Downgrade days over?

Reaction score
I am unable to use an earlier version of the assistant to downgrade to an older version of firmware. The assistant won't even let me access anything but the upgrade page of the assistant. It just keeps saying either "main controller mis-match" or that I must upgrade the main controller firmware. Can we no longer downgrade?

adanac said:
I am unable to use an earlier version of the assistant to downgrade to an older version of firmware. The assistant won't even let me access anything but the upgrade page of the assistant. It just keeps saying either "main controller mis-match" or that I must upgrade the main controller firmware. Can we no longer downgrade?

When an older version of PA offers to "upgrade" the firmware, it will actually downgrade it to the version of the firmware in that version of PA. Eg PA 3.0 will downgrade your firmware to 3.04.

Geert said:
I downgraded a few weeks ago from version 3.06 to version 1.08 , without any problems.

Geert./.
Why?

Geert,
OK, testing purposes. Shows it can be done.

Did you go ahead and try to "upgrade" the firmware (with the older Assistant)? What did it do, or what messages did it throw at you?

It won't let me view any pane in the assistant other than the one for upgrading. When I try to switch to another pane it says I have to upgrade the main firmware. Sometimes it says main firmware mis-match.

ProfessorStein said:
Did you go ahead and try to "upgrade" the firmware (with the older Assistant)? What did it do, or what messages did it throw at you?

Yes... it only let's you view the upgrade pane, from which you would upgrade the firmware. That's the question, have you tried to use that pane to do so?

Interesting.
Without having tried it myself, I'm guessing that DJI has removed the older upgrades from their server.

What version of the Assistant are you using?

I tried two or three different versions and am relatively certain I tried 1.8 and 2.0. What I need to do is be a little more scientific and take notes so I can report accurately. Many thanks for trying to help, Prof.

In the end, I may just stay with 3.06. I'm concerned about the airport restrictions (despite being a very careful, low flyer), the speed limits and, perhaps more importantly, the Phantom landing whenever/wherever it wants based on battery level.

ProfessorStein said:
Interesting.
Without having tried it myself, I'm guessing that DJI has removed the older upgrades from their server.

What version of the Assistant are you using?

Let's just say for the fun of it, if it does turn out to be a move by DJI- is anyone really surprised?

Allowing the bypassing of their 'safety' measures would not be in their best interest.

The floor is now open...

N017RW said:
Let's just say for the fun of it, if it does turn out to be a move by DJI- is anyone really surprised?

Allowing the bypassing of their 'safety' measures would not be in their best interest.

That's kind of what I thought, too, N017RW. I was a bit surprised that you could downgrade.

adanac... what are your concerns about the airport restrictions? You really shouldn't be flying anywhere near airports anyway... the firmware just kind of made it 'official'.
And the speed limits seem to only apply to GPS mode. If you need to go faster, you can switch to ATTI.
The battery warnings are a bit of a nuisance, but easily avoidable by always keeping an eye on your battery level.

How did I know you'd be first Prof! :lol:

And good point about 'could'.

The airport restrictions aren't a problem for me currently, in fact I like the idea. It may, in practice, be a problem at some point although it's unlikely - it would have to be a very specific set of circumstances.

Good to know about the speed limit for GPS only, although I only fly with GPS on.

My understanding is that the Phantom will force land when you get to a certain battery level. I upgraded yesterday and when I flew today it tried to land at 25%. It started descending on it's own. I had to quickly get it back home.

ProfessorStein said:
N017RW said:

That's kind of what I thought, too, N017RW. I was a bit surprised that you could downgrade.

adanac... what are your concerns about the airport restrictions? You really shouldn't be flying anywhere near airports anyway... the firmware just kind of made it 'official'.
And the speed limits seem to only apply to GPS mode. If you need to go faster, you can switch to ATTI.
The battery warnings are a bit of a nuisance, but easily avoidable by always keeping an eye on your battery level.

adanac said:
I upgraded yesterday and when I flew today it tried to land at 25%. It started descending on it's own. I had to quickly get it back home.

Yeah... see... that's not right. 25% should still be in the realm of when it kicks into auto-RTH, not auto-land.
There have been a number of reports about the same situation for other people... sure would be good to know what's going on. Just curious... how far out were you when you hit 25%? Supposedly it does some calculation about how long it thinks it will take to get home vs. how much battery is left. I don't necessarily believe that, but that's what they say.

I was deliberately staying close because of the upgrade and because it had been weeks since I've flown - also it was a bit windy. I was 100 yards away at most. I assume it was auto-land because I had never seen that behavior before.

I will research the upgrade more thoroughly, but can auto RTH and auto land be turned off?

ProfessorStein said:
adanac said:
I upgraded yesterday and when I flew today it tried to land at 25%. It started descending on it's own. I had to quickly get it back home.

Yeah... see... that's not right. 25% should still be in the realm of when it kicks into auto-RTH, not auto-land.
There have been a number of reports about the same situation for other people... sure would be good to know what's going on. Just curious... how far out were you when you hit 25%? Supposedly it does some calculation about how long it thinks it will take to get home vs. how much battery is left. I don't necessarily believe that, but that's what they say.

adanac said:
I will research the upgrade more thoroughly, but can auto RTH and auto land be turned off?

On a Vision, I don't believe so. Not sure about the other platforms.
Also for the Vision, with the auto RTH battery warning, a message will come up in the Vision app that tells you it's coming home and allows you to cancel the action if desired. There is, however, no option to cancel the 2nd auto-land warning, from what I've heard.

I have a P2 non-vision. Let me ask you, how does one determine the current firmware version, the Info pane?

I find the upgrade/info panes confusing. In the Info pane it says current version is 3.0. In the Upgrade pane it says Firmware 3.06, but it also says the Latest Version is 3.04, which is contradictory.

ProfessorStein said:
adanac said:

On a Vision, I don't believe so. Not sure about the other platforms.
Also for the Vision, with the auto RTH battery warning, a message will come up in the Vision app that tells you it's coming home and allows you to cancel the action if desired. There is, however, no option to cancel the 2nd auto-land warning, from what I've heard.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4