Donating photos to nonprofits?

Reaction score
If a Phantom owner has no FAA paperwork but is flying legally, respectfully, and safely at a nonprofit (IRS 501(c)(3)) event with the permission of the organizers -- is it OK to donate the photos to the organization for publication on their website and brochure?

And what about letting them have an occasional framed photo at a silent auction for their $$$ gain, but no one else gets a penny?

If a Phantom owner has no FAA paperwork but is flying legally, respectfully, and safely at a nonprofit (IRS 501(c)(3)) event with the permission of the organizers -- is it OK to donate the photos to the organization for publication on their website and brochure?

And what about letting them have an occasional framed photo at a silent auction for their $$$ gain, but no one else gets a penny?

Check with your local FSDO office. They might be able to tell you if your too worried about the legalities. I would get it in writing to avoid any future issues if they say you can.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I wouldn't hesitate doing that. The press sure does have people worried about these non-issues.

I wouldn't hesitate doing that. The press sure does have people worried about these non-issues.
Appreciate the reply! It's not the press at all, or my fearfulness. I generally wouldn't have given it a thought, either. But there are so many divergent threads about the 333 issue here, I just thought I'd see what folks say. I realize that they're mostly concerned with the big-fish full-time photographers and realtors (etc.) who want to do it professionally full time.

i dunno the answer, but i think giving some pics or video to a church would not be of interest to the FAA.

i could be wrong however...

Reactions: bad karma
I know realtors that use drones for their work. No "333" or whatever... no problem. I'll be sure and post about it once they are BUSTED. Highly unlikely. Only people on this site have even heard of a '333'... nobody on the street would EVER care to ask or care. (unless it is somebody on this site who will inevitably say, 'yes, there is somebody that will care and you are risking your LIFE.')

In general, flying where the exchange of money is involved without a 333 is only an issue for the pilot if the pilot gets caught. And in general, the pilot will only get caught if someone files a complaint. If you're flying for a charity, who is going to file a complaint?

I'm not recommending that you do it. I'm not recommending that you don't. Talking to someone at your local FSDO probably wouldn't be a bad idea, although I suspect most FSDO agents are getting pretty sick and tired about now of not being paid any more money but having to handle the additional workload of umpteen phantom owners calling every week with these sorts of questions. Just some food for thought.

If you're flying as a hobbyist and following "Safe" guidelines and you truly "Donate" the images then you are in the clear. So long as you are not being compensated in any way they can use the images as they see fit.

Now if they request you take the images for them and their intent is to "Sell" the images you would be operating in some grey area but then again only if someone complains.

For the record I do a lot of "free" work for non-profits, Law Enforcement, and EMS here locally. I charge them nothing and once I turn over the images they are free to do with them as they desire. The "intent" is a large portion of how "wrong" it is or not.

Many Realtors won't even discuss using images if you don't have Section 333 in your portfolio simply because the NAR initially mandated this to them and then reiterated it as a "suggestion" just a few months ago. There are some that don't care and are going forward but I suspect eventually some jealous Realtor might "complain" and they don't like getting negative exposure. They are a very "Social" group to say the least. Also at one time it was mentioned (but I believe dropped for logistic reasons) that MLS would require any images going into their system from a UAS be done via Section 333 exempted pilots operating within those rules. Like I said I believe that fell off the table almost as quickly as it was brought up but still food for thought.

Reactions: Airborne
thanks for the info BigAl

Everything is truly donated. They asked about the possibility of using a couple of shots for a fundraising silent auction long after the photos were in their possession. There are no ongoing sales.

It all makes sense. Thank you, BigA!

i dunno the answer, but i think giving some pics or video to a church would not be of interest to the FAA.

i could be wrong however...

I give people the photos all the time and do not charge for them. I just ask them to not identify me as the pilot (just in case they use it on a website or something)

Reactions: Airborne
I give people the photos all the time and do not charge for them. I just ask them to not identify me as the pilot (just in case they use it on a website or something)

makes sense

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj