Downloading 4K videos

Reaction score
Wow I didn't no it would be so hard to download Videos shot at 4K I tried to on my dell studio laptop which is a older one but it wouldn't play at all with Windows media so,I installed vlc and it will pull of the videos up but just shows still images and maybe once every 15 to 20 seconds it might change to a different view.I'll try shooting in 720 and see what that does

You said OLD LAPTOP ? forget it :-(

To play 4K, you need at least I5, even probably I7 with SSD drive.

Wow I didn't no it would be so hard to download Videos shot at 4K I tried to on my dell studio laptop which is a older one but it wouldn't play at all with Windows media so,I installed vlc and it will pull of the videos up but just shows still images and maybe once every 15 to 20 seconds it might change to a different view.I'll try shooting in 720 and see what that does
Yes, you'll probably struggle with an older pc such as yours. Dropping down to perhaps 1080p will enable your pc to play the vids and yet the quality will still be quite reasonable.

You could also try using Potplayer as an alternative media player. My older desktop pc struggles to play 4K with VLC, but for some unknown reason does quite a lot better with Potplayer.

Reactions: Mac Drone
Ohhhhh ok I'll try that then..also my laptop is not super super old its does have hdmi outputs lol it's the dell studio 1555 it's a late 2009

it's not really about output and stuff like that, it's really about processing the file.

so:
- a fast CPU (I3 / I5 I7)
- a powerful GPU (graphics card)
- a fast hard drive (like SSD)

I've found that shooting in 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps is ideal. My laptop also won't play anything in 4 k without the jerking video. The 1080 is smooth as silk and crystal clear.

Hey thanks!! I'll try that today and see what happens

Good luck!

I actually did a bunch of video tests the other day in different formats/ speeds to see what the highest quality I can get ono my laptop without any issues and that was my conclusion.

I've found that shooting in 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps is ideal. My laptop also won't play anything in 4 k without the jerking video. The 1080 is smooth as silk and crystal clear.
What software/player are you using?

The issue is the HEVC (h265) codec DJI uses. The codec requires powerful CPU to decode in real time. High powered graphics cards don'help unless they have hardware decoding. Switching to 1080p usually solves the problem as the images are 1/4 the size.

5kplayer on the Mac works on older machines with 4K. There may be a version for Windows as well.

Another approach is to transcode the 4K footage to a codec that is faster and easier to decode. No quality is lost, and playback is fine. Mac Prores files work fine on my 2008 Mac Pro. Obviously you need a graphics card that does 4K as well, to see what you have got.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I did reduce my image to 1080p yesterday and it still didn't play for me on my dell studio 1555. The image shows but just still images

Yes, you'll probably struggle with an older pc such as yours. Dropping down to perhaps 1080p will enable your pc to play the vids and yet the quality will still be quite reasonable.

You could also try using Potplayer as an alternative media player. My older desktop pc struggles to play 4K with VLC, but for some unknown reason does quite a lot better with Potplayer.
Thanks I download pot player today and it played all my videos even the 4K! just choppy, but it played all the way through that's the only media player that played any of them on my computer so far thanks so much

Reactions: Steve7777
If there's anyone who's using a laptop and can download 4K videos at 60 frames per second and edit them flawlessly please advise what type you are using as I would love to purchase one like you have. Thank you so much in advance

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik