Drastic speed reduction on P4 in GPS mode

Reaction score
I took the P4 out tonight for some sunset shots - lovely calm evening, about 12c temp. Battery full, rc fully charged, everything normal. Got a great gps lock (20) and took off no issues. But my forward (horizontal) speed wouldn't go beyond 6mps. Switched into Sport mode and speed normal - around 19.8. Same with ATTI. But GPS mode and I'm almost in 'learner' mode - I'm not. Everything worked fine, just slow. Got some nice pics, mind.... Any ideas? [
80e9e21b36cddcece9180cd52d1f7247.jpg

IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/1596458f4b4c693f71a2097f4b36628e.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

GPS mode is slower compared to other modes as it continuously compute it's new position and checks if it's reducing the gap between actual and reference values. It's like a complex closed loop working.

Hope you are getting enough satellites and compass is properly calibrated. I doubt if RC sticks calibration will matter but nothing wrong in getting it done again.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I also understand OA reduces speed and turning it off increases speed in GPS mode, but haven't tried it.

Also not recommended if OA is essential to you.

Thank you for your replies. However, the point I'm making is that the speed has changed dramatically in a few days - no other changes made. I wondered if it was an update and others are getting the same situation. I know that GPS mode is slower but it has suddenly dropped to less than half of the standard GPS mode.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank you for your replies. However, the point I'm making is that the speed has changed dramatically in a few days - no other changes made. I wondered if it was an update and others are getting the same situation. I know that GPS mode is slower but it has suddenly dropped to less than half of the standard GPS mode.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Could it be that it was windy that day? Have you tried calibrating your remote? Could it be that OA was turned off and some update/reset enabled it again?

There are two speeds in P mode.. With object avoidance (Visual Sensing System) off, expect around 13-14 m/s. With it on, expect around 5 m/s.

Also, make sure 'Multiple Flight Modes' is on. I recall doing a firmware update update a while ago and finding out that the update turned this setting off. Until I realized this, I couldn't figure out why it flew so slowly in Sport mode.

S mode uses GPS and it should do over 40mph, not slow.

Make sure multiple flight mode is enabled. In P mode with OA enabled it should only fly about 16mph, even though DJI says 22mph. Turn off OA and it should fly about 33mph in P mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31