Don't own an iOS or Android device for new Vision, options?

Reaction score
I simply don 't want to use my huge iPad 4 with my new Phantom 2 Vision which will shortly be arriving in the post. What are the best value options if I want to buy a device to use and mount to remote transmitter that is completely compatible and performs well with the DJI Vision app? What is a cheap option, and a mid-range option?

Re: Don't own an iOS or Android device for new Vision, optio

Second hand cheap phone Samsung S2 will work well. No need to put sim card in it.

paulajayne said:
Second hand cheap phone Samsung S2 will work well. No need to put sim card in it.

Thank you, I prefer a bigger screen though so a tablet with say a 7" screen would be preferable. Will certainly look into the S2.

Almost any android tablet running kitkat 4.4. will work, You need real GPS and Wifi on the tablet.

I Have a Nexus 7 (2013) Wifi only tablet. Apps may need to be sideloaded. but it works just fine.
Once your all setup (at home)...the only thing you need possibly would be internet for when out flying just for updateing Waypoint maps and the "Find my Phantom" feature to work properly. In those circumstances I Hotspot my S3 to do the updates to my tablet

RCRookie said:
Almost any android tablet running kitkat 4.4. will work, You need real GPS and Wifi on the tablet.

I Have a Nexus 7 (2013) Wifi only tablet. Apps may need to be sideloaded. but it works just fine.
Once your all setup (at home)...the only thing you need possibly would be internet for when out flying just for updateing Waypoint maps and the "Find my Phantom" feature to work properly. In those circumstances I Hotspot my S3 to do the updates to my tablet

+1

RCRookie said:

Thanks, what do you mean though by "apps may need to be side loaded"?

some Apps from the Google Play store, may not recognize the device you are attempting to d/l the app to...as "a compatible device".

In this case (with DJI) download the app via their website and find the file in the downloads folder to install it.

Why do I need GPS on the tablet (or phone)?

freefall101 said:

There are a couple of features that use the phones GPS. Like RTH. It can be set to mark its location when it lifts off. Or use the dynamic feature that sends the Phantom to the phones location (sort of a makeshift, "follow me" function). Also the the directional pointer in the little radar (left lower corner of the app) uses your phones GPS relative position. Most phones and tablets have GPS functions preinstalled.

I assume you could get by without it. Just one less feature.

RCRookie said:
freefall101 said:

There are a couple of features that use the phones GPS. Like RTH. It can be set to mark its location when it lifts off. Or use the dynamic feature that sends the Phantom to the phones location (sort of a makeshift, "follow me" function). Also the the directional pointer in the little radar (left lower corner of the app) uses your phones GPS relative position. Most phones and tablets have GPS functions preinstalled.

I assume you could get by without it. Just one less feature.
Thank you, I think I understand, now I'd rather get something with GPS and there aren't many tablets with full GPS built in. As you said the Nexus 7 is one of them, wish I had bought one while I was in the US over Christmas, it would have saved me a bit of money. How much did you pay for yours? Do you know of any other tablets with full GPS and wifi at a similar or cheaper price point?

I just got an asus 7 inch thats got real gps and every thing works great on the vision including the ground station and all that extra stuff. for $118 shipped from amazon.
and I was also able to make the regular phone holder clip thing work as a holder for it to so I dont need a big clumsy monitor holder. Tho I did have to heat up and bent the ends of the jaws a bit so it can open wide enough and also hooked the tips more so they grab real securely.

J.James said:
I just got an asus 7 inch thats got real gps and every thing works great on the vision including the ground station and all that extra stuff. for $118 shipped from amazon.
and I was also able to make the regular phone holder clip thing work as a holder for it to so I dont need a big clumsy monitor holder. Tho I did have to heat up and bent the ends of the jaws a bit so it can open wide enough and also hooked the tips more so they grab real securely.

Sounds great, can you provide the model number of your tablet or even better a link to the Amazon page?

Asus makes the Nexus in collaboration with Google, so it may be almost identical to the Nexus 7. Pay particular attention to the year of the tablet....They're still selling the 2012 models on Amazon.

The Nexus 7 (2013), 16 or 32 gigabyte models are both acceptable. I cannot speak to the 2012 models. It seems the price has increased since last March when I purchased mine.

Nearly any Android tablet running Kitkat 4.4 would likely work. You'll want it to be Wifi and GPS (with a real sensor) not "cell tower triangulation"... as is the case, with some of the newer tablets.

20140427_093942.jpg

the one I got was an "asus memo pad 7 inch tablet - 16gb" I just checked and I was wrong about the $118 that was the total I paid with a case and some other things i got on the same order from amazon. But the vendor I got mine from dont have them listed any more and are out of stock But there are a few others listed that have them for about $90 for black ones. Tho the one I got was white and for some reason they seem to cost a few dollars more from what I'm seeing right now.

J.James said:
the one I got was an "asus memo pad 7 inch tablet - 16gb" I just checked and I was wrong about the $118 that was the total I paid with a case and some other things i got on the same order from amazon. But the vendor I got mine from dont have them listed any more and are out of stock But there are a few others listed that have them for about $90 for black ones. Tho the one I got was white and for some reason they seem to cost a few dollars more from what I'm seeing right now.

Excellent....As long as all the features work and your happy with screen size...then all is good.

On a side note...I got my new transmitter and RE700 working...i'll need to go test it for range and control just as soon as the weather improves. :cool:

I was wondering why you do not want to get a newer version vision plus ? any considerations?

Although the Plus is newer, i only purchased my Vision last March, i also purchased the Rotorpixel gimbal so trying to sell all of that.... Just to gain a third axis is not practical.

The Rotorpixel is supposed to be releasing a third axis upgrade. So i shall stick with the P2 Vision for now.

The Plus offers no other benefit over the P2V than a third axis.
Additionally, the P2V camera paired with the Rotorpixel is a much more robust design.

Any upgrade in the future, will likely be to the Inspire 1, or one of its future iterations.

The Rookie

I use an older Nexus 7 (1st Generation.) I picked it up on Craigslist for $60. It doesn't have GPS but the Phantom does.

Do they have Craigslist (or similar bulletin board site) in your country?

2 features wont work without GPS on your phone or tablet.

Dynamic RTH and your radar in the lower left corner. No big deal on either really.

Hello there pilots!

Ive been trying to get my LG G3 to pair up with the DJI APP and all I get is a temp connection followed by an immediate rejection. Not unlike some dates I have had in the past. :lol: I did all of the Youtube suggestions and the GOOGLE "do this and that's" and it just won't play nice. Anyway...after some extensive reading I went shopping for the Nexus 7 and found a used one on Amazon with a coupon code. Out the door price $80.00. Hopefully this will get me in the air soon weather permitting. I think that there's enough info on this thread to get me up and running. I'll check the Nexus version but I'm fairly sure that it's a 2013/14. I'll worry about the mounting once I get it working. Wish me luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj