drifting a lot in gps mode

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New pilot here, just got mine 3 days ago. I'm having issues with the Phantom starting to drift left and slowly picking up speed. I have to keep applying right stick to keep it hovering. There was no wind to affect it. If I switch to attitude mode, it's a lot more stable and doesn't drift as much.

I checked the Naza software. The settings look pretty normal and it told me I don't need to do a calibration but I did it anyway. Seems like it might have gotten worse since I did the calibration.

What is the most likely cause of this? Should I be looking into balancing the props? Should I recalibrate again but try to find an even more level surface? Should I try without prop guards? Thoughts?

Thanks!

brad90631 said:
Have you done the Compass dance?

Yes compass calibrated. The compass readings look normal in the software as far as I can tell (within proper range). There are no warning lights at startup or after. Compass problem would be red/yellow/red/yellow i think.

Should I try the compass dance again? I guess it's the same process to attempt again? (flip between gps/att 10 times)

Run the Advanced IMU calibration. The Phantom will sort of drift inside a box when in GPS mode. Granted it is a small box but you might notice it if you are flying the Phantom within about 10 feet of you and trying to get a precision hover.

It could also be that the props need to be balanced. I had some carbon fiber props on mine, it flew fine but was unstable in a hover and would drift. I put the balanced stock props on an the drifting stopped.

i have 2 phantoms 1 is the older version throttle stick all the way down. my second phantom has throttle in the middle. since the upgrade both want to hunt. old one has stock props new one has CF. both have been balanced.

Make sure you do the advanced IMU calibration and then re-apply the Phantom's default that DJI has on their web site.

Also, take the Phantom apart. There is a gray pad that insulates the GPS. Take that off. On the GPS is a tiny battery. Make sure that it is connected. A bad battery or a battery that has come loose might be causing the GPS to hunt.

there must be a problem in your compass. mine was like that before behaving like a crazy dog.,i fixed it and now it is very stable .when she hover it stays in a position waiting for my command.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj