Drift over the course of a flight

Reaction score
First time post here...
I've noticed an issue begin to creep up with my Phantom. Upon takeoff, things are solid in both ATTI and GPS modes. But by the end of the flight there is a slight drift (usually towards 5:00 - with 12:00 being straight forward). This can be seen in both ATTI and GPS modes with a recent IMU flight calibration.
A couple of notes:
-There is a slight chance that this is wind. It's the type of movement you would expect from wind - pretty subtle. But it does this in GPS mode which should fight any wind. It also does it at 2-3 feet off the ground where the wind should be minimal.
-While learning, I did take some big crashes. One led to a Error 25 and some Naza unit smacking to reset it and one slightly bent a motor inward (I think the shell is actually slightly bent.) I placed a few rubber washers under the motor to balance it out. While this might cause the unit to move a little strangely, what's weird to me is that it seems stable at the beginning of the flight and only goes drifty at the end.
Thoughts?

Mine has always done that. I haven't had real hard landings but a couple of good tip over etc. I've balanced the props and check the Naza after each flying session. Each time it says I need an IMU recalibration. I run the software, take it outside And it still does it. Just enough to slowly creep away usually to my 3 o'clock, or right side when facing away from me. Not a big deal when nearby and close to the ground but a little scary when its high in the sky and wandering away. Wide open area, lots of satellites, no wind. Go figure.

Have you tried calibrating your transmitter? Do you think that would help?
The one nice thing is that when I am using it to get a nice slow move around an object to film it, you can actually use the drift / creep to your benefit.

fourthline said:
Have you tried calibrating your transmitter? Do you think that would help?
The one nice thing is that when I am using it to get a nice slow move around an object to film it, you can actually use the drift / creep to your benefit.

I do you calibrate the transmitter?

I recently changed the gain settings in the Naza assistant software, and now my Phantom drifts to the right.
so I guess I will have to play around to see what is causing it.

That's helpful to know. I changed mine as well - the change to carbon fiber props warranted a new gain structure.
Does anyone have what the original settings should be?

Doubt you will get rid of it all, as it seems the Phantom, using GPS will drift in a rectangular pattern.

These are the gain settings I am using.

BASIC GAIN
Pitch=140 Roll=140 Yaw=100 Vertical=110

ATTITUDE GAIN
Pitch=140 Roll=140

I obtained these settings from the Naza M controller guide pdf as settings for the FW330.

Other than the drift to the right, it is awesome ! the actions are crisp, smooth.

I am running T-motor Anti-gravity motors, and 9" carbon fiber props.
But It handles fantastic for all the weight, of the gimbal, GoPro with waterproof housing, 2 bec's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.