Does your Futaba Tx EAT batteries????

Reaction score
My Futaba T8J transmitter goes through Duracell batteries like they're going out of style! Jeez!! I get about 20 flights and then a low battery alarm and have to swap 'em out and use them in less critical applications, where they continue to function fine for months. I put the last batch of four in my Phantom transmitter, and after a couple of months when THAT transmitter alarms, I put them in the transmitter for my Syma X-1. What s the deal with the Futaba???

And yes, my battery option in the Tx is properly set up...that was the first thing I checked. Is it just a NORMAL thing to have the batteries run down after so few flights?

PF

PF, I think you may get a lot more Futaba experience on another board (RCG ?) with regard to characteristics. I am thinking of getting a Futaba, mostly for future models, so I am always interested in info on them.

I used to fly Futaba radios exclusively back in the day (gulp, almost 25 years ago). :oops:

Never had a transmitter eat batteries like this one, but then again I had rechargeable NiCad's as power source for both Tx and Rx. Maybe the power output is higher, and consequently, eats more battery juice?? I'll do what you say and nip on over to that forum seeking an answer. Meanwhile, if anyone who owns a T8J cares to comment...

PF

The good news is that your TX isn't faulty PF. Just not set up correctly.

You will likely have it set up with the wrong cell count. I did this and had the same problem. Basically your settings are making it think you have a 5 cell pack which has a higher voltage than a 4cell pack that you are using and hence a warning sounds within 20-30 mins use.

Go to the Parameter menu and change the Battery type:

Page 33 of the Manual: http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8j-manual.pdf

4 batts will last you maybe 3 weeks+ now or by the LifePo4 Turnigy from hobby king. Fits like a glove but you need to charge it in LifePo mode not Lipo.... lasts forever and means you can keep the AA's as spare in your box.

IMG_1564.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... mAh%202S1P

DeweyAXD said:
The good news is that your TX isn't faulty PF. Just not set up correctly.

You will likely have it set up with the wrong cell count. I did this and had the same problem. Basically your settings are making it think you have a 5 cell pack which has a higher voltage than a 4cell pack that you are using and hence a warning sounds within 20-30 mins use.

No...that's not it. It is properly set at 4 cell dry-type. :cry:

Just now I lowered the time for the LCD display to 15 seconds from 20, and lowered the brightness and contrast. I've done everything I can think of. The battery you suggest is an interesting alternative if I can't run this down without making some kind of move like that.

Here's the thing, though. I have a highly accurate digital multimeter tells me there's 1.44 volts left in each battery I'm presently using. That's 5.76 volts...but the LCD screen says only 5.0 volts!!! That's a significant discrepancy!

PF

I haven't had my Futaba T8j for very long but I've gone through 2 sets of batteries. I just checked and the last set still reads 5.14 volts. My Parameter settings are correct. How low of a voltage can the Futaba supposedly tolerate?

PhantomFan said:
No...that's not it. It is properly set at 4 cell dry-type. :cry:

Just now I lowered the time for the LCD display to 15 seconds from 20, and lowered the brightness and contrast. I've done everything I can think of. The battery you suggest is an interesting alternative if I can't run this down without making some kind of move like that.

Here's the thing, though. I have a highly accurate digital multimeter tells me there's 1.44 volts left in each battery I'm presently using. That's 5.76 volts...but the LCD screen says only 5.0 volts!!! That's a significant discrepancy!

PF

IIRC, my non-optional alarm voltage was ~4.8 volts. I'm getting pretty close to that on my FOURTH set of Duracell's so it won't be long (maybe 1 or 2 more 8 minute flights) before I'll be able to say with authority. Meanwhile, I sent an e-mail to Futaba's tech support...but the last time I sent them an e-mail (seeking center-stick parts for my throttle) it bounced.

If they have a solution, I'll let you know. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a rechargeable Tx pack. I can't keep swapping out 4 perfectly good batteries at a time every week.

PF

PhantomFan said:

PF

Odd.
I use Tennergy rechargeable AA's (purchased from http://www.all-battery.com), both the premium and non-premium batteries.
I use the lower timer as well to see how much time I get on them, they never read more than 5v in the Tx monitor, and regularly drop to 4.7 or even less.
I get around 12 hours per 4-pack, stock settings too. (good for many, many days of flying and testing)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik