Donate Footage to a Company/Organization Legal?

Reaction score
As a hobbyist, am I legally okay to shoot footage and give it free of charge (100% donate) to an organization (non-profit) that I believe in for them to use? The organization would, in turn, make money from the project (not solely the footage) that the drone footage was used in. To be clear, I would receive no compensation or even credit for the time/footage. Thanks!

Not if the intent of the flight was to take footage to give to them!! Several threads on the forum of people trying to get around the Part 107 regulations. Bottom line is that you are flying as a hobby strictly for your own enjoyment or you are 107 - no grey areas. Several have had similar altruistic ides, but it just doesn't fly (Pun intended).

Well, I guess it's time to buck up, study, and get a remote pilot certificate! Even if it's just for a few shots a year... or I may as well start a side business.

As a hobbyist, am I legally okay to shoot footage and give it free of charge (100% donate) to an organization (non-profit) that I believe in for them to use? The organization would, in turn, make money from the project (not solely the footage) that the drone footage was used in. To be clear, I would receive no compensation or even credit for the time/footage. Thanks!
It be be illegal whether you get paid or not. The rules are clear.

Where are you located?
I'd donate time.

You also need to realise that you are also taking work from those that studied and paid for their license to be able to do commercial work.

You also need to realise that you are also taking work from those that studied and paid for their license to be able to do commercial work.
That is probably the least persuasive argument that i have seen on the whole hobby vs commercial thing. Next thing we well have carpenters complaining about Habitat for Humanity ,

That is probably the least persuasive argument that i have seen on the whole hobby vs commercial thing. Next thing we well have carpenters complaining about Habitat for Humanity ,
Its very valid. I dont know what sort of work you do but I think you wouldn't like it if people started doing your job for free, leaving you having to look for another job.. Oh... and lets say they are unlicensed too, and your job requires learning a trade.
I remember years ago where the local sporting groups would go out on the weekends and help with projects on the local farms. The farmers needed up sacking their workers. it was better to get the sporting group as it was cheaper and they could get the large projects like sheep shearing done in a matter of days rather than a few weeks.

From the one experience that I had with them, Habitat for Humanity was a junk show that used free labor, (albeit well meaning), to build substandard houses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Habitat for humanity is a junk show that uses free labor to build substandard houses. They bypass local codes, snub licensed contractors, and perform illegal installations, including electrical and plumbing, using unqualified personnel.
Ok, but in our country they would have to pull them down again. The government wouldn't allow that. I see people build tiny houses there and put them on a block of land. We cant do that here. we are not even allowed to live in them in someones back yard.

Ok, but in our country they would have to pull them down again. The government wouldn't allow that. I see people build tiny houses there and put them on a block of land. We cant do that here. we are not even allowed to live in them in someones back yard.
As it should be. We've spent over 100 years developing codes to ensure safety from fire, structural, and sanitation issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very valid. I dont know what sort of work you do but I think you wouldn't like it if people started doing your job for free, leaving you having to look for another job.. Oh... and lets say they are unlicensed too, and your job requires learning a trade.
I remember years ago where the local sporting groups would go out on the weekends and help with projects on the local farms. The farmers needed up sacking their workers. it was better to get the sporting group as it was cheaper and they could get the large projects like sheep shearing done in a matter of days rather than a few weeks.
So one person doing charity work is going to put you out of business? You need to find a better business model.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1