Driving Phantom motors outside of quad

Reaction score
I have an idea for a project with the old OEM motors and E300 ECMs I have.
What I would like to know is how I can manually drive them. The wiring of the motor to ECM is obvious (watching for cw or ccw), then a red/black pair goes out of the ECM to what I expect is direct 11.1-14.xV (3s or 4s lipo) via the distributor pcb.
Then there are 3 small wires for rotational speed. Red/black is probably the 5V from Naza, yellow is signal voltage? Thus I can just wire a pot in accordingly and drive the motor?
If so, would anyone happen to know the idle voltage? Full speed is somwhere around 4.8V?

Thanks!

Fyod said:
I have an idea for a project with the old OEM motors and E300 ECMs I have.
What I would like to know is how I can manually drive them. The wiring of the motor to ECM is obvious (watching for cw or ccw), then a red/black pair goes out of the ECM to what I expect is direct 11.1-14.xV (3s or 4s lipo) via the distributor pcb.
Then there are 3 small wires for rotational speed. Red/black is probably the 5V from Naza, yellow is signal voltage? Thus I can just wire a pot in accordingly and drive the motor?
If so, would anyone happen to know the idle voltage? Full speed is somwhere around 4.8V?

Thanks!

i dont think it works like that, yellow is signal perhaps but the controller always has the same voltage in, the signal down the wire tells the ESC what speed to drive the motors. it isn't so much a voltage variation on the signal wire more a frequency/pulse variation. you might be able to use a servo tester to drive the ESC but using a regular tranny and receiver is probably the easiest option. if you want the motor to spin the other way just swap 2 of the wires over between the ESC and the motor, it doesn't matter which 2.

You're right. I'll do it with a MC board and check some opensource quad info. Thanks for your input!

esquema_eletrico_brushless.jpg

You can also find 555 timer IC based servo testers you can build that will allow you to use a pot, as you first mentioned, for speed control.

Enjoy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl