Downward laser for landing

Reaction score
I have trouble knowing whether or not my P3A is landing on my driveway and not the powerlines to the right of it. Does anyone know of a laser that I can turn off and on remotely? I like to mount one to the drone and turn on it during landing.

As a side note, bad things could happen if you fly around power lines. Be careful.

Reactions: JamesD
If I have issues with judging, I normally just point the camera straight down for a moment to see if I am directly over something.

If I have issues with judging, I normally just point the camera straight down for a moment to see if I am directly over something.
For some reason I've found it hard for me to figure out from the downward camera if I'm landing in the right spot.

For some reason I've found it hard for me to figure out from the downward camera if I'm landing in the right spot.

place a small light on the drive so you can aim to it.

I fly at night and land on drive all the time ,knowing where it is coming down is never an issue, but that is LOS.
are you flying strictly fpv or combo of fpv and los.?

This is the primary reason I have c1 programmed to look down...its a quick way to get my bearings and tell exactly what I am over.

Just wish it went back to the previous angle when toggled back.

Reactions: MarkEngland
This is the primary reason I have c1 programmed to look down...its a quick way to get my bearings and tell exactly what I am over.

Just wish it went back to the previous angle when toggled back.
I also set one of the C buttons to look down. On the first day I owned it in fact since it was so helpful. I agree that it's annoying that it doesn't go back to the previous angle. It seems like such a simple thing to do and something that most likely a majority of pilots would prefer.

I am sure you could get a miniature laser pointer you could strap on your P3. Question is how will you turn it on and off. It can't run the whole time you are flying, you would randomly blind bystanders. Well then there is the FAA and pilots union you would have to contend with.

I am sure you could get a miniature laser pointer you could strap on your P3. Question is how will you turn it on and off. It can't run the whole time you are flying, you would randomly blind bystanders. Well then there is the FAA and pilots union you would have to contend with.
They already totally freak out about any UFO and call it a drone, can you imagine the massive uproar if drones were carrying laser pointers as well. A double whammy. The entire US would be a NFZ.

You know what I just thought of... @Timacbackup

Connect the laser pointer switch to the FWD LEDs power. Leave it off and when you want to land turn the LEDs on. You could even strip the pointer down to only the lasing component, a tiny little package strapped on the bird somewhere (hehehe, like the camera gimble) and have the LED power operate the laser. (Kinda like @Meta4 video link)

Shazam! I love this idea. Now I can turn on and off all kinds of stuff! And drop stuff!

Hell Yea!

Reactions: bimmy and wali
Well, yea, maybe.

Don't assume you can drive any load on the 'stock' circuits for the arm's LEDs.

More to consider here.

Well, yea, maybe.

Don't assume you can drive any load on the 'stock' circuits for the arm's LEDs.

More to consider here.

Well if you disconnect the LEDs you could load the circuit to 20mA X 6 = 120mA. Use that to drive a small solid state relay. I am waiting till the warranty goes out before I open the bird though.

Right on!

Not so much for you but others who may have less experience in such things.

Diode biasing is favorite test subject when evaluating techs and engineers alike.

So just a bit more information for the thread. I still need to pop the top on the old bird, not real anxious at this point.

So I am probably going to order a couple G3MB-202P OMRONs 5 volts at about 20mA according to Mouser's data sheet and will switch 2 amps. Could disconnect one or two LEDs for control power, they should be about 20mA per light since they are very bright, all six should allow you to drive 80mA. I will probably run the wires to an AUX DPDT switch to turn off the LEDs and route the voltage to a small plug stashed somewhere on the bird. You could probably find a better package in the solid state relay search tool on mouser.com but they have way to many to choose from. I measured my bright green laser operating at 4vdc at 230mA so the LED power won't drive even that without some relay and external power source. I plan on operating THIS LED
Strapped to a landing gear pointed straight forward and driven by a 18650 battery strapped on the opposite landing gear. Measured the XM-L T6 at 1.75A using a fresh charged 18650. Should do sufficient lighting caves and mines I fly up to.

Actually I just ordered two of these from ebay

1pcs 5v 1 Channel OMRON SSR G3MB-202P Solid State Relay Module For Arduino

Slow boat from China again, uuggh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj