Doing Due Diligence

OWV

Reaction score
I have decided to buy a quad copter. I already have a GoPro which I would like to mount in an aerial gimbal. I went to a shop today that sold Phantoms and the Horizon QX3. The shop was very high on the QX3. Almost everyone in the shop who flies quad copters prefers the QX3 over the Phantom. I would appreciate any thoughts you folks might have that might help me with my decision. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
OWV

Does the Horizon QX3 have a gimbal for the GoPro or just a gimbal/camera combo?
The flight time looks just a bit less than the Phantom 2.
What about FPV? How easy is it to set up with the Horizon QX3?

I believe that these are the Key Features of the Horizon QX3.
GoPro-ready right out of the box (GoPro camera not included)
Compatible with 5+ Channel Spektrum™ DSM2®/DSMX® transmitters
Easy to fly – no experience necessary
15 minute flight time
Mast-mounted GPS antenna for improved GPS performance
Advanced SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) Technology
Smart Flight Mode – SAFE Circle™ barrier, stick relative control response and GPS/Altitude hold
AP Flight Mode – faster panning and tracking response with GPS/Altitude hold
Return Home function – aircraft returns to start up point and lands on its own
GoPro compatible camera mount
Optional Blade® CGO2 GB 3-Axis stabilized HD camera available separately
E-flite® 3000mAh 11.1V Li-Po Flight Battery
E-flite DC Li-Po Battery Charger with AC Adapter
Four AA Transmitter Batteries

Wonder if their profit margins are greater with the QX3.

my perceptin is that the QX3 is a little more "sporty" and a bit faster. Not sure if this is actually true. I have heard that the propellers are aggravating to use.

I've reached 29 MPH on my Phantom 2. I'm happy with that.

dptcalvin said:
I've reached 29 MPH on my Phantom 2. I'm happy with that.

I've reached 70 MPH... while the phantom was in my car... on the way to a flying field :lol:

Yeah.. aside from getting to a camera position quicker - I am not sure why speed would be a big factor in deciding on a bird. Sure with CP heli's doing 3D flying, speed (and response) is a big deal - but I view phantoms as more of a refined flight vehicle where stability is the goal.

OWV said:
I have decided to buy a quad copter. I already have a GoPro which I would like to mount in an aerial gimbal. I went to a shop today that sold Phantoms and the Horizon QX3. The shop was very high on the QX3. Almost everyone in the shop who flies quad copters prefers the QX3 over the Phantom. I would appreciate any thoughts you folks might have that might help me with my decision. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
OWV

I have 3 GoPro cameras. When I decided to get drone, I started looking for one that could utilize GoPro. What I ultimately found was that it was easier and more functional to skip the GoPro and go with the Vision Plus. Video isn't quite as good and I don't have the option of 4K, but as an initial foray into drone photography IMHO the Vision Plus makes by far the most sense as an integrated and tested system. I can't tell you anything about the QX3. I discarded it as a possibility early in my investigation because the Phantom is pretty much the industry standard right now and has by far the biggest and most broad-based infrastructure. In the 40-or-so flights with the Vision Plus, I have no reason to regret that purchase decision over the Blade.

I have both and to be honest the QX is no where near the built quality of the Phantom. It works well, but the camera for one is on the same level as the Walkera products...Chineese made. It seems cheaper than the P2 but I fly my P2 mostly the QX is parket and I might even get rid of it. Never had issues with my P2 but had a few issues with the Qx initially regarding gimbal setup.. It was a bit of a guessing game. P2 was kinda plug and play... Just worked... If youre a Noob at this go with DJI

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik