Does this motor area crack need to be repaired?

nil

Reaction score
My P3A has 34 flights under her belt and I noticed this crack from the navigation light to one of the motor screws after flight #34. I drew red sharpie lines on either side so I can make sure to keep inspecting it. I can also feel it if I run a nail over it.

Is this something I need to repair (quickly)? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 586
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Reactions: mmee1992
My P3A has 34 flights under her belt and I noticed this crack from the navigation light to one of the motor screws after flight #33. I drew red sharpie lines on either side so I can make sure to keep inspecting it. I can also feel it if I run a nail over it.

Thanks.
If the aircraft is still under warranty DJI will repair it for free if you send it in to them. I just swapped my shell and it wasn't too hard just very time consuming.

Yes they need to be repaired. Easy way is to use plastic adhesive like Plast Aid or alternately buy a new shell and replace. Replacement is not easy but not impossible. You can get a support from DJI service.

I'm no expert, but I'd say no. It's between two holes, so it won't grow anymore.

That's at least how we "fixed" small non structural cracks on real airplanes when I worked as an A&P (FAA airframe and power plant license)

I was thinking of putting some super glue or epoxy over the crack to try to contain it. I know if I send it to DJI it'll take them 2-3 months to fix it and get it back to me.

If I decide to go the epoxy route, will that affect my warranty in the future?

It won't do a thing. It can't spread anymore, and it probably only happened because the frame needs to flex there.

P3P

I was thinking of putting some super glue or epoxy over the crack to try to contain it. I know if I send it to DJI it'll take them 2-3 months to fix it and get it back to me.

Cyanoacrylate glues such as super glue will not bond with plastic. I would use epoxy or PlastAid.

Again. I'm no expert, but that's basic mechanics.

Now if that was between two motor mount holes...yes that would need to be fixed

P3P

My P3A has 34 flights under her belt and I noticed this crack from the navigation light to one of the motor screws after flight #34. I drew red sharpie lines on either side so I can make sure to keep inspecting it. I can also feel it if I run a nail over it.

Thanks.

Warranty it.

What's DJI's average turnaround time? I've read that it's 2-3 months!

I read recently more like a couple weeks. If it's under warranty I would get it fixed by DJi. Don't ghetto it out with plastidip or whatever if you don't have to.

I have a skin and some reflective tape on my Phantom, will that affect warranty repairs? Pardon the snapchat picture, it's the only recent one I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 418
I have a skin and some reflective tape on my Phantom, will that affect warranty repairs? Pardon the snapchat picture, it's the only recent one I have.

It shouldn't. I'd take the zip ties off an any extra accessories you might have installed. Ask the DJi rep if the skin matters. They shouldn't refuse warranty based on that but you'll lose the skin maybe if they decide to replace bottom and top halves.

If you have one crack, it seems to me you have a decent chance at getting more cracks. That's why I'd send it in. They'll give you a new body that won't ever crack on its own.

Hello,
I don't know what to turnaround is now for sending them in. I do know I sent mine in six months ago and turn around was under four weeks. Knowing it was done by DJI gives me a little more peace. Plus I have a record of it being replaced by factory.

If you have one crack, it seems to me you have a decent chance at getting more cracks. That's why I'd send it in. They'll give you a new body that won't ever crack on its own.

How can you guarantee that? Did they change the body?

P3P

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj