Don't use those Phantom Nuts, throw them away.

Reaction score
As has been suggested, if you lose your Propeller nuts, M6 will fit nicely. Today I had a original nut come off, so I got a box of M6 nuts with the nylon at the top, these lock nice and tight and will not come off like the original, the best and cheapest investment yet, better than using lock tight. I tired a washer underneath, but there is not a lot of thread to play with and think this is also why they come off.

Tightened the nut without washer and locks nice and tight in the nylon thread, so these will not come off.

The first thing to do is throw away those original nuts and replace them, like I did, much better and safer.

Don't risk lock tight, it eats plastic. my solution is much better, and neater.

Adam said:
Got any pics?

Would post a picture, but this forum it's not a stright forward process. I just just M6 standard nuts with the Nylon thread available at your local hardware store. If you use the standard Nuts, your going to lose them. i find the Nuts I use lock nice and tight when it screws into the nylon top, and may accually have more thread available than the orginal.

Here is a website with a picture of these types of nuts I use, but listed is M4, you need M6.

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/p/l ... s/0524304/

denodan said:
As has been suggested, if you lose your Propeller nuts, M6 will fit nicely.
Don't risk lock tight, it eats plastic. my solution is much better, and neater.

I'd somewhat have to disagree.
Most users are successfully flying with with no problems with the OEM nuts.
and I firmly believe that carefully and sparingly applied Loctite/threadlock is safe and preferable to use so long as you keep it away from the props.

I've read tho that some nuts (either the ones going clockwise or counterclockwise have more tendency to loosen.
just gotta be sure to make sure all nuts are tight prior to flying- regardless of whether you use loctite or not.

The OEM ones are also larger, and perhaps less susceptible to over-tightening. (not just because it's closed on one end, but the wider the nut, the more difficult it would be to over-tighten or stress the prop - that in turn might cause a hairline crack.

That said, if the nylon M6 nuts are used and not overtightened, I'd probably feel more comfortable flying with those than a non-loctite OEM nut.

Since the Phantom is full of plastic, Lock tight is a no go. The standard nuts do come of to easy, and make sure they are tight for each flight, but still can come off, so don't trust them. The nuts I got are far more secure, and lock up very nicely. With the original nuts they don''t feel they do up properly and or feel secure to me.

Litz said:
John2905 said:
Keep in mind if you are looking at saving weight that the Nyloc type nuts are a lot heavier than the original alloy dome nuts.

These can be purchased in aluminum, which I would guess is even lighter than the original alloy cap/dome nuts. Also available in colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/203000188-6mm-M ... 4d095374de

Thanks for that link, Ordered a set. Never liked the orginal Dome nuts on the Phantom, to me, even tighted up, they still never feel secure. never have nuts coming off my other quads, only a problem with the Phantom. If you look there is not much thread to play with on the Phantom, but the Nylon Nuts are so much more secure, and when done up, lock on, unlike the Dome nuts. And yes those on Ebay are going to be lighter, and much more secure. And never come off. Also will look better, as i am getting the blue set.

The gold look great, but with washer on not sure if the will tighten up. Got washers for my nuts, but with washer on and nut, will not tighten.

denodan said:
Litz said:
John2905 said:
Keep in mind if you are looking at saving weight that the Nyloc type nuts are a lot heavier than the original alloy dome nuts.

These can be purchased in aluminum, which I would guess is even lighter than the original alloy cap/dome nuts. Also available in colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/203000188-6mm-M ... 4d095374de

Thanks for that link, Ordered a set. Never liked the orginal Dome nuts on the Phantom, to me, even tighted up, they still never feel secure. never have nuts coming off my other quads, only a problem with the Phantom. If you look there is not much thread to play with on the Phantom, but the Nylon Nuts are so much more secure, and when done up, lock on, unlike the Dome nuts. And yes those on Ebay are going to be lighter, and much more secure. And never come off. Also will look better, as i am getting the blue set.

The gold look great, but with washer on not sure if the will tighten up. Got washers for my nuts, but with washer on and nut, will not tighten.

I bought some from that seller... they came today. On the back of the package it says never use them with any item that is under continual stress or is vital to the handling of your machine. It goes on to say that they are for cosmetic purposes only and should only be used for non-critical parts. YIKES!
Have you used yours by now? Should I wear armor and a helmet when I go out with these holding down my Zinger props?

I never had problems with stock cone nuts either. And since the liquid Loctite is not plastic friendly, why not the Loctite tape below:

P1240760Custom_zps7b0307a3.jpg

I cut it in half and use about 1" long wrap a couple times clockwise of course.

P1240752Custom_zps007b048d.jpg

Picture below shown with titanium flange nut to show the tape:

P1240753Custom_zps2105f12b.jpg

Or to save even more weight you can use Titanium lock nut: http://www.ebay.com/itm/M4-M5-M6-M8-M10 ... 4171eea675

I ordered 2 sets and he gave me 1 extra. Note that it is NOT the flange type so lower profile and it has more nylon insert (height-wise) thus works great with Phantom. :mrgreen:

Tips: several members said you should replace the nyloc nut every 2-3 props changes but I think that may be too wasteful, so if the nylon seems to be loosen up just put them in boiling water for a minute. :mrgreen: Better yest do that before you use them. The rc helicopter and car guys have been boiling nylon parts for years to make them more flexible (not fragile) and last longer.

If I walk into a place that carries these nuts and ask for aluminum or titanium M6 nuts will that get me the right nut? Do I need to know if the threads are course, fine, chinese, etc. ?

alung said:
If I walk into a place that carries these nuts and ask for aluminum or titanium M6 nuts will that get me the right nut? Do I need to know if the threads are course, fine, chinese, etc. ?

You will be fine, they are metric treads and m6 stands for 6mm.

I bought some from that seller... they came today. On the back of the package it says never use them with any item that is under continual stress or is vital to the handling of your machine. It goes on to say that they are for cosmetic purposes only and should only be used for non-critical parts. YIKES!
Have you used yours by now? Should I wear armor and a helmet when I go out with these holding down my Zinger props?

I don't think you have much to worry about. If there were that much pressure from the prop trying to "lift" itself off of the motor shaft, the little clip holding the motor together would break long before your prop nut did.

The original nuts are not failing due to stress, they are coming off because they vibrate loose, and the motor spins them off.

(Disclaimer) No matter what you do in life, there are going to be risks.

All good advice - but the latest model of the Phantom comes with clockwise and counter-clockwise nuts for the props (silver and black). I checked in the hardware store for counter-clockwise nuts and they looked at me as if I was asking what aisle the flux capacitors were in...

Any suggestions other than ordering the replacement stock nuts that I agree are rubbish?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers