Don't negotiate with drone that's trying to sort out gps

Reaction score
Lost my uav to a nasty accident. Took up, Semi breezy. Not overly so I thought. Bird started straying from fixed position trying to find a gps goldilocks spot, I panicked and hit the assent button thinking that it would start climbing instead of straying trying to sort out some gps issues it was having. And the command I gave caused it to accelerate incredibly fast in a horizontal direction. Overshot whatever gps position it was aiming for and never regained stability, Turned all that energy into going horizontal surely thought neighbors window was hit. Calmly walked back 2 houses down. Ready to blame kids and commit to damages. Folks were't home. It hit the trunk of a tree. Battery out and ripped camera off, squashed a 2.4 aftermarket antenna. :((. I picked up my victim and draped jacket over it and walked back home. Could have been much worse. (Should have immedietly turned off gps by bringing left button to middle position and landing). This is a perfect time to upgrade to phantom vision 2 +. No tears ,the drone gave me many hours of happy time.
It still flies but acts like it was on non gps mode (strays heavily). My buddy wants the brushless motors

On the contrary, it sounds like you might want to rethink buying the Vision +, at least for now :roll:

Summary. No "up" command is adhered to if drone is working on gps. It will channel energy into both and overmodulate the vertical, Had this bird for three months. Went three miles out with it. What a rush. Kept it under 400' and watched it with binoculars to stay within the law. ;)

Perhaps you right. this could be cause from my compass being perverted by a 2.4 mod antenna that was in too close proximity to compass. Perhaps. Recently added them. I did fly succesfull thereafter though. One never knows

Petros5678 said:
Perhaps you right. this could be cause from my compass being perverted by a 2.4 mod antenna that was in too close proximity to compass. Perhaps. Recently added them. I did fly succesfull thereafter though. One never knows

Among other reasons...
ALWAYS perform compass compensation after any additions, subtractions, or repositioning of components and equipment in or on the quad.

Re: Odp: Don't negotiate with drone that's trying to sort ou

Petros5678 said:
Convince me

Well, my thinking is, that if you panic like that and crash for no real reason, then maybe you'd be better of to practice on something cheaper first and then buy vision plus...

If it wasn't for me practicing on Hubsan x4 before buying vision, I wouldn't have learned the proper reflexes and reactions

Yes, really, I would like to see that mod also. :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20