Does the P4 float?

Reaction score
I really, really dont want to learn the hard way ;)
I have a service contract from neary media so i can get it repaired if it get dunked in water for free, so im not extremely worried about breaking the actual electronics inside. What I am worried about is how long the P4 floats for. Do I have 10 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes... or is there some cheap way I can get it to float without effecting the aerodynamics much? I fly over water on a daily basis so this is why I am worried. I recently almost had it crash into water while RTHing, so I am already concerned

Reactions: FirstSgt89
Nope. It sinks like a rock.

Was there any explanation how this crash occurred? I flew over water this weekend and this is what i feared. Ha. Is flying over water a fear, one must just get over.

Ouch.

If you added something like a pool noodle to the gear would this give it enough buoyancy to float...?

The great thing about these things being advertised as flying themselves is the fact that it gets rid of a lot of them within the first couple of days.

It's like buying a boat. Everybody that buys a boat ought to have to go with someone that owns one for a year first. Everybody that buys a multi (or any other flying RC for that matter) ought to have to be signed of by a certified AMA RC pilot/trainer before he can even buy one of these things. {sigh}

I really, really dont want to learn the hard way ;)
I have a service contract from neary media so i can get it repaired if it get dunked in water for free, so im not extremely worried about breaking the actual electronics inside. What I am worried about is how long the P4 floats for. Do I have 10 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes... or is there some cheap way I can get it to float without effecting the aerodynamics much? I fly over water on a daily basis so this is why I am worried. I recently almost had it crash into water while RTHing, so I am already concerned

There are two and only two kinds of RC aircraft.

1. Those that have crashed and
2. Those that are going to crash.

If you can't get past that, go get your money back while you still can.

You can mitigate the risks and they lessen with hours flown, but you will never mitigate all of them.

Not sure about that - the video was presumably from a P2. The only video that I have seen of a P4 landing in water showed it floating, half-submerged, and showing no signs of sinking further. It looked to me as if enough air was trapped inside the shell to keep it buoyant. Of course that might change if it were to capsize or splash upside down.

The great thing about these things being advertised as flying themselves is the fact that it gets rid of a lot of them within the first couple of days.

It's like buying a boat. Everybody that buys a boat ought to have to go with someone that owns one for a year first. Everybody that buys a multi (or any other flying RC for that matter) ought to have to be signed of by a certified AMA RC pilot/trainer before he can even buy one of these things. {sigh}

In the software development community we call that recursion.
In order to be able to fly you must first be able to fly. :)
Get off your high horse. It's not THAT difficult.
My 2cents.

Reactions: ray rokni
Don't count on it staying on the surface for even seconds. The Phantom is full of vent holes. If your concern is recovering it for insurance claim, then add a Getterback.

If you added something like a pool noodle to the gear would this give it enough buoyancy to float...?
I haven't tried it, but I think it would work. However, it would probably negatively affect the performance since the wind would catch it and would most likely just leave your Phantom fully submerged (with just the noodle floating). If all you want to do is be able to retrieve your Phantom, it would be better to zip tie a Getterback to one of the landing gear legs.

The p4 doesn't float..... Check out this video:

Go to the 5:00 mark to see the marine take a swim.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The WaterStrider is a good option as well. Plus it provides camera protection and the ability to actually operate on and off of the water if desired.

Full disclosure: I'm a Co-Founder of the company.

51546cfd2cdbbc985d98629cb7b93fca.jpg

Reactions: BarryP
The WaterStrider is a good option as well. Plus it provides camera protection and the ability to actually operate on and off of the water if desired.

Full disclosure: I'm a Co-Founder of the company.

51546cfd2cdbbc985d98629cb7b93fca.jpg
Wow! What is the price?
Best regards from Croatia....

Reactions: Adam Morrison
The p4 doesn't float..... Check out this video:

Go to the 5:00 mark to see the marine take a swim.

casey neistat, how many drones crashed [emoji848]

Reactions: Geeno
I'm new to drones and I fly my P4 over water every day. I sent an inquiry on kickstart and I'm looking forward to learning more. In the meantime, please give us pricing information for purchase in the CONUS.

@Croatian drone and @apex1

We are ramping up production currently and delivering to our Kickstarter backers first. With that said, we have decided our pricing and we'll be announcing that and some other details very soon. We have a Pre-Order notification list that will be getting this information first. The list is growing rapidly and we are planning our production to meet the demand that we are seeing. You can add you name and contact information at Pre-Order to get on the notification list.

You can also learn some more on the forum here at:
Introducing WaterStrider—Make Confident Takeoffs & Landings Anywhere

Reactions: Croatian drone
casey neistat, how many drones crashed [emoji848]

Hes on his 6th one now i think. And thats not even including the 3 DJI sent him which he gave away.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj