Don't understand litchi/3rd party apps.

Reaction score
I'm new to the phantom and I'm not fully understanding how 3rd party ground station apps are used. Is litchi a replacement for dji go? Are both used simultaneously? Can litchi control the camera? Just some basic information on how these apps are used with/instead of dji go would be nice.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: R2-D2
Litchi and other 3rd party apps are an alternative to DJI GO. You do not run both at the same time. For more information about what Litchi can do, check out their website.

Litchi and other 3rd party apps are an alternative to DJI GO. You do not run both at the same time. For more information about what Litchi can do, check out their website.

I am in the same position as the OP.

However, I already looked into the Litchi iOS Apps such as the main App and Magic Leash, but as there are no ratings / reviews for the App's (at least not on the UK store), there is no way of knowing how they perform in comparison to the DJI.

Also, if you have a control issue [using Litchi etc] causing damage etc, I would be unsure that DJI would take responsibility if using a unofficial App.

Do you have any feedback / experience with the above?

I am in the same position as the OP.

However, I already looked into the Litchi iOS Apps such as the main App and Magic Leash, but as there are no ratings / reviews for the App's (at least not on the UK store), there is no way of knowing how they perform in comparison to the DJI.

Also, if you have a control issue [using Litchi etc] causing damage etc, I would be unsure that DJI would take responsibility if using a unofficial App.

Do you have any feedback / experience with the above?

Yes, read/research more before asking potentially redundant questions.

Don't want to mean, but this has been discussed at length.

For iOS, Litchi has only recently released their version for that and it is much inferior to the Android version (by design)... I use the Android version and it is far SUPERIOR to the DJI GO app for use of the intelligent flight modes.

Since it uses the DJI SDK for controlling the aircraft (beyond what RC does directly), there is no option for DJI to try and transfer liability or deny claims due to warrantied product failures... it is NOT an unofficial app... they are quite official in using the SDK and product API as are many others regardless of OS used.

Reactions: romi and JBG
Litchi is a nice app. You can do things with it like (laying out way points prior to flight) that DJI Go doesn't do. Litho does pretty much everything except a few things like small tweets in settings and controls.
I now only use DJI Go about 5%, Litchi about 80% and Ultimate Flight 15%.
I'm learning Ultimate Flight.

Sticks and stones. :p

Forums are for asking questions even dumb ones. I am a 'noob' so not going to beat myself up.

Thanks for the advice and re-direction though.

Hence why I'm not trying to be mean.

It's just that redundant questions reduce the signal to noise ratio for everyone on the forum.

I firmly believe in the "there are no dumb questions", just redundant ones.

if you have a control issue [using Litchi etc] causing damage etc, I would be unsure that DJI would take responsibility if using a unofficial App.
Correct. A lot of people use Litchi and I haven't seen anyone crash due to an issue with Litchi. Considering that you fly with your RC, you should be able to shut down Litchi and fly back manually if you run into any trouble.

Reactions: Flyer and JBG
You can do things with it like (laying out way points prior to flight) that DJI Go doesn't
Other than waypoints, is there anything else you prefer about Litchi?

Other than waypoints, is there anything else you prefer about Litchi?
Waypoints prior to flight is a big one because, I don't need to use battery to create a mission. (Although there has been a few times I needed to actually fly it due to not knowing building heights, etc)

Litchi I think is easier to set a POi.

I also like the ability to customize buttons for different settings.

I use the Litchi app. Like you I wasn't sure on why I would change from the dji go app but when I started to play around with Litchi things seem to be made more user friendly and like above mentioned the setting way points prior to flight makes a more enjoyable flight of focusing on video and photography. You can even pretty program the starting and stop of video and pics. Panoramic presets and one can't forget the Litchi leash takes it to another level.

Reactions: aka1ceman
and litchi has dynamic homepoint, something very useful if you want to fly from a boat. It has become my primary app. Now you can even set up your flights on your computer (like say when you are at work) and load the mission flight to your tablet.

How about throing Autopilot (iOS only) into the mix of discussion?

Autopilot vs. Lichi vs. Ultimate Flight vs. DJI Go?

I am currently learning Autopilot, it's pretty powerful but with some kinks (or maybe just me learning). Has a bit of learning curve.

Out of curiosity with litchi and the latest firmware on the p3p are we still limited to 500m for height?

For iOS, Litchi has only recently released their version for that and it is much inferior to the Android version (by design)... I use the Android version and it is far SUPERIOR to the DJI GO app for use of the intelligent flight modes.

Since it uses the DJI SDK for controlling the aircraft (beyond what RC does directly), there is no option for DJI to try and transfer liability or deny claims due to warrantied product failures... it is NOT an unofficial app... they are quite official in using the SDK and product API as are many others regardless of OS used.

Have you flown your bird near the Labadie power station?

Wait so can you control the camera as well with litchi? Like dji go?

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Still a new comer here, but have done a lot of looking and playing with litchi and find it to be very intuitive to use. Does most everything that DJI GO does, but presents some of the DJI GO features in different ways, some that I find more intuitive than DJI GO. Here is just one example of what I mean using Litchi. When in FPV mode, where you are flying manually under GPS control, on the screen are touch spots for "Course Lock" and "Home Lock".
With DJI GO you must first bring up a menu, and then you can select CL or HL, then close the menu. To me, that takes more time in DJI GO, and you are not watching your "flying" as closely as you could be during that time.
I have not flown with Litchi, as of yet, but it certainly is getting a lot of raves from those users who have converted to using it. I do think it is well worth the $20 it costs, and you get lifetime updates for that price as well. They have just recently come out with the same product for IOS users too.
GR

Out of curiosity with litchi and the latest firmware on the p3p are we still limited to 500m for height?
yes. you have to use older Litchi as well as older FW.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31