Does your motor rpm go up and down when the drone is moved?

Reaction score
I'm asking this cuz I need to know if there is something wrong with my drone, or if it's just totally something that is normal and I may have just never noticed it before..

When I started my props the other day, I noticed the rpm would go up slightly after the initial motor start up.. It sounded as tho the rpm slowly came up, then slowly came back down again as the drone was just sitting there not being touched ... I flew it and the flight went well.. Just tonight I started it again.. And the rpm was low.. Normal.. Then again I thought I could hear it slightly increase and stayed slightly increased, so I touched the drone with my hands, touched it very low on the landing gear (my arms and hands away from the props) and the rpm went back down.. I thought hm that's weird..

So I decided to actually tip the drone slightly in one direction or the other, And as I did this.. Just like when the drone is in the air, two props would increase in speed to try and "level" itself out.. But I never noticed this before.. So I'm assuming the reason I was hearing the motor rpm go up slightly or down slightly was cuz the drone was possibly picking up the sense that it wasn't totally level? So it adjusts motor speed as if it was in the air to try and level it's self?

Shouldn't this only happen if the drone is actually flying tho? Or does the drone do this no Matter what, as long as the motors are fired up, no matter whether it's on the ground or in the air..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All sombody needs to do to make me feel better about it is turn on their remote control, and then their drone, after its powerd up then fire up the motors.. Once the motors do their little initial "vroom vroom" thing and the idle comes back down.. Tip the drone with your hands by the landing gear in either directions and tell me if your motor rpms increase and decrease.. If they don't, then I have an issue with mine, if they do, then mine is most likely just fine and it's just gotta be something I have never noticed before..

And PLEASE watch out for the props! DO not let your hands or arms touch them while spinning , I don't want anyone blaming me for them cutting themselves after trying this lol

Of course it does. That is the IMU trying to keep it level while you tip it. If it is in P mode and you have GPS lock it will also change rpm trying to keep itself in place if you move it.
Perfectly normal.

But it's normal even if it's not In the air and all I did was start the motors? I'm just making sure cuz I guess I just never noticed that before.. I mean it makes sense why it would do that. I wasn't question why, was just questioning if it was normal for it to do that while it was still just sitting on the ground. And I guess it just worried me cuz I bearly touched it and I could hear the motors change rpm lol. so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something loose with the circuitry or something .

Thanks! This makes me feel much more at ease

If motors are with props, phantom tries to set the correct speeds of each of the motors so that it can fly up straight even from an unleveled surface without tipping. That's one of the reasons to calibrate IMU on a perfect leveled surface.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Lmao, rule #1, do not tip it in your direction.. He shoulda been tipping the drone from the opposite side of where he was standing so worst case it would not go toward him but away from him lol. Rule #2 don't don't finger bang your drone near buildings or objects! Lol.

Thanks for all your help guys. Makes me feel much better, like I said I understood why the drone was doing what it did, I just wasn't sure if it was suppose to do that when on the ground.. Thought maybe the sensors knowing it was grounded would tell the drone and thus being that the drone shouldn't do that unless it's in the air.. That was my logic anyway.. Lol..

That vid was cool. Actually what's also pretty cool is if you have the drone grounded and just pick up on say the right side of it.. Pick straight up, the left or opposite side of the motors will increase speed to the point to where it will hover in place as you hold onto the one end and you can actually drag it around that way too lol. (Also highly un-recommended) lol. I noticed that last night when I was trying to figure out exactly what and why it was doing that when grounded. Well thanks to you now I know.

Makes sense cuz if the drone is placed on a slope, the one side will increase speeds even before take off, thus giving you a perfectly straight start/take off, vs the drone just headed violently in one direction

Btw.. That crash noise will always stick with a person.. Even tho it's not my own drone; just hearing that "WACK" brings me chills. Although it never stops me from watching more crash videos lol. It's just an un-mistakable sound when a drone crashes. is it not? Lol

Why do people always do things like this in a very confined area? And why do they keep doing it over and over?

Don't ask me, Iv only done it once. Also, a confined area is what makes it risky or fun, or thrilling to most ppl, not to mention close range is where you get some of the coolest looking fpv/video recorded haha.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4