Does Zenmuse remove jello effect?

Reaction score
I shot some go pro footage for the first time using the Aerial Media Pros Anti-Vibration kit... and it was a windy day. Got jello effect. But I also shot indoors and there was no jello.. Why is this?? DOes this mean it was because of the wind only maybe??

Also - I'll be getting the upgrade kit for the zenmuse gimbal this week and will be installing the gimbal. Does anyone know if the gimbal itself will remove any jello or should I look into this jello problem as a separate issue?

-Frank

Jello is a function of more than just vibration. There is also an effect of increased jello with higher shutter speed. This effect relates to the way the image for each video frame is captured using the CMOS sensor in the GoPro. Lacking a variable aperture, GoPro controls exposure by changing effective shutter speed. Faster shutter speed --> more potential jello. Jello is less likely indoors because the effective shutter speed is much lower to allow sufficient light to be captured for each video frame. This is also why some like to use polarizing or neutral density filters ober the GoPro lens, they reduce light and therefore cause the GoPro to use lower effective shutter speeds. Unfortunately, the Zenmuse H3-2D is very sensitive to balance and adding filters can cause problems.

Just like Phantoms with a non-gimbal mounted GoPro, addition of vibration dampers between the Phantom hard mount and the GoPro can reduce Jello. The pitch and roll stabilization of the gimbal itself does not affect jello, jello is based on higher frequency effects. The gimbal's motors stabilize the pointing of the GoPro despite the Phantom's pitching and rolling.

For best results, balance props and even motor bells to reduce vibration at their primary source. The Zen has 3 sets of vibration dampers (white, grey, black in order of *increasing* stiffness) you can choose among to further isolate the GoPro from vibration. It appears that these measures are ofter sufficient to produce jello-free quality footage, though we don't see everyone's outtakes...

Steve

frankieplus said:
I shot some go pro footage for the first time using the Aerial Media Pros Anti-Vibration kit... and it was a windy day. Got jello effect. But I also shot indoors and there was no jello.. Why is this?? DOes this mean it was because of the wind only maybe??

Also - I'll be getting the upgrade kit for the zenmuse gimbal this week and will be installing the gimbal. Does anyone know if the gimbal itself will remove any jello or should I look into this jello problem as a separate issue?

-Frank

deluge2 said:
For best results, balance props and even motor bells to reduce vibration at their primary source. The Zen has 3 sets of vibration dampers (white, grey, black in order of stiffness) you can choose among to further isolate the GoPro from vibration.

Order of stiffness? So which is the least stiff.. Is it White?

frankieplus said:
deluge2 said:
For best results, balance props and even motor bells to reduce vibration at their primary source. The Zen has 3 sets of vibration dampers (white, grey, black in order of stiffness) you can choose among to further isolate the GoPro from vibration.

White is softest, then grey, and then black is the stiffest. But don't automatically assume that softer means more damping effect. Jello is a "resonance" effect cause by shutter speed and frame vibration sharing harmonics, so the damper that is most effective in a given case isn't necessarily the softest. Most of us I think are using the stiffest (black) dampers on the Phantom and it's working fine. I have zero jello in bright sunlight using the black dampers and balanced stock props.

MrMediaGuy said:
frankieplus said:
deluge2 said:
White is softest, then grey, and then black is the stiffest. But don't automatically assume that softer means more damping effect.

You must be a mind reader because that's exactly what I was thinking. Softest = most dampened = the least jello..

Thanks for clarifying. I'll just use the black.

-Frank

Oops, my bad, edited original to specify increasing stiffness...

Steve
frankieplus said:
deluge2 said:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1