Downtown San Diego - Lindbergh Field says "Don't do it..."

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my brief experience with attempting to fly my DJI P4 in downtown San Diego. I live near Petco park and thought the area, with it's new construction, would be great to film/document. I contacted ATC today at Lindbergh field and was told "No drones are allowed to fly within 3 miles of the airport - period. They interfere with flights and throw warnings with their collision systems." The attached photo shows a 3 mile radius around the airport, for reference.

Just wanted to share. :-/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 1.07.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 1.07.31 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 775
Reactions: BigAl07
Don't forget about all the other stuff you can't fly around in San Diego also. Almost not worth having a drone in Cali.

@Heath Holley - I also live in San Diego (north county) and as you know, the airspace in a 5 mile radius around major airports is restricted. San Diego airport is also only one runway and surrounded by development, so they have to be very protective of their airspace. For example, there are building height restrictions in downtown San Diego, so we will never have NYC-like skyscrapers as long as the airport is in that location. Add to this the fact that you have several naval bases within a few miles of downtown San Diego and the airport, and you are basically in a no-fly zone.

That being said, I have to disagree with @J&L about having a drone in Cali. I live 15 minutes north of San Diego, still in San Diego county, and there are many wide open and beautiful areas to fly. I would argue that the sheer size of California, and the ability to go from ocean to mountain to valley to desert landscapes in just a few hours' drive, makes it one of the best places to own a drone.

@Heath Holley - I also live in San Diego (north county) and as you know, the airspace in a 5 mile radius around major airports is restricted. San Diego airport is also only one runway and surrounded by development, so they have to be very protective of their airspace. For example, there are building height restrictions in downtown San Diego, so we will never have NYC-like skyscrapers as long as the airport is in that location. Add to this the fact that you have several naval bases within a few miles of downtown San Diego and the airport, and you are basically in a no-fly zone.

That being said, I have to disagree with @J&L about having a drone in Cali. I live 15 minutes north of San Diego, still in San Diego county, and there are many wide open and beautiful areas to fly. I would argue that the sheer size of California, and the ability to go from ocean to mountain to valley to desert landscapes in just a few hours' drive, makes it one of the best places to own a drone.
I agree, I'm currently in a business trip in the San Francisco Bay Area. The bay is gorgeous to fly in from Berkeley Marina on the East Bay capturing SFO and it's skyline from across the bay. In the San Jose area, I've captured Mission Peak and south in Santa Cruz, I was able to capture the Redwood trees in Big Basin.

I don't agree with what y'all are saying cause there is plenty film but if you play by the rules you will have to notify each airport your flying around. Then all the military bases Etc. I used to live in San Diego and we mainly saw them being used out in the desert. image.png image.png

I'm north of the 56 so I don't have to go too far. Lake Hodges (what's left of it) is my usual spot but haven't been in a bit.

image.png
Look at all these airports. They over lap like crazy. You'd have to contact a lot of of them. Let alone the other areas that's off limits cause of the bases. Gotta be dedicated to fly in SoCal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers