required, can anyone confirm? Thanks. Ps- I've bought my hard shell backpack as instructed...and a 3rd battery....and a nd16cp filter...and a lightning cord....I went Christmas crazy a month too soon, the wife is going to weigh me down with cinder blocks, throw me In construction bag and drown me. Maybe I shouldn't go...

I am going to Caribbean Sunday, I am brining my p3 with, I wasn't aware LiPo bags we're required, can anyone confirm?
That's the first mention I've heard of Lipo bags being required.
Maybe a Coast Rica thing or the personal opinion of the guy that gave it, but definitely not widespread and general.
Check your airline's website for details of what they require for batteries and if you need a confidence booster, print it out and carry with you.

Reactions: Tricky
I flew to Dublin from Chicago and 0 problems in Ireland but Chicago gave it the once over in the scanner then swabed it for explosives. I used a hard shell case just incase they forced me to check it. The only problem I had in Ireland is the rain. They did not say anything about liPo bag or propellers. Just took my bottled water and sent me on my way, that's Chicago

Reactions: cheebs
just in case - I always have some of these on me: http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Batt...&qid=1447257506&sr=8-9&keywords=lipo+safe+bag

I don't think they are generally required (as someone mentioned above) but it's not like it's hard to carry these around with you.

Required or not, I still believe it's a good idea to take safety precautions, so I always take my batteries in a bag. You never know when a LiPo may decide to immolate itself.

Actually, even at home I keep them in bags.

I've flown with mine, no problem at all. Just make sure to store your props in your checked bag, as those can be considered weapons.

@dvarhol is that your experience, did TSA tell you your Props were dangerous and needed to be checked, or is this just your two cents...cuz im not terribly comfortable separating bird parts on a whim...id much rather have all my bits and pieces together, in overhead bin...

thx for the info everyone!

@dvarhol is that your experience, did TSA tell you your Props were dangerous and needed to be checked, or is this just your two cents...cuz im not terribly comfortable separating bird parts on a whim...id much rather have all my bits and pieces together, in overhead bin...

thx for the info everyone!
I just did stored them separately as a precaution, id rather be safe then sorry. But I have heard of people getting through with the props no problem as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.