Drastic speed reduction with new Firmware

Reaction score
Ok, Just updated my P3p and my 4 batteries this morning.
I live in Las Vegas. 54 degrees F. No wind at all.

The vertical ascending speed is noticeably slower now. horizontal speed, I reached 36 MPH, but the
acceleration was noticeably slower. I used to love how fast this quad could accelerate upward. Now
it is very slow.

Very disappointing update. Feels like i am in Beginner mode or the Emergency brake was left on. LOL

Has anyone successfully switched back to the previous firmware and how did you do it.???

Thanks

Ok, Just updated my P3p and my 4 batteries this morning.
I live in Las Vegas. 54 degrees F. No wind at all.

The vertical ascending speed is noticeably slower now. horizontal speed, I reached 36 MPH, but the
acceleration was noticeably slower. I used to love how fast this quad could accelerate upward. Now
it is very slow.

Very disappointing update. Feels like i am in Beginner mode or the Emergency brake was left on. LOL

Has anyone successfully switched back to the previous firmware and how did you do it.???
Put the 1.4 bin file on a formatted sd card and place in your P3 just like normal and start it up. There are countless posts on how to do this...
Thanks

I didn't feel it was so drastic for me. But I could be mistaken. I'll fly again tomorrow. I flew just a few degrees above freezing. At altitude it did about 35-36 mph but that's what it did before in phantom mode as well.

As I said earlier in response to a similar thread that it seems DJI is trying to reduce stresses on motors and shells by limiting accelerations/ deceleration to resolve that popular stress crack issue temporarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer91
The speed is only reduced if the battery temp is at lower readings. Or if you begin getting too low of volts on any of the 4 cell's while in flight. None of this should show up in warm weather.

I would like to view your flight log file if you don't mind sharing it mike22222. I would need the .txt file of the flight located on the device you used while flying. If you need details on how to just let me know.

-Frank

Its been a while since I've lived in snow country. If you take your P3P out and there's snow on the ground. When those motors warm up won't that be a bad thing? Cool to hot on this plastic don't seem like a good idea since many of them crack reguardless.

I just checked out my logs on healthy drones. I uploaded a flight two days ago, one yesterday afternoon and today's on the new firmware. All three flights were pretty close in conditions. Altitudes were the same. Speeds came in at around 37 mph on all three independent of the old firmware or the new 1.6.0040. Tomorrow I have to do a hard acceleration and climb post takeoff and one minute hover warmup (ski resort temps) to see how it is. Now here is a kicker. The fastest speeds I've gotten were during the summer on my first, now cracked to hell, May delivery phantom 3 advanced. Old motors. This advanced I flew today has the new motors. It very well could be that bigger differences in speed might be more obvious on old motor craft. Could be. Anyway, I have to see what tomorrow brings. It's all speculation until I have a couple of more flights logged. The one thing I do is get my bird going within two to three minutes of it leaving the 75 degrees Fahrenheit of my living room. Lately with the cold temps I might see atti come on a few times on the climb. Max climb and max speed. It was still there today. It goes away once level at 400 feet. It's intermittent and not there at every flight. Could be many things including a winter GPS satellite and massive mountains all around relationship situation. Or winter power delivery affecting GPS. Who knows. But anyway, the firmware went in perfect as always. I've never had firmware issues in any phantom. Cracks in every one but never firmware issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
As I said earlier in response to a similar thread that it seems DJI is trying to reduce stresses on motors and shells by limiting accelerations/ deceleration to resolve that popular stress crack issue temporarily.
Now if only the shells were thicker.....
It has nothing at all to do with shells or cracking..
The release notes explain what it is about.

The speed is only reduced if the battery temp is at lower readings. Or if you begin getting too low of volts on any of the 4 cell's while in flight. None of this should show up in warm weather.

I would like to view your flight log file if you don't mind sharing it mike22222. I would need the .txt file of the flight located on the device you used while flying. If you need details on how to just let me know.

-Frank
You have tons of insight ! Wow

That's absolutely ridiculous. This has everything to do with the batteries and voltage load under certain environmental conditions .

But I keep my batteries warm and usually I'm flying slowly for filming. Don't batteries get warm during flight even in cold temps? I say again, many people have chimed in along the way about not having problems at all in very cold temperatures. All of a sudden it's a problem that had to be addressed? Did they realize, uh just now, that the phantom is over spec'd for the batteries? Can't you just fly more conservatively in cold temperatures and avoid problems?

Heck, I live in an alpine ski resort and I always fly high speed over mountains. For half of the year. Not once have I had a problem. But I always take off with a battery at over 20 degrees Celsius.

There have been a number of reported incidents on here which go along the lines of all seemed normal at start up, flew away or straight up then suddenly the motors cut out - often less than a minute after starting. These incidents seem more frequent as things cooled down through Autumn.

Agreed. While I haven't had an issue, I suspect others aren't doing the exact same thing I'm doing. My apartment is heated to 23 degrees Celsius. Maybe more if I have my fireplace on. From my dining room table, where my phantom sits, to outside the apartment and in the air is a less than a three minute process. Usually less. No dicking around. Outside and in the air doing a one minute hover after takeoff which I do in winter. Others? Who knows. Maybe the phantom sat in the back seat of a cold car for the duration of the drive to the field. Not an ice cold car but not over 70 either. Takes a bit to warm a car. Maybe they haven't done a one minute hover as recommended by DJI. My flights are all around 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Never an issue in about 90 something flights at those temperatures. Cold temperatures for sure, but I've done all the precautions.

So ... the thread title suggests a drastic speed reduction with new firmware - but there are no accounts here of anyone identifying a drastic speed loss.
I'd be interested to see some real numbers - not ... it seems to be slower/faster.
Can anyone give real numbers for any change in speed for the new firmware?
Ascent speed or horizontal speed (not affected by wind).

Healthy drone logs gave me a max speed if 37 mph prior to the new firmware and the same yesterday post update. I'm going to do a flight now and report back.

Just finished a flight. -1 degree Celsius. Drone started at room temperature of 23 degrees Celsius. Climb is a hair slower and maybe the acceleration was slower. But maximum forward speed was still in the 37 MPH range.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers