Downgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.4 - can't get it to work ???

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I picked up a new P3 Advanced. It has 1.5.3 and I'm trying to roll that back to1.4 so the altitude recorded in the exif data for stills will be OK for photogrammetry.
Everything I read says I should be able to go backwards one version but I'm having no luck.
The Phantom gives me this message every time:
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.
Of course it's older ... I'm trying to downgrade.
Anyone have any suggestions or am I stuck?

Mine is standard, but I had to look to see what my message error was compared to yours. Mine said doesn't support downgrade. At least yours didn't say that.

Picture in post.
No signal after update

I presume you mean 1.5.030 and not 1.5.3 right? Have you tried the DEV build of 1.5.011? Its basically 1.4.010 with the ability for the advanced flight modes added but without the cold battery issues. Its what I run on my birds.

I presume you mean 1.5.030 and not 1.5.3 right? Have you tried the DEV build of 1.5.011? Its basically 1.4.010 with the ability for the advanced flight modes added but without the cold battery issues. Its what I run on my birds.
Does 1.5.011 use GPS or barometer for Exif altitude data in still photos?
That's what's important for me.
1.4 uses barometer but 1.5.030 and later use GPS for some unknown reason (GPS is usless for altitude data)

Does 1.5.011 use GPS or barometer for Exif altitude data in still photos?
That's what's important for me.
1.4 uses barometer but 1.5.030 and later use GPS for some unknown reason (GPS is usless for altitude data)

Well, frankly I have no clue. How would I be able to determine that?

Well, frankly I have no clue. How would I be able to determine that?
By looking at the exif data for a photo you take.
With barometer data, the altitude shown is above your launch point (and if you are flying level all photos should show almost identical heights).
With GPS data, the altitude shown is a much higher number because it's showing altitude above sea level.
But even though the flight was level, there will be a lot of variation in altitudes shown because of GPS altitude error.
Here's the exif data for a photo showing barometer data:
i-H7gLW9v-L.jpg

I've given up now and bought another older Phantom to get back to 1.4 and I'll sell the new unflown one.

I know you said you bought another bird but I thought you might like the info anyway.

The following images were taken with my P3P with 1.5.011 firmware:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPS Altitude 21.1 m Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude Ref Above Sea Level
GPS Latitude 32 deg 39' 29.62" N
GPS Latitude Ref North
GPS Longitude 86 deg 30' 3.32" W
GPS Longitude Ref West
GPS Position 32 deg 39' 29.62" N, 86 deg 30' 3.32" W
GPS Version ID 2.3.0.0
Lightroom says 69.2 ft. Thats about right since I took off from the side of the freeway that you can see in this image:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPS Altitude 1.4 m Below Sea Level
GPS Altitude Ref Below Sea Level
GPS Latitude 30 deg 46' 15.74" N
GPS Latitude Ref North
GPS Longitude 85 deg 56' 51.60" W
GPS Longitude Ref West
GPS Position 30 deg 46' 15.74" N, 85 deg 56' 51.60" W
GPS Version ID 2.3.0.0
Lightroom says -4.6 ft. I can guarantee that the panhandle of florida (Ponce de Leon to be exact) is NOT below sea level. But the -5' is about the difference in height from the shore height plus the height of the picnic table I took off from.

The confederate flag is north Alabama. Absolutely more than 60' above sea level. Google says Birmingham (which this flag is north of) is 640' AMSL The springs in Ponce de Leon Florida are absolutely not 5' below sea level as google shows the area at roughly 60' AMSL. If your information to me was correct, those figures, especially the one in Alabama should have been in the hundreds of feet.

This was one of my earliest flights with my P3P. At the time it had 1.1.9.

Lightroom says 15.7 ft which seems right since I took off from the brick platform GD12 is standing on. Milwaukee is about 600' AMSL. So that confirms that 1.1.9 is storing EXIF related to takeoff altitude.

So based on this data, it appears that 1.5.011 stores relative to takeoff altitude. Whether it uses the barometer or not, I can't say. But it is relative to the takeoff.

And 1.5.011 allows Litchi (and other apps I presume) to use the advanced flight modes. I have used orbit, pano and waypoint missions in Litchi under this firmware which I was not able to do under 1.1.9. It does not have the cold weather battery bug nor the later reduced power "fix" for the batter bug. It also does not seem to gripe about NFZs. The above photo was taken ~2mi from the tower of MKE airport (its not an issue, the area is between any glide paths and there are trees, high tension power lines and a 300' tall water tower within spitting distance). Its doubtful later firmware would allow it to take off.

Last edited:
Never upgrade myself (out of the box) so I avoid these problems, phantom works like a dream.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know you said you bought another bird but I thought you might like the info anyway..
Thanks ... that looks like anything starting with 1.5 is using gps altitude data.
I picked up a little used one that's 8 months old so it should be pre-1.5.
I'll kick it up to 1.4 and be able to do photogrammetry with it as well as enjoy the good features that 1.4 has.

There is a difference between 1.5.030 (release) and 1.5.011 (dev). .030 has the battery bug, has NFZ restrictions, and may have your gps issue.

Are you saying, based on my results above, you think 1.5.011 is using gps for altitude? If thats the case, on what are you basing your assumption on?

I am curious because I can't tell whether its using barometer or gps. It, however, is very clear from the photo data its relative to the takeoff altitude which is one of the things you required.

There is a difference between 1.5.030 (release) and 1.5.011 (dev). .030 has the battery bug, has NFZ restrictions, and may have your gps issue.
Are you saying, based on my results above, you think 1.5.011 is using gps for altitude? If thats the case, on what are you basing your assumption on?
I am curious because I can't tell whether its using barometer or gps. It, however, is very clear from the photo data its rGelative to the takeoff altitude which is one of the things you required.
I missed the bit about the actual Alabama altitude ... but he bit that says: GPS Altitude 21.1 m Above Sea Level PS Altitude Ref Above Sea Level, suggests that it's giving GPS altitude data.
GPS data would be relative to sea level (but GPS can easily be 400 feet out).
Barometer altitude is only relative to Home.

GPS is simply the name of the EXIF data element. You could call it FRED Altitude but that doesn't mean FRED gave you the altitude. Its whatever the Phantom puts in the field.

Guess some more experiments are in order eh?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj