Doubled my FPV range with a soda can! :-D

Reaction score
Got this stupid idea last night to cut a soda can in half and fit behind the range extender. Tested it today and I got about 700m FPV. Longest range before was about 300m (Often less)
I used a pair scissors and the work was done in <5min.

Attachments

• bild.JPG
    bild.JPG
    550.6 KB · Views: 986
XL-Studios said:
Got this stupid idea last night to cut a soda can in half and fit behind the range extender. Tested it today and I got about 700m FPV. Longest range before was about 300m (Often less)
I used a pair scissors and the work was done in <5min.
pure genius !! ;)

Does the same thing on a WIFI for laptops if you have an external WIFI card. If you're worried about the metal contact, use a cardboard tube that is lined with a reflective metal like a pringles chips tube. We used to put them around a external laptop WIFI card and get extreme directional range to hack WIFI hotspots :eek:

Reminds me of my grandpa's buckskin rubber he kept in his tackle box. :lol:

I cant get over affording the price of a phantom but the need to use a pop can for a range extender :shock:

Simple... Things go better with Coke(tm) :D

-slinger

UAVInsurance said:
I'm trying it with a big Foster's can tonight. If the wife complains, I can tell her I have to empty the can in the name of science. Will probably take several cans to get it just right though.

But honey... they're very intricate cuts... I ALMOST got that last one right... :)

gunslinger said:
UAVInsurance said:
I'm trying it with a big Foster's can tonight. If the wife complains, I can tell her I have to empty the can in the name of science. Will probably take several cans to get it just right though.

But honey... they're very intricate cuts... I ALMOST got that last one right... :)

You know they have to be replaced after every flight, right? ;)

UAVInsurance said:

Thats the spirit!
We really need to figure out if Ale, Pilsner or Stout cans gives the best range!

I spent hours researching different antenna's and setups. Now I know how NASA felt about their Zero Gravity Pen when the Russian's used a simple pencil! LOL!!!

If it works this is brilliant!

I don't drink coke though, can I use a coffee mug instead :p

XL-Studios said:
UAVInsurance said:

Thats the spirit!
We really need to figure out if Ale, Pilsner or Stout cans gives the best range!

That's going to take a LOT of testing. Years worth.

"The development team of the new Stumblehome Range Extender (TM) would like to announce we have determined our long-anticipated product is not yet ready for production, and have instituted yet another indefinite extension on the R&D process. We would also like to know if anybody has seen Shrimpy's keys anywhere, as they've been missing since our last vigorous round of testing."

XL-Studios said:
UAVInsurance said:

Thats the spirit!

My theory is that a pilsner consumed with the left hand would work best with the lhcp antennas on the camera, but this will require extensive testing.

Great News!! We are going to manufacture them in Canada. You can sign up now for the super secret, pre-pre-pre order list. Just $199. CDN. payable upon your super secret pre-pre-pre order. Sorry but we can't say at this time when actual delivery will start, but as a bonus for waiting we will ship it full of your chioce of beer or Coke. We will eventually post instructions on how to remove the fluid, and modify and install the unit, but only after we are satisfied that we have absolutely all the bugs out of the pre-production/sort of production-ish models. And verify with a pod of whales that it works. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav