Dont fly around transmitters. My first crash

I don't think many people would try that

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeh not around a transmitter logic prevails

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What's happened? Don't seems that the bird is free falling down...you loose control or what?

Yes - Drone Camps RC posted on youtube quite a while back that you don't want to get too close to a transmitter because the data within the micro computer in the bird can get "scrambled."

Thanks for posting.

Yes - Drone Camps RC posted on youtube quite a while back that you don't want to get too close to a transmitter because the data within the micro computer in the bird can get "scrambled."

Thanks for posting.

Yes, flying that close, the amplitude of the transmitter is so high that it acts basically like an EMP. No way to filter it out. Phantom thought you were still climbing and was trying to prevent an over-altitude so your left stick up had no effect. I've not run into this situation but I assume changing to Atti won't help since it still thinks you are over max altitude?

Mike

I can see why you had a crack, great sibject and awesome footage. Sorry about your loss. For interest sake what can you tell us about the transmitter?

Aircraft electronics is not shielded at all. Its behavior is unpredictable when exposed to high RF.

I do fly around transmitters, but in safe distance :)
this is fomer BARS comm node bunker, troposcatter comm network of Warsaw pact, equal of NATO's Ace's High network,
see wiki for more details
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was that microwave on the side? I would not fly in front of that.

Dirty bird has a video of flying his P2 very close to the top of a cell tower and nothing happened.

Personally, I am staying away.

Reactions: alokbhargava
ouch! ... thanks for the info. I have considered getting footage of two local transmitters but after seeing that I'll keep more distance. Is 50 or 100 meters enough to keep the AC safe??

Was that microwave on the side? I would not fly in front of that.

Dirty bird has a video of flying his P2 very close to the top of a cell tower and nothing happened.

Personally, I am staying away.

Exactly. Cell towers should mostly be fine as the power density is low unless they are using microwave for back haul. Radio/TV transmission towers, possibly running at thousands of kW, directional microwave links, or radar installations are a quite different proposition - those may fry the avionics and/or radio circuits.

I have a 400ft tower at one of my regular spots. On 2 occasions I've had it switch to ATTI on it's own and rocket across the sky. Each time was right after takeoff. I think it is a matter of being within the direct beam of the antenna. I suspect some of the antennas on the tower I'm talking about to be highly directional and when I cross it's path things go wonky for a few short seconds. I usually take off and head far out but sometimes I loiter near the launch area to run a battery down. Haven't been able to replicate it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic